m416 new axle size?

VDBAZFJ

Adventurer
Today I got my trailer in the garage and removed wheels. Armygreen, I'm using same wheels and tires as you. My original axle is 57" from mounting surface to mounting surface. If I ran same size axle, inside of tires would fit about 1.5" from tub. If I ran a 55" like you did, I suspect they would rub on the tub. I intend to build some new fenders so I can cover the tires. Im just trying to decide on axle length.

Was your original axle 55" also?

Thanks for any info.
Aaron

armygreen

Adventurer
Original axle was 57 i think. Less backspacing of the FJ wheel compared to the military ones.
New one works perfectly. With the FJ wheels and 265/70/17 i have about 1.5" from rubbing on the inside.
I also just threw a set of shock on it. The old ones where shot. KYB 344426 at $25 a piece. Perfect fit.

VDBAZFJ

Adventurer
Thanks for that part number. I was just thinking about shocks yesterday.

I bought a 56" alco axle locally for $94. I already had brakes and hubs. Hope to trial fit tomorrow. I guess furlough days Re worth something!

Javelinadave

Adventurer
Reviving an old thread instead of starting a new one.
Where did you guys order your axle and how much did you pay delivered to your door?
I'm looking to put a 6x5.5 axle with FJ Cruiser steelie's on my M416.
Thanks,
Dave

armygreen

Adventurer
I got mine from a local place called six states distributing. They deal with all sorts of offroad, heavy truck, and trailer parts delivered to there shop where I picked it up $131.
I looked at a general store/ farm store called big R. Price was about the same.
Checked at a place called six robbles that specialize in truck parts and they wanted $280!
Same axle, same maker, same options.

Area52

Adventurer
Reviving an old thread instead of starting a new one.
Where did you guys order your axle and how much did you pay delivered to your door?
I'm looking to put a 6x5.5 axle with FJ Cruiser steelie's on my M416.
Thanks,
Dave

I bought mine from Southwest Trailer for around $250-270, but that was with electric brakes.

Total width was 57" and fits perfectly.

I mounted it on the trailer shown here, not the tan one I had posted previously.

Jim

http://www.trailerpart.com/

viewFile.html

viewFile.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior