Diamond Plate sides?

klb67

Observer
My trailer may not be completely helpful to you, but I went with 1/8" steel floor (not DP) and 16 gauge (1/16") steel sides (also not DP). I think the 1/16" floor would have been okay and considered it, but decided it might not stand up to loading fire wood - that sort of thing. I'm not sure how aluminum DP changes that equation other than being much lighter. My floor in 4.5'x6' 1/8 steel is about 133 pounds. Perhaps overkill but I went with it.

DrtTrac

Yeah, I went with 10 gauge steel DP on the floor and went ahead and picked up the 1/16 aluminum for the sides. I'm building the trailer as a 4x6 with 24" sides and changed my mind as I was going to just have expanded metal sides as I don't really have to worry about the elements here in AZ. But thinking down the road I did want to try to keep as much dust out as possible, so I changed and went with the high polished DP sides and will add a canvas cover at a later date once I have some real world experience with it. My tailgate is going to be a bi-fold expanded metal ramp gate for loading a quad when necessary, so I may add the DP to the opposite sides of the mesh to make it all tie together. It's definitely a chore to try to plan this all out in your head and then as you build it, find you need/ want something completely different.

dumprat

Adventurer
I used an old box liner turned inside out on mine. 1/8" and it just about right. I have hauled a bunch of wood in it, crashed it through the bush, backed into trees and only barely dented it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles