10K for an Expedition Trailer? Not in the budget, Custom Exp Trailer to follow...

capnjackcanon

Observer
I live here in Phoenix as well & I use Glendale Powder Coating. They are awesome to deal with, priced right, and quick turn around times. We have used them for years and never had a single issue.

@Shlaytim Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check them out!

capnjackcanon

Observer
Some updates, I picked up some more steel today and have been working out how I want the skin on my trailer to look. Very much still in progress, but here we go! Also, I welded up my back door last week and I'll be welding up a bumper and integrating the rear lights into it. Also, I'll be making 4 side doors for the trailer, using .5" square tube and piano hinges. I picked up the square tube and the skins to cover it, but AZMetals was out of Piano Hinges, so I'll get those whenever they call me to let me know they're in.

IMG_0038.jpg

IMG_0036.jpg

IMG_0035.jpg

Argh, sorry the photo's are sideways, weird.

Also, you can see I've started my kitchenette, I installed it yesterday and even installed the slides for it. The slides I got were fairly cheap, and they are not feeling sexy. They are not smooth and they are a pain, so I think I will be looking for another solution, but for the moment they will stay until I come up with something better.

Any suggestions on slides you've had good experience would be very appreciated. I used 18" side mounted slides that you can kind of see in the photo's above.

Thanks for watching!

Last edited:

Xrunner

Explorer
Also, you can see I've started my kitchenette, I installed it yesterday and even installed the slides for it. The slides I got were fairly cheap, and they are not feeling sexy. They are not smooth and they are a pain, so I think I will be looking for another solution, but for the moment they will stay until I come up with something better.

Any suggestions on slides you've had good experience would be very appreciated. I used 18" side mounted slides that you can kind of see in the photo's above.

Thanks for watching!

Nice progress! Have you considered making your own slides out of skateboard bearings and steel?

capnjackcanon

Observer
Nice progress! Have you considered making your own slides out of skateboard bearings and steel?

@Xrunner A buddy of mine have been thinking about the best solution for slides for the last two weeks. We had finally determined we wanted to build our own slides with bearings and steel like you suggest when his dad brought home industrial grade slides from an office building that he had just broken down for work.

So I'm going to go with his slides for now, but I might build my own slides for my refrigerator, I let you know how that goes.

I've welded on some more skin, welded the roof skin and another back piece on. This week I'll build the doors for the forward hold. I'm looking for a good sized potable water tank, I want to put a 30-40 gallon water tank on my axle, but i'm having a hard time finding one that's the right dimensions. I'd like my water tank to be less than 48" long, less than 12" deep, and no more than 12" wide. If you know of one please throw links in my direction!

1Louder

Explorer
Looking good. Thanks for the link to my site. Hopefully I can give you a hand next week. Yes, that IKEA sink is the best deal around. Even if you put a Waterbrick above a sink and gravity feed its very nice to have a sink. There are some very good drawer slides on eBay for around $120. Expedition Inspired sells them as well. You for sure don't want your stuff rattling around and you want it to be easy to move in and out.

Remember Don't Rush your project! Many a great friend helped me with my build and I am happy to return the favor with others when I can.

capnjackcanon

Observer
Update:

Hey folks, it's been a while since I uploaded pics so I thought I'd throw a few up.

Here are some up to date side views

rightsidebackangle.jpg
rightsidedoorup.jpg
rightsidebackangle.jpg

This shows progress of welding the tire wells together. I fabbed these up using 16 gauge cold rolled steel sheets and 16 gauge 1" square tube. I was able to stand on them and feel pretty solid after installation. They will be painted with Herculiner a different color from the top box.

Thanks for your feedback guys, @1Louder I'm trying to take my time, but we camped this weekend without a trailer and it was a MESS! Could not find stuff, definitely looking forward for this trailer to be up and ready for action!

01792CEA-FDAC-464E-B998-2E849C1D17E7.JPG
B6782E97-5175-485F-82B1-FF89D15888E5.JPG
AC6BC595-7DF3-4F61-8497-2335EA90D49E.JPG

1Louder

Explorer
Thanks for your feedback guys, @1Louder I'm trying to take my time, but we camped this weekend without a trailer and it was a MESS! Could not find stuff, definitely looking forward for this trailer to be up and ready for action!

I get it. It will also take a while to get used to using your trailer and how you will want to pack it. I have made many iterations on where to store stuff. I am still sold on the FrontRunner boxes and cheaper clear boxes from The Container Store that are waterproof. Here's a post on my site regarding some options, http://www.4xoverlandadventures.com/storage-solutions/

This sums up my philosophy on storage:
The requirements:
1. Be flexible (the solution should make it easy to move things from vehicle, to trailer, to roof rack)
2. Be waterproof (whenever possible we want boxes to at least be water resistant) weather changes at a moments notice
3. Be stackable and secure (think Legos™. You want the ability to stack items securely and in a variety of configurations
4. Be lightweight (while the items you pack can greatly vary we don't like any single storage solution to be so heavy that it takes 2 people to move it.
5. Be affordable (in the Overlanding world this is not always possible but we try our best)

Sorry for the thread drift. I just like to keep things small and compact even if it means 5 boxes vs 1 because then I can move things from trailer, to vehicle, to roof rack, to bring in someone else's vehicle as required. Maybe I will see you later today to give you a hand.

capnjackcanon

Observer
**Build Update**

Hey folks, another update here.

I've gone ahead and welded up the forward doors and both wheel wells. My brother in law took me to a new metal shop in downtown phoenix, called Industrial Metal Supply. I found some awesome steps there, and basically was able to add a little reinforcement and trim them to size and just weld them on. They look great and I definitely won't have any trouble slipping on the surface.

So here's the pics, I just need to build the roof rack next and then grind, grind, grind away at all of the seems.

IMG_0169.jpg[/ATTACH]IMG_0172.jpg[/ATTACH]IMG_0167.jpg

capnjackcanon

Observer
So all said and done, I need to build the bumper, tire carrier, water/gasoline rack, kitchenette and power.

Also I need to attach hardware for keeping the doors shut, and after paint I'll install all of my weather strip seals.

Also on the list I will end up caulking up the interior. Even though it's probably 95% water tight, from the top, I still need to seal it just to be anal.

Oh, and I forgot, now that I'm done adding stuff to the exterior it's time for my metal flooring, I've gotta take everything out of the trailer that I've been storing inside of it and take my measurements so I can get my sheet from AZ Metals.

capnjackcanon

Observer
More pics to add... I sealed and painted yesterday and installed tail lights.

IMG_0199.jpg

IMG_0198.jpg

Left to do:

Roof Rack

Kitchenette : I'm totally vacillating on what I want here, I either want a countertop on slides that just pops out all setup, or I want a real minimalist setup that gets hung on the passenger side of the trailer just behind the fwd bay door. I like the design of the UEV 440 how you drop in the sinks there, I'm toying with having a quick disconnect on the skin of the trailer on driver side and then just have the kitchenette fold out somehow.

Mount the water tanks and gas tanks

Canon Adventure Decals

Electrical Solutions, solar and more.

capnjackcanon

Observer
Hey folks, took the trailer out this weekend after adding a roof rack and a TJM Yulara RTT. Was tons of fun and super functional, loved having all of the space to pack gear in the trailer and still have a ton of space inside the jeep for comfy trail riding.

IMG_0084.jpg
IMG_0088.jpg
IMG_0035.jpg

I haven't sorted out a kitchenette setup just yet, and haven't purchased an on-board water tank yet, I'm pretty happy with the 15 gallons I get from my current water configuration, so I might just stick with that for now. I know on a longer trip I will want the 40 gallon + the 15, but I've got until March before I do a longer trip.

I am planning a June trip to Moab with a neighbor, we'd be there for about 10 days, including the travel to and from.

We have also decided to trade in the wife's commuter car for another Jeep, or a 4Runner if we can find one at the right price. Then we will put roof top tents on both vehicles and install drawers and what not in the back of the Jeep, should be fun!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears