Potential "build" starting points...

Someone has been getting crazier than the rest of us, if done properly you can score a home run here on the portal, but the Generator diesel is out of the question, it's way too noisy.. Plus 150db when running, and not California approved, lol. Not that it means anything.

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
So let me guess...your naming you expo-trailer..."Speed Trap":wings:

Actually that's really close...haha!
I figured "Project Speedy" sounded appropriate. :) Though speed buggy ran a close second. lol!
No word from the auction folks but I pretty much expected that. I have a 0300 work call tomorrow and the shop is closed until Wed anyway so I'm guessing maybe I can get it dragged up there by Wed but Sat will be the first chance to mess with it either way. Have a car show to go to Friday evening.

Aspen Trails Trailers

Supporting Sponsor
The number one problem with TorFlex axles is the miss use of the weight rating. Most off roaders order the 3500 pound axle due to the toughness and the recommendations of others saying they need it. Dexter makes them from 1800 to 3500, exactly the same outward appearance. The rubber inside is different. If you order it at 3500 you will not be able to use it with that trailer. The axle will destroy the trailer. It is most likely over sprung for the trailer initially is my guess. You want it to be as close to the weight the trailer is going to carry. If your trailer weighs 1200 pounds and you expect to put 800 pounds in it, you order a 2000 pound TorFlex. It will be close to perfect, no need for shocks. You then can adjust for off road use by air pressure in the tires. IE when you take your jeep off road you drop air pressure, the trailer is the same, or due to the light weight of our trailers you can run lower air pressure all the time. I have gone as low as 12 off road with the truck, so the trailer weighs less and the weight ratio is greater, so you could run as low as 8 pounds I would guess. We are talking rock crawling in this case. I never run less than 20 pounds in my trailer tires on the freeway. No excessive wear, no wobble or swap at speeds above 80 MPH.

You have to play with. I would give it a shot, I think if you take the time to figure out what works best for you, you will be happy with it. I would never put anything else on my trailers. I have used them for many many years. Never seen one fail.

Bob

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
So Bob...Is it possible to "tune" the torsion axle by ordering different arms? How about getting some kind of parking brake? I haven't heard from the auction guy yet and when I called yesterday I was told he was out. I'll try calling again today...getting antsy about starting to tinker. :)

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Great trailer to build from. Sell the radar stuff and recoup some costs.
The torsion axle set up is the same used in the new Military M1102 trailers.
Dexter stuff is build well. Stabilizers and a solar pannel are a plus too.

The trailers cost $4,000.00 and up when new.

Looking forward to your build.

I took a picture of one last weekend when I drove past..............................

Attachments

• RadarTrailer176MPH.gif
    RadarTrailer176MPH.gif
    68.9 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:

Aspen Trails Trailers

Supporting Sponsor
No, what you have is what you get. They do not modify them. They must be pre ordered with specific measurements, bracket width, spindle face, degree of drop/lift and weight. Once they are made, as far as I know there isn't a way of changing them. I do believe a shock could be added to them, but have never felt I needed one. Ebrakes are available though and you can modify that part of the axle.

Bob

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
Mark Harley... I hope that wasn't YOU doing 167!?!?!?! Lol! And yup... as soon as I can get someone there to answer the freakin' phone and let me know how/when to pick it up I can start.

Bob... Thanks again. I suppose if I was sure I could so something to help like add air bags or something. But I haven't even messed with it so I'm just over guessing. :) I do think the wheel bearing will need some lovin' as they looked a little...leaky? I would like to ad a P brake to help it when I park it but don't have the legs down to stab. Guess I really just need my paws on it first and go from there. :)

On a side note. I had asked several of the MPs here about a trailer that had a very abandoned look to it that was just sitting in the grass near my building. It had permanent VA trailer plates on it but everyone I spoke with all agreed it hasn't moved in YEARS! Got a heads up today that it probably was left abandoned by someone that moved away a long time ago but didn't take it with them. I was told I could make it go away. So......... hmm. As it is it would make a great bike hauler/general purpose tag along. Its a rather weird looking thing as it uses what looks like metal corrugated roofing for the deck!?! And, the axle appears to actually be full float like a 1 ton pick up, only not a vehicle axle. Just the look at the hubs. Hard to explain. I'll see if I can snap some pics and get a final ok-dokey before moving it. May be a way to recoup some of my investment $$. :)

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
I don't remember if I mentioned it but I had been eyeballing a trailer that had looked abandoned here on post. I finally got an MP to look at it the plate for me and he found that the owner had left over 3 years ago. The insinuation was that if it went away that nobody would care and it would stop being an eyesore parked on the grass. Well... I'm not usually one to turn down free but in this case I think I will. I got to actually crawl around under it for a little yesterday and all I can say is...YIKES! What looked like maybe a decent motorcycle hauler/flat bed trailer that was all steel seems to really be some Frankenstein project gone wrong! The "frame" seems to have been started based on maybe a boat frame? Then some various sizes and shapes of steel were added to make the square ish shape. What looks like really heavy gauge corrugated roofing or maybe the walls from a steel building(?) is the decking material that isn't a horrible idea. The real scary thing is the axle. What I mistook for a full floating axle that looked like maybe came from an old truck is actually a drum brake FRONT axle from a who-knows-what! The tie rod was cut in half and then welded back into the non differential housing which is weird unto itself. But there is a lot of junk going on under there that simply looks scary. Add to the mix the lack of working (or present) lights and the tires that are super dry rotted and I think free would end up costing to much. Guess I'll pass on that one and concentrate on Speedy! ;)

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
And an update with no update.. Lol! Sorry to anyone that may have been interested in this. I've been work busy and just getting/keeping a jeep on the road has been the most I was able to manage. I have made some progress getting the XJ converted to 4x4, but trailer work has been nil.

That may change soon as I'll be working on a tow hitch/bumper for both jeeps soon. And the shop manager has been giving me dirty looks because of the trailer being parked there and me not doing anything to it. Soon.... Hopefully soon! :)

Zombies or politicians... I choose zombies!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne