m416 new axle size?

armygreen

Adventurer
I am getting ready to throw a new axle under the m416 so I can run the same wheel/tire combo as the Toyota. I was wondering what size others have used when swapping out to new axle? I am wanting to run Toyota lug pattern and wanted to run 265/70/17 tires. I was looking at 57" hub face to hub face, and 39" spring center to spring center. Does this sound right to you? Thanks for the help.

Box Rocket

What model Toyota are you towing with? track width on my FZJ80 is 63.5". I did a 64" hub to hub axle on my trailer.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
I cheat when measuring for an axle.

1. pin to pin just measure it.
2. sorce your wheels and tires, and place them beside the trailer with equal side clearence.
3. can you get the bolt pattern you need or do you need adapters? " if you need adapters subtract them from your measurement x 2"
4. measure the face to face measurement.

5 order the axle now that you have your correct measurements.

armygreen

Adventurer
on re measurements I think 55" will work. But might still go 57". Still looking for others that have done the swap to see what size you went with.

Last edited:

Flashole

Adventurer
I went with 57". Looks good, but kind of wish I had gone with an inch or two shorter, just so that it fit the stock fenders a little better. I will eventually end up replacing the fenders anyway, so even that isn't much of an issue.

Don't remember spring center distance. I'm sure it's the same as yours though.
Tow vehicle is Jeep TJ
My wheels have 3.75" of back spacing.
Tires when aired down have about a 1/2" overhang/bulge.

Bennyhana

Adventurer
I ordered a 57" axle and then had to add 1.5" spacers because the hubs wouldn't fit through the JK rubicon rims. The 1.5" spacers were a little to short as well and had to slightly modify the dust caps for the ez-lube hubs.

Flashole

Adventurer
I ordered a 57" axle and then had to add 1.5" spacers because the hubs wouldn't fit through the JK rubicon rims. The 1.5" spacers were a little to short as well and had to slightly modify the dust caps for the ez-lube hubs.

He makes a good point. My new axle wouldn't fit my old stock wheels either. Luckily, I was putting aftermarket steelies on there anyway.

Make sure that the wheels you will be using will fit the new hub spindle. If not, you could probably just save yourself money by keeping the old axle and just ordering spacers. Of course, that won't give you electric brakes if that's what your goal is.

armygreen

Adventurer
I was looking to run these wheels and as you can see with the center cap off it allows the axle to come through.
pa140100.jpg

Bennyhana

Adventurer
The axle hubs will always be in the same relationship with the wheel mating surface no matter how long the axle is. If you run a rim with a center hole smaller than 2 5/8th" the rim will not fit over the hub.

italia

Observer
Box Rocket: What kind of trailer do yo have?Looking to swap the axle on my 1967 M416 trailer.I'll be using 285/75R16 same size as my 96 Land Cruiser.Thanks in advance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94