Camper / Container

Lynn

Expedition Leader
Yet another weird thought from someone who doesn't know any better.

Let's say you are planning on building a truck camper to travel the world, one way to get it from continent to continent is ISO (intermodal) container... (Flat rack is another option, but doesn't provide any protection.)

The standard container is 8'6" high, and the 'high cube' container is 9'6". From what I read, designing a camper that's low enough to fit into the container presents some challenges.

The smallest standard container is 20' long. As a point of reference, the Bigfoot camper that the Hackney's used is only 18" shorter (18'6").

A camper interior has a lot of 'air space' inside. If all the cabinets/appliances/beds/tables/ect. could be rearranged, without regard to use, into the smallest possible space, the space required would be pretty small.

So, would it be possible to design 8'-wide, 8'6"-high, 20'-long camper box such that you could drive up to the port, off-load the camper, rearrange the interior, back the truck in, close the door, and ship the package as an intermodal container?

Yes, containers are heavy. But would it have to be? If you had to design it such that it would hold up even if on the bottom of a stack, then some parts of the structure (basically the corners) would have to be very stout indeed. Everything else could use modern, light-weight construction (NidaCore and Aluminum?).

Picture this tank container without the tank:

4294284_m.jpg

Then enclose it with the NidaCore/Aluminum walls and floor.

Or, could you design it lighter and specify that it always be on the top of the stack? I haven't checked into that yet.

You could put a full-size, drop-down door on the end that doubles as a patio:

ExtremeCamper%20ACM80%2001.jpg

Heavy items like liquid/fuel tanks, batteries, etc, could remain on the truck chassis, but would have to have quick-disconnects.

You'd probably want shutters that you could close over the windows to protect them, too.

I know, I'm nutz.

haven

Expedition Leader
outside the container thinking

Love the concept, but in practice a Nida-Core box won't be strong enough to withstand the rough handling by the port container moving machines. A Nida-Core box won't be strong enough to have a container or two stacked on top of it, either.

An empty steel 20 foot shipping container weights about 4500 lbs, so you'd need a medium duty truck chassis to carry it.

The door on a shipping container has the following dimensions:
End Door Width: 92 in
End Door Height: Standard 89 in, High cube 101 in

When I first started reading this thread, I thought you were going to suggest a modular truck, with component parts that disassemble to fit into a standard shipping container. Or maybe use the shipping container as the exo-frame for the vehicle, with axles that detach and fit inside somehow.

Chip Haven

OS-Aussie

Adventurer
haven said:
Love the concept, but in practice a Nida-Core box won't be strong enough to withstand the rough handling by the port container moving machines. A Nida-Core box won't be strong enough to have a container or two stacked on top of it, either.

An empty steel 20 foot shipping container weights about 4500 lbs, so you'd need a medium duty truck chassis to carry it.

The door on a shipping container has the following dimensions:
End Door Width: 92 in
End Door Height: Standard 89 in, High cube 101 in

When I first started reading this thread, I thought you were going to suggest a modular truck, with component parts that disassemble to fit into a standard shipping container. Or maybe use the shipping container as the exo-frame for the vehicle, with axles that detach and fit inside somehow.

Chip Haven

Now I would like to see that !!!! cool ideas

Lynn

Expedition Leader
haven said:
Love the concept, but in practice a Nida-Core box won't be strong enough to withstand the rough handling by the port container moving machines.

haven said:
A Nida-Core box won't be strong enough to have a container or two stacked on top of it, either.

I think I failed to explain well enough.

My proposed box would have the same frame as the 'tank container' I showed above. The moving machines grab (or lift) the frame. The frame is also what supports the stack. Think of it like an exoskeleton.

The NidaCore wall inserts, within the frame, would form the walls. Aluminum-clad NidaCore can withstand moderate abuse.

haven said:
An empty steel 20 foot shipping container weights about 4500 lbs

OK, but how much does a tank container minus the tank weigh? Probably still too much...

Can it be constructed lighter, and still support the stack/stand up to the handling? Probably.

Light enough to build into a camper? Possibly.

Especially if there is some way you can designate the container/camper as ‘top-of-stack only” Then the exoskeleton only has to support its own weight (when it’s lifted from the top).

paulj

Expedition Leader
Sounds like it would be lot easier to design a camper that collapses enough to fit inside a conventional box. Like you said, there is plenty of empty space inside a camper box.
paulj

Lynn

Expedition Leader
Joaquin Suave said:
I think the basic rule of thumb is...8 loaded cans have to be able to be stacked on it & 5 loaded be able to fall over on it. It has to take the 5 can fall too.

These were the big design block the composit ISO can people were grappling with.

There goes that idea.

Thanks, Joaquin, for the input.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
I'm sure dmc could chime in here, but I heard about a similar issue in his travels (shipping to Columbia). A rig with a camper wouldn't fit in the standard container, they ended up shipping it on the deck of the freighter, crazy expensive to do. I wouldn't have put much thought into OAH until now, definately something to think about in advance...

paulj

Expedition Leader
Speaking of deck shipping, here's a picture of a barge in the Inside passage of British Columbia, probably on its way to Alaska. Note the trucks, boats, and pipes on top of the shipping containers. This was taken from the deck of a BC ferry on the way to Prince Rupert.

paulj

Last edited:

BiG BoB

Adventurer
I reckon modifying a seatainer (as theyre known here) to have an interior of a camper, with shuttered windows would be the go.

This would of course ride around on a truck, which could fit inside of a second (rental) seatainer for transport by ship.

Sean

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz

Members online