"Bullet Proof" My Jeep 4.0

Chuck59

Observer
I would like some ideas to "Bullet Proof" my Jeep Inline 6 / 4.0 motor. I know the basic engine is reliable, but what can I do to keep it that way? I already do the basic stuff like change oil with good synthetic and watch other fluids religiously. Is there anything / advice that I can do more than good basic maintenance?

locrwln

Expedition Leader
What year is your motor?

You avatar looks like an LJ. The 2004's are pretty well set, the '05-'06's have a problem with the OPDA (they changed to design at the end of the run)

Search for the "stripper guy" mod on JeepForum.

Other than that and the catalytic converters (the two just below the manifold are prone to blowing out), there isn't much else that they need.

Jack

OverlandLJ

(Most) Every part has a recommended service life, that differs based on the components age, usage and quality. To maintain maximum reliability, you must service or change that part before the service life expires.

Some people accomplish this easily by buying a new vehicle every so often. Most people run parts until they break and deal with them at that point.

My suggestion for maximum reliability is to follow recommended maintenance, and thoroughly go over a vehicle each time before heading out into the bush. If you are worried about a certain part, get it checked out, fixed, or carry a spare (although this last one is not always practical.)

OttawaXJ

Observer
Carry a spare IAC, TPS, CPS and O2. Those are really the only things that go and they take 5 minutes and a screw driver to replace. I wait until they act up then replace immediately with a spare then run out and grab a new one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier