From Russia with Love: A Ural Gear-Up Project

Scott Brady

Founder
New tires!
977456_10151901948493275_663890665_o.jpg

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Out of curiosity, does a passenger in the sidecar need to wear a helmet Stateside....? Probably a good idea too, but here in the UK, on a sidecar outfit, the rider must wear one, a pillion must wear one, but someone sitting in the sidecar is exempt from wearing a helmet.
As Scott implies, the motorcycle helmet laws in the U.S. are on a state-by-state basis, so in 31 of the 50 states, no adult is required to wear a helmet. In fact, only 19 states now have laws requiring everyone to wear a helmet. Illinois, Iowa and New Hampshire don't require anyone to wear a helmet, and in the remaining 28 states, riders must wear a helmet if under a certain age (which is most commonly 17 but is as high as 20 in a half-dozen states). Interestingly, around 1970, virtually every state required helmet use for everyone; the current situation is the result of many states repealing the original legislation and putting in required coverage only for young riders.

I could find no evidence of any state making an exemption for sidecar passengers if riders/pillions needed helmets. Given the astonishingly small number of sidecar rigs in the U.S., our lobbying effort doesn't amount to much. ;)

P.S.: Hey, Scott, nice Ural . . . wanna race (on pavement)? :sombrero:

745558774_snotg-L.jpg

Philthyphil

Observer
Is there a minimum age for a sidecar passenger? I guess I assumed there is a seat belt in the hack and if so, couldn't you put an infant car seat in there if you we're so inclined??? :Wow1:

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Is there a minimum age for a sidecar passenger? I guess I assumed there is a seat belt in the hack and if so, couldn't you put an infant car seat in there if you we're so inclined??? :Wow1:
You're probably legally safe, since the last time I saw a list, only four states--AK, HI, LA and WA--had age limits on on motorcycle passengers, sidecar or not.

Practically, though, it could be a challenge. Not all sidecars have seatbelts (they are not required) and those that do might be at a bad angle or come through the seat at a bad place. And in some states, you have to find a helmet that will do more good than harm, which is tough for a five-year-old and probably impossible for an infant. A windshield on the car would be important. And if you ballasted the hack for an adult passenger, you'll need more weight. And I suppose that someone, somewhere, would think you a terrible parent.

That said, though, sidecars are overall much safer than two-wheelers and I've got to believe that hauling a young child in a sidecar is at least an order of magnitude safer than having them ride pillion.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
Tell us about running it on the street and especially with a passenger. Is it scary? Is it easy? Do you have to go slower than traffic? I'm a dirt biker and don't love 2 up on the KTM 950 that much so do you think a this rig feels safer or is it just a fun toy?

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
I don't know the questions relate just Scott's Ural or sidecars in general. As for a Ural, they, particularly in this country, are what most people visualize when they think of sidecar rigs and all new sidecar rigs from a motorcycle manufacturer are Urals. (Harley made their last sidecar a few years back.) But Urals are not fast--"glacially slow," one Brit bike magazine put it--and they have there own wide variety of idiosyncrasies, which are well-reported on the internet, so there's plenty of information to help you make up your mind. My experience is that they can be a lot of fun if you've set appropriate expectations, but judging by the number quickly resold, it is easy to be disappointed.

If the question is about sidecars in general . . . I have many decades of experience on both two and three wheels and am firmly, utterly, irrevocably convinced that sidecars are much safer. There are two reasons for this. The most important is that you don't fall over. Hit diesel fuel, wet leaves, a railroad track at a shallow angle, ad infinitum, and you can be toast on a two-wheeler. On three wheels, no problem. The second is that sidecars are physically bigger, and being uncommon, seem to be easier for the cagers to notice. A sidecar rig is simply not as prone to bad luck as a two-wheeler. (And you can take some measure of how strongly I believe this by considering that I never go two-wheeling without being armored and in a full-face helmet, whereas I will drive a sidecar in street clothes and an open-faced helmet.)

A passenger always seems to make my motorcycling sub-optimal, particularly when I have an untrained pillion. They are always clunking helmets, fidgeting, shifting weight the wrong way, sliding into my already-limited seat area, etc. And having a passenger makes simply mounting and dismounting an adventure. None of that is an issue when you put them in a sidecar. They have more room, better weather protection, can usually see more, etc. I've not had any passenger who'd rather be pillion than be in the car. And the ballast provided by the passenger's weight often makes the sidecar handle better, especially in right turns, where the passenger's weight keeps the car wheel from flying.

HOWEVER, sidecar driving is not motorcycle riding. They have some things in common, but the feeling of speed, freedom, nimbleness, etc. you'd have with something like a KTM950 isn't available in a sidecar. You drive a sidecar rig; you steer it around corners--"manhandle" it around corners in the case of some rigs--as opposed to leaning and countersteering. So they can be scary if you are new to them and what you know about handling a motorcycle will actually be an impediment. But it is not difficult to learn to ride a sidecar well if you have decent instruction. You simply end up with two non-interchangeable skill sets and you learn to think "I'm going out to drive the sidecar" rather than "I'm going out to ride the motorcycle that has the sidecar attached." Having only a sidecar rig would, I regret to say, be to give up motorcycling as you've known it.

There are all different kinds of sidecar rigs, and some are an impediment to traffic

scooter sidecar.jpg

while some will cruise all day at triple digits.

ZX-14 sidecar.jpg

My current middle-of-the-road FJ1200 is very well set up--and proper setup is critical, as it's pretty easy to get an evil-handling rig if you just toss bike and car together--and will cruise down the interstate at 70 all day without a hint of drama. But I also had a /2-based rig that couldn't touch 50 if there was any headwind and an R90S rig with a giant enclosed car that I wouldn't stop straight to save its/my soul. So how well a rig works, and how safe they are, is pretty much a case-by-case issue. But I assure you, a well-setup sidecar with enough power and brakes has many fine advantages in the hands of a competent rider, and is a much safer proposition than a two-wheeler ridden with the same competence.

Last edited:

m(a)ce

Adventurer
Great rig. The style is fantastic.

and congrats on the anniversary!

I'm interested to hear about the maintenance & tweaks to keep her running. From reading some of the Ural forums they seem to have some quirks. Wondering about the build quality & reliability of the newer models. Please keep us posted. :)

Scott Brady

Founder
I don't know the questions relate just Scott's Ural or sidecars in general.

Thanks for the detailed insight Mike. For me, the Ural is the perfect Prescott runabout and Stephanie LOVES riding around in it. We just went out again today and explored some new trails.

969995_10151925928753275_1473399764_n.jpg

936290_10151925928683275_771724923_n.jpg

969500_10151925928758275_1047468531_n.jpg

The knobbies have been a HUGE improvement in the dirt. I would say the performance in 1WD is nearly as effective as the street tires in 2WD. Traction has increased exponentially. This is also true for turning grip, as the stock tires wanted to understeer significantly, particularly with the 2WD engaged. With the front knobby, steering effectiveness and directness are much better, as is stopping performance. The opposite can be said of these attributes when on the road ;)

988702_10151925928748275_574227238_n.jpg

Scott Brady

Founder
A great video from Austin Vince and Lois Pryce
[video=vimeo;9444789]https://vimeo.com/9444789[/video]

These two are a serious inspiration.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the detailed insight Mike. For me, the Ural is the perfect Prescott runabout and Stephanie LOVES riding around in it. We just went out again today and explored some new trails.
Thanks for the great pictures, Scott. And thanks for showing a Gear Up on knobbies and dirt. That don't happen as much as it should, and it's good to see it getting dialed in. :clapsmile:

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Scott, those tires are positively chunkerific. Glad to hear the three of you are enjoying some P-town fun together. That's what it's all about; fun in your own backyard.

Scott Brady

Founder
Scott, those tires are positively chunkerific. Glad to hear the three of you are enjoying some P-town fun together. That's what it's all about; fun in your own backyard.

Yeah, I am using it as an excuse to fill in all the blanks for routes we have yet to explore. I have found some really nice loops now for testing other bikes.

Stephanie also gave it a go at "driving" the Ural. The sidecar is surprisingly comfortable.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
OK I have to ask. Now you have had a good play with it!!!!! How much of the AZ traverse could be done on 3 wheels (remembering I have the grossly more expensive BMW roundel on mine with only 1 wheel drive)?

IMG_1149-M.jpg

2wd_Engaged

As a Ural owner for 2 years, I thought I might answer a few questions about them:

1) Yes, it is almost a law that dogs in the sidecar must wear doggles. It just looks cool.

2) Seatbelts are easy to add. The sidecar tub is heavy steel, so bolt on anything with a fat washer.
Small kids and dogs that might jump out are better belted in. Dogs get chest harnesses. Rollbars
are occaisionally added. The sidecar will easily fit a full adult near 6' tall and 250lbs.

3) The seat is easily removed, leaving a large area for a child seat, dog mat, groceries, 5 50 lbs
bags of feed, rototillers, and much more. Consider the limit at about 450 lbs, passenger and gear.

4) Knobby tires will take you all kinds of places. Often an aggressive street front tire feels
better that a knobby. If you get the 2wd, select it only when off road or in snow. The bike
is good in snow up until it reaches the bottom of the sidecar frame. It will not fall over
if you slip on ice, it will slide sideways like a car. With heavy coveralls, and heated grips,
I ride all winter including snowstorms and -5F (so far). Russian bikes understand winter.

5) The sidecar takes some getting used to. Start with some weight, perhaps 50 or 80 lbs in the hack.
Practice figure eights in a parking lot. The "dead weight" on one side will tend to pull you
to one side or the other. Accelerating, or going up a hill, the extra weight will pull you to
the right. When braking, it will push to the left. You "drive" a sidecar, and after decades of
riding you will still have to practice and take it easy for a while.

6) It feels like you are going much faster than you really are if you are sitting in the sidecar.
Once broken in, the bike will do 65+ mph, however a passenger will often prefer less than 45 mph.
In the sidecar, the adult passenger can relax, and even sleep. The passenger can look around
and see more that shoulders, and does not have to hold onto a sweaty guy. The passenger can be
tucked in with a sheepskin on frosty days.

7) Soviet Steeds is your source for Ural knowledge. The sidecar is not only larger, it is distinctive,
so cages are "more likely" to notice you are there. You never put your feet down for support, and
hand shifters are common accessories, so people with one leg, or bad knees and backs like them.

8) Urals are heavy steel and moderately powered. They will take you way off the road if you are not in
a hurry. They are for enjoying the trip, not for getting there fast. Like any "nitch" product,
you will love it or hate it. It is too different from 2 wheels to just feel like your other bike.

9) Pics below show big bags with a folding Klepper kayak tied accross the back of a Ural. Pick some backroads,
pack a lunch and generous supply of gear and enjoy the day. Be pepaired for some conversation.
Urals attract attention, and Urals with kayaks attract more atention. Perhaps if I could add a cute kid
and a dog...

https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0B-8IwFXXY386WGRoTk1BUHJISzg/edit?usp=drive_web&pli=1

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne