Camper Shells: your experiences and suggestions

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
Ive said it before, and Ill say it again, I love my ARE. The ONLY regret, is not having win-doors in the sides. The shell is very strong, and I routinely have over 400 pounts on the roof at any given point with zero problems.

If I ever buy a new one, it will be the exact same, only with windoors.

~James

Dave

Explorer
Haggis said:
As soon as the snow starts falling around here the windows get all mucked up and there is no visibility at all, same for dusty road travel.

Yep, I meant to add that to my initial post and forgot to. The back window on the one I had went to hell even in wet weather, didn't matter if it was frozen or not. I had thought about adding a universal defrosting kit or a back glass wiper. I think that would have helped.

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
Get the windoors!

I have a Ranch brand on my 02 DC Taco and hate the brand. It's too heavy and the bottom rail is fiberglass and not bonded to a metal rim, so I am still fighting to seal it. On my previous truck I bought a used cheap $75 contractor model and it was great for what I used it for. Light enough I could put it on and off for each trip, had the windoors and a stout roof rack. That said, now that I have a deck built (aka bajataco) I am a full time cap guy now. I REALLY wish I had windoors, so much I was willing to send it back to the factory to retro fit them, but they said my design prohibits them from being installed. I see them all the time on craigslist for less than half what they are new (wait and buy one there) but either makes sure it has the windoors or that they can be added!

hth Jay in NY

articulate

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the responses.

Regarding rear visibility, uh, take a look at that first photo I displayed - we ain't got none now now except for a back up camera I installed. I do suggest one of these if you've blocked your rearward view.

KC, kid(s). :) What I've been thinking about is when Greg and I take the girls out, that they might like to have their own place to sleep. When Chloe hits 2 years old, our Eezi-Awn is going to be way too small.

Nic also hit something that I was thinking: with a good shell, I can also fit a larger RTT if I need it. As the truck is now, there's no way a larger Eezi-Awn will fit.

So, A.R.E. comes with good reviews, as do the windoors. Copy that. I love that tool box idea on one side. That makes sense, too.

A problem I've found via web searches is that there are not many shells available for the crew cab Frontier . . .

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
Most shells can handle a pretty good amount of weight, but a RTT over time might weaken attachment points depending on the shell brand and how you mount it. I'd suggest three crossbars for a RTT on a shell to distribute the weight better. Another member here, Howard70, has a very clean custom internal cage he had fabbed for inside his ARE shell because he routinely carries a lot of weight up top. Something like that is an option and if done right won't affect usable space inside the shell.

I have the ARE shell with windoors and love it.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I've not had any direct experience with ARE but I've looked at quite a few of them and they seem to be very well built. My Raven (built by Glasstite) was an awesome shell, very high quality. Based on price and number of features, I think ARE is near the top of the camper shell hierarchy.

However, I think if you are really serious about keeping weight on top of the shell, you might want to consider a Gemtop steel sheel. Expensive and heavy but very rugged!

Just from my limited experience I am not impressed with Leer. As I said above, the biggest positive of my present Leer shell is that it was dirt cheap and is adequate for now. But I do dream of a nice ARE with win-doors!

articulate

Expedition Leader
With Mario's and Martin's reports on the Gemtop, I will check those out. Martin, BTW, I read every word of your impressive posting (and all the others), thanks for your extensive input.

I do have this peculiar-truck-with-a-short-bed thing to contend with. I've found that SnugTop makes a really slick looking canopy. Do those loading bars do much for anybody, in terms of function and form? I have to find out about the load capacities. Chuck's point about fabbing up some supports holds water, IMO:
snug_top_frontier.jpg

Here's a Leer, loaded with yaks:
leer_frontier.jpg

For the sake of being international, here's a trippy looking canopy that they have down under. I don't think it's available in the U.S., and it wouldn't do what I need done. Interesting nevertheless:
sport-nissan-navara-top.jpg

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
ARE, Glasstite and tents

Mark

I have used both Glasstite and ARE shells. The ARE are the best construction I have seen, and they will do custom stuff. When I buy my new pick-up, it will have an ARE topper.

We sell AutoHome tents to people who mount them on their pickup toppers. The fiberglass is always thicker around the windows. Mounting artificial rain gutters from Thule, Yakima or Quik'nEasy in these areas, and using standard gutter mount towers offer a good strong base for a tent. We have never had any reported problems with any of the hundreds of tents we sold that were fiitted to racks on pick-up toppers. Works very well, actually.

Mike S

articulate

Expedition Leader
Mike S said:
Mark

I have used both Glasstite and ARE shells. The ARE are the best construction I have seen . . . The fiberglass is always thicker around the windows. Mounting artificial rain gutters from Thule, Yakima or Quik'nEasy in these areas, and using standard gutter mount towers offer a good strong base for a tent. We have never had any reported problems with any of the hundreds of tents we sold that were fiitted to racks on pick-up toppers. Works very well, actually.

Mike S
Thanks Mike. Our very own J_L has an A.R.E. with tracks installed. Also called artificial gutters? I've got Yak bars on control towers and landing pads now, and would really prefer to just mount those on top of the shell, virtually in the same kind of position as these tracks. Since I already own them. Here's a shot of an A.R.E. with the tracks:

ARE_nismo_yakima.jpg

Anyway, are those "artificial gutters" or is that something else?

Bella PSD

Explorer
I had the windoors or work windows on my full size truck cap in the past and they were just about useless. On a full size truck it just about impossible to reach into the windows because they are just too high off the ground... On my old Isuzu Space cap pickup the ARE work windows were great. Even with the Isuzu lifted. But on My full size now, it was just too high off the ground.

If you are looking into the work windows, ARE now has them with a screen built in!!

Bella PSD

Explorer
Build your ARE on line

Just for fun, try going to ARE and build a Deluxe Commercial Unit. Its funny and you get just what you want. from double doors on the back to a flip up hatch. Two side windoes that open or on. ladder rack, tool box built in and even your choice of lighting....very cool!! You get to see a picture of what you build when you are done.

http://www.4are.com/product/dcu/build/

Louie

Dave

Explorer
articulate said:
Thanks Mike. Our very own J_L has an A.R.E. with tracks installed. Also called artificial gutters? I've got Yak bars on control towers and landing pads now, and would really prefer to just mount those on top of the shell, virtually in the same kind of position as these tracks. Since I already own them. Here's a shot of an A.R.E. with the tracks:

ARE_nismo_yakima.jpg

Anyway, are those "artificial gutters" or is that something else?

No, those are just called tracks. Artificial gutters are the things BajaTaco is using on his camper.

http://www.bajataco.com/flipout04.jpg

As for the Snug Top rack with the molded in load bars, I think that would be limiting. These shells are going to be so short in length due to the small size of the Crew Cab bed, the molded part at the front of the camper would limit how big of a spread you could have between the cross bars.

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
Martinjmpr said:
However, I think if you are really serious about keeping weight on top of the shell, you might want to consider a Gemtop steel sheel. Expensive and heavy but very rugged!

Leer bought GemTop...just so you know.

wagner_joe

Adventurer
Similar dilema here too Mark. 1 child, 1 dog.. Been thinking for a while about this. 05 tacoma. I have a horizon but I was thinking about being able to take the RTT on the truck for those one person occasions..

I gotta find my drawing for a sleeping platform made outta tube steel with three doors in the bed
1. one right over the wheel wells,
2.the other two doors in the back near the tailgate.. Kind of pop up doors with a strut to ensure they stay up while looking thru them.) I do like the t-handles on the Horizon and am thinking they'd make a great way to lock the doors and secure them to the frame.

Each door can support the weight of several 100 lbs and create usable storage without the worry of having gear killing the dog while wheeling..

I've been thinking of this type shell more headroom.. I don't think it's currently available for the frontier.. When I went up to Prescott two weeks ago somebody had one on the TACO.. Looked decent.

JeepN95YJ

Adventurer
Question about Mounting Truck Cap

My full size Ram 2500 has three c-clamps per side mounting my cap. I really do not like the design nor do I trust it.

Are the c-clamps sufficient and reliable for those of you using the trucks off-road and with weight on top?

I'm thinking I'd be more comfortable drilling holes through the side rails and using backing plates for a solid mechanical connection.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles