Fuso SRW options

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Firematic provided the following backspacing information for their wheels:
Backspacing for the front wheels are 9.5”
Backspacing for the rear wheels are 3.5”

http://firematic.com/fireshop/store1.cgi?p_id=RIK10B195&xm=on
So I would venture to guess that you could also order your Fuso backspacing between those two numbers when you are ordering your lug pattern.
I'm sure that they are running difference backspacing for the tracks to line up on 2005 and new Ford F450/550 trucks they modify.

By my math (which could be very wrong), 9.5 front / 3.5 rear will track (outer edge of rim) 74.5 front / 76.9 rear (assuming 11.25 rim width).

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
You can get Stazworks 5 ton 20's, those wheels are pretty serious.

- HD 20s are re-centered military 20x10 2piece bolt together wheels. These are 10,000 lbs rated wheels and weigh 150 lbs each. These are often referred to as HEMMIT wheels.

- 20x10 w/o inserts 300$ ea.
Available powder coated for 75$ each

View attachment 162785
View attachment 162786

Anyone notice that some of the expedition campers at this years Expo were running these HEMMIT wheels, Why not at half price of the firematic and they're a fair bit tougher and full beadlock to boot. Just sayin'

IcedVolvo

Observer
Titan also do the same rim but much more expensive than the Warrior version and not as user friendly (i.e. no dual valves. not enough vent holes etc)

pugslyyy

I like those alloys, but wasn't sure if they could take the full weight of the rear axle?

IcedVolvo

Observer
Titan also do the same rim but much more expensive than the Warrior version and not as user friendly (i.e. no dual valves. not enough vent holes etc)

Titans web address: http://www.titanaust.com.au

ISUZU/FUSO 6 stud pattern 19.5" x 8.25" wheels are not listed on the web site but were still available as of 7 months ago. These wheels are not only DOT but also mine use approved.

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
because a wheel rim meets a DOT or mining standard, it does not mean that a truck fitted with those wheels is therfore roadworthy or "legal". If you fit wheels that have a rolling diameter greater than 15 mm above what is stated on your tyre placard, not only could your truck be put off the road until it was put right but you could be found liable in an accident. There are other factors here that also need to be complied with such as speedometer accuracy but regarding the fitting of larger single rear wheels, you will find most state legislation in Australia looks like South Australia's current legislation quoted below:

(5) Despite the requirements of any other regulation or rule under the Act, a motor vehicle that is required to comply with ADR 24 or the tyre and rim selection requirements of ADR 42 may be—

(a) equipped with tyres other than those listed on the tyre placard fitted to the vehicle, provided that—

(i) the load of a tyre fitted is not less than the lowest load listed on the tyre placard; and

(ii) the overall diameter of a wheel and tyre fitted is not more than 15 millimetres greater than that advised in the Tyre and Rim Standards Manual (issued by the Tyre and Rim Association of Australia) for the largest tyre size listed on the placard and not more than 15 millimetres less than that advised in the Manual for the smallest tyre size listed on the placard; or

(b) equipped with wheels wider than those listed on the tyre placard; or

(c) equipped with wheels with a rim diameter other than a rim diameter (if any) listed on the tyre placard.

So there is a lot more to doing a SWC conversion properly and legally than fitting an "approved' rim or sufficiently load rated tyre. I would also add that most mines I have dealt with are very reluctant to fit any aftermarket components onto a Canter or Isuzu truck that does not meet ADR compliance ......even if the vehicle is unregistered and running around a closed site.......In our days of OH&S litigation the mines are usually too worried that they may be somehow making a vehicle (seen by them as a workplace) unsafe.

Last edited:

LeishaShannon

Adventurer
50mm is only for 4WD vehicles under 4500Kg GVM. However vehicles under 4500Kg GVM must also have singles fitted that are as wide or wider than the 2 tyres they're replacing as per:

If replacement single wheels are fitted to a goods vehicle originally fitted with dual wheels, then the tyre width must not be less than the sum of the widths of the original two tyres fitted on the dual rims (except in the case where a complete single wheel axle assembly from another vehicle is substituted). The load rating of the single tyre must be at least the sum of the load ratings of the dual tyres
Source: http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/ro...Tyres_Suspension_Steering_V2_1Jan_2011 v3.pdf

The only legal wheel/tyre combo I could find in Australia for our vehicle (NPS 300) was ATW's as our tyre placard states 4480KG rear axle load.
S

IcedVolvo

Observer
Hate to burst the bubble here.......

...deleted ....

(5) Despite the requirements of any other regulation or rule under the Act, a motor vehicle that is required to comply with ADR 24 or the tyre and rim selection requirements of ADR 42 may be—

(a) equipped with tyres other than those listed on the tyre placard fitted to the vehicle, provided that—

(i) the load of a tyre fitted is not less than the lowest load listed on the tyre placard; and

(ii) the overall diameter of a wheel and tyre fitted is not more than 15 millimetres greater than that advised in the Tyre and Rim Standards Manual (issued by the Tyre and Rim Association of Australia) for the largest tyre size listed on the placard and not more than 15 millimetres less than that advised in the Manual for the smallest tyre size listed on the placard; or

This does not apply to 4WDs under 4500kg (which is one of the reasons why I had my truck derated to 4500kg GVM; just squeaks in @4380kg so its now classed as a 4WD car)! Almost all states (I know NSW, QLD and VIC for sure) have automatic exemptions to 50mm. NSW also has a further "fit for purpose" exemption for all vehicles i.e. horse carriers/low loaders have much smaller wheels Vs timber jiggers/mine vehicles etc which have much bigger wheels but you need the engineers tick of approval.

However this raises an interesting point with my truck (2009 300 NPS). The tyre placard lists 19.5" rims as an option! I presume this was for one of two reasons: some of the N series have 19.5" rims (fitted with 225/70) as standard and they forgot to include the series on the placard and/or ISUZU was going to offer this as an option on the NPS. Now before you pooh pooh that latter option consider that with 265/70R19.5s on my speedo (without any correction!!) reads 100km/h while I am actually doing ~93km/h. In other words the speedo came calibrated for bigger 19.5" wheels from ISUZU! But in any case the 265/70s fall just on the 50mm limit and I got a cert/plate just in case ...... cant be too careful.

As to the status of the Titan Wheels I am not sure; they are made in Australia to Australian Standard 4457.1 2007 (Austroads/AIG/CMEIG/Defence/QLD Mines/QLD DPI/Mine Safety NSW/Safety Institute of Australia/NSW Workcover approved) , ISO9001/2001, SAE and DOT approved and tested as per Mine Safety Standards for Light Vehicles which far exceed anything required for road use but I do not know if they are approved by the Tyre and Rim Association of Australia (note Titan is a voting member of ATRA so you would have to assume they are!!!). And that may be a legal loophole big enough for an insurance company to escape on. I was sort of hoping Alcoa would come out with a aluminium super single: they have the exact rim (19.5 rated at 4100kg) SAE tested but only in a 6" wide!

Last edited:

pugslyyy

It's been said before but I'll say it again - Australia has some crazy complex rules to contend with. I like the variety of vehicles available for purchase but I think all the restrictions on mods/upgrades would drive me nuts.

yabanja

Explorer
Is it safe to assume that if my vehicle conforms to the licensing requirements of my country I may still have problems driving the vehicle in other countries?

pugslyyy

As long as your vehicle is legal in your country and you bring it in temporarily then you are fine (and did all the paperwork, etc, etc) Europeans bring their vehicle to the US all the time under temporary import permits and they don't conform to DOT standards. You just can't keep them here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94