2013 Shoei GT-Air helmet

SWbySWesty

Fauxverland Extraodinaire
I just upgraded my helmet. I had a Sparx Retro helmet for the past 6 years for long tours and lots of sweaty canyon days. This is the greatest upgrade ever! :roost: The GT-Air breathes extremely well without throwing wind over your eyes inside the helmet. It's extremely quiet - I don't wear earplugs anymore and I've got a LOUD 400! Close up the vents and it's even quieter. This helmet was made with a wind tunnel and it feels like it. While being extremely light, it sits very well in the windstream (I have no windshield). I imagine that with a windshield, it sound like riding in a car. The outer visor is 99%UV protected. There in an inner drop down sun visor like a fighterpilot helmet. No more switching from clear to dark visors! The plastic is crystal clear (I'm sure a few rocks etc will change that). This sun visor is also 99% UV protected. The paint is excellent and all the moving parts feel high quality...which I definitely paid for. There is an inner liner to the outside visor which deters fog. I haven't had a chance to really test it as CA isn't that cold, but I haven't fogged it up yet! It's supposed to eliminate fogging completely. This is also an extremely comfortable helmet. The padding is high quality and is soft on my face. There are also two built in safety tabs which EMTs are trained to see which allow the helmet to be removed with ease in case of a supposed neck injury thus reducing risk of further injury.

I give it 5 stars! :roost: While not a review for a dirt helmet, most people ride their motorcycles much more on road than offroad. This is an excellent touring helmet and it'll do the down n dirty just fine in the canyons.

azxc

I ride this helmet as well ('99 KLR 650) and would agree that it's super quiet with solid features and worth the extra cost.

eatthepeach

Observer
azxc and SWbySWesty, have either of you ridden with an Arai Signet (not the newer Q), and if so, how does the GT-Air compare? Thanks.

Shane1972

I have been running the GT Air for the last year and seen everything from cold and rainy German days to boiling hot Egypt days. It is the best breathing helmet I have ever used. The only hold back is that the chin vent is so big, I have literally had bugs make it all the way through and into the helmet and still be alive. A little stunned, but alive. Not too fun when it's a bee. Fortunately I was able to get the shield open and release my captive before getting stung. This has only happened 2 times over about 8,000 miles so it's a rare occurrence.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles