Hiking boots?

Storz

Explorer
I need some ideas for a decent hiking boot in the $150 range, normally I wear a pair of trail shoes for any hiking that I do. However this summer I'll be carrying my son in a Kelty child carrier, and with the extra weight, I want more support and ankle roll protection. Hikes are almost always under 10 miles, rocky Appalachia type terrain.

98OzarksRunner

Adventurer
Last year I bought a pair of Vasque boots that I wear every day. They are comfortable, cool, breathe well, waterproof, and have good traction.

http://www.basspro.com/Vasque-Breez...-Shoes-for-Men-Taupe/Orange/product/10208658/

My last boots were a pair of EMS store brand GoreTex boots. They were great and I wore them pretty much every day for 13 years! They don't make them any more or I'd have bought another pair. I think I gave $89 for them in 1999.

Krisbarger

Observer
ASOLO best I've ever had. Gtx all leather. They really are the best I've ever had for backpacking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Fit will drive you to the boot you should buy. Every brand will have a unique shape and fit, so it's always tough to make recommendations. There are a few models of boots in the outdoor industry that always seem to get positive user feedback. In my day job I'm a buyer for a large outdoor store. We sell a couple thousand pairs of boots a year. I'm always impressed with the Oboz Wind River ($170). Mark, one of our ExPo members has purchased a few of those boots from us and swears by them. He wears them daily. The Salomon Discovery GTX ($150) has been one of our more popular boots and in five years we've maybe seen one failure. Very durable boots for the minimal weight. The Contagrip rubber outsole package is as good as any outsole I've ever used. The Vasque Breeze ($145) is also very popular. Typically it accommodates a narrower foot.

My personal favorite is the Salewa Alp Trainer Mid ($170). For the upcoming Overland Journal boot review I compiled, I tested that boot for almost a full year. I also think it's an ideal overlanding boot as it has excellent pedal control. It too trends to medium to medium/narrow. The aesthetics are very Euro, and not everyone's cup of tea. I think they look awesome. Excellent support at a minimal weight.

Those are just a few of my favorites in the $150 range.

I do like the Lowa Zephyr Mid GTX as well, but it will exceed that $150 mark by a considerable amount. They're also very flexible boots which may not suit lugging around a kiddo on more rugged trails. The Lowa Renegade might be better suited to that usage, but again, over $200.

At the risk of getting flamed to bits, I do have a few brands I think I would skip. Merrell and Keen top that list. They encorporate the least sophisticated designs and constructions. We see more failures of those two brands than any of the boots we sell combined.

Edit: Krisbarger has a great suggestion as well with Asolo, but everything they make will be way over that $150 mark. Nearly everything they offer now is well over $200. The Asolo Fugative is by far their most popular boot at $225.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Fit will drive you to the boot you should buy. Every brand will have a unique shape and fit, so it's always tough to make recommendations.

My experience is that it goes beyond the brand, and down to the model. I have two pair of Oboz, one is a nearly perfect fit (almost good enough to hike without lacing them up - it's that good), the other - ehh, not so much. Still very good boots, but they definitely fit different.

98OzarksRunner

Adventurer
Fit will drive you to the boot you should buy. Every brand will have a unique shape and fit, so it's always tough to make recommendations. There are a few models of boots in the outdoor industry that always seem to get positive user feedback. In my day job I'm a buyer for a large outdoor store. We sell a couple thousand pairs of boots a year. I'm always impressed with the Oboz Wind River ($170). Mark, one of our ExPo members has purchased a few of those boots from us and swears by them. He wears them daily. The Salomon Discovery GTX ($150) has been one of our more popular boots and in five years we've maybe seen one failure. Very durable boots for the minimal weight. The Contagrip rubber outsole package is as good as any outsole I've ever used. The Vasque Breeze ($145) is also very popular. Typically it accommodates a narrower foot.

My personal favorite is the Salewa Alp Trainer Mid ($170). For the upcoming Overland Journal boot review I compiled, I tested that boot for almost a full year. I also think it's an ideal overlanding boot as it has excellent pedal control. It too trends to medium to medium/narrow. The aesthetics are very Euro, and not everyone's cup of tea. I think they look awesome. Excellent support at a minimal weight.

Those are just a few of my favorites in the $150 range.

I do like the Lowa Zephyr Mid GTX as well, but it will exceed that $150 mark by a considerable amount. They're also very flexible boots which may not suit lugging around a kiddo on more rugged trails. The Lowa Renegade might be better suited to that usage, but again, over $200.

At the risk of getting flamed to bits, I do have a few brands I think I would skip. Merrell and Keen top that list. They encorporate the least sophisticated designs and constructions. We see more failures of those two brands than any of the boots we sell combined.

Edit: Krisbarger has a great suggestion as well with Asolo, but everything they make will be way over that $150 mark. Nearly everything they offer now is well over $200. The Asolo Fugative is by far their most popular boot at $225.

Thanks for the good insider info!

Mapcinq

I have a pair of Merrell Moab Gore-tex for light hiking and wearing around town. They are very good at keeping out water, as long as its not deep and were about 150 Canadian. If I am going to do anything more difficult I have a pair of Zamberlan Vioz GT. They are amazing, but were expensive as hell.

java

Expedition Leader
Go to a store and try them all on!

I was torn between a pair on Danners, and Asolo. The Danners are made right where i live but the asolo fit slightly better for my feet.

Storz

Explorer
I'll echo your statements about Keen. I bought a pair of their sandals last year and am not at all impressed so far, my original USA made Chacos held up for 8 years and the Keens are already starting to fall apart.

I'll look into Salewa and Oboz, thanks for the great info!

Krisbarger

Observer
Ha! I have to pair of Mt. Lights. Great boots for hiking. My ASOLO are for backpacking. Both Great choices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flagster

Expedition Leader

supports good heel toe action???:smiley_drive:

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
They do have good heal/toe action, but they mostly have a very low profile shape and there's not a ton of midsole and outsole stack. That was Salewa's attempt to put your foot low to the ground for better stride efficiency and improved "feel" for those using them for mild climbing applications. Those same features make for a really nice driving boot.

The fit is hit or miss for some. I think they fit more people than I expected, but should they not fit, they really do not fit.

salewa.jpg

http://www.salewa.us/product/alpine+approach/ms-alp-trainer-mid-gtx

Kiwi-Yank

Adventurer
"Go to a store and try them all on!"

+1. I'll second that piece of advice.
There have been a number of recommendations for excellent brands.
Generally, for summer boots I just find a pair of boots at REI that fit well, are not too heavy, and seem reasonably well made.
I don't pay too much for my summer boots. When they wear out - I just get another pair.
That system has worked well for me for a long time.

But the key is to try all the boots on ... and walk around in them in the store.

ONE THING i would say - if you spend some time trying on gear at a store - please BUY from that store.
Some customers have the horrible habit of trying things on at their local outdoors store, then buying over the Internet (for a cheaper price). This is pretty unethical, and it undercuts the outdoors industry. We really need to support them ... so please buy from them!

Kiwi-Yank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles