Traxide dual battery kit on LR4

umbertob

Adventurer
Last weekend I installed a Traxide dual battery kit on my 2013 LR4. The kit is identical to the one many have already installed on their LR3, the only hiccup on the LR4 is that the auxiliary battery tray in the engine bay is presently "occupied" by a large plastic box containing the transfer case module and related wiring. The box can be chucked, the t-case module can be relocated under the same aux battery cover however (on a bracket under the brake lines that normally houses the horn of the alarm system), and the related wiring re-routed to make room for battery and Traxide isolator kit. After that's done, installation of the kit is pretty much the same as the LR3, which is a bit of a PITA - running the wire through the engine firewall to reach the cargo area is especially fun... - but can be done in a few hours with no drilling or cutting whatsoever required, save for the 12v socket holes in the back, if that's where you want them. In fact, I didn't really chuck anything since the process is completely reversible if necessary.

I purchased the newest Traxide kit that now also includes an auxiliary battery guard, a separate device that prevents excessive discharge of the auxiliary, deep cycle battery (the original kit already prevents discharge of the main cranking one, of course.)

Some photos of the finished installation and extra 12v socket in the cargo area. I converted the existing socket on the driver's side to draw juice from the aux battery as well.

Traxide1.jpgTraxide2.jpg
Traxide7.jpgTraxide8.jpg
Traxie3.jpgTraxide4.jpg
Traxide5.jpgTraxide6.jpg

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Looks very nice. Do whatever you can to minimize any chance of corrosion in the TCCM and its connector... they are notorious for this problem on LR3's when they share the same compartment as the battery.

umbertob

Adventurer
Thanks for the heads up on possible corrosion to the TCCM. The module seems pretty safe mounted on that bracket, the connectors are perhaps 1/4 - 1/2" above the floor of the battery compartment, so they should be safe barring a catastrophic malfunction of the supposedly bulletproof Optima... But I'll keep an eye on it. :)

TCCM-1.jpgTCCM-2.jpg

El Solis

Adventurer
How did you change the driver's side 12V socket to draw from the aux battery? I'm planing on doing this to our 2013 LR4 (the triaxide kit w the anderson connector for solar and port for NL fridge) and would like to have an always hot port/wiring up front for the HAM radio that runs off the aux battery.

umbertob

Adventurer
I converted the existing 12V socket on the driver side of the cargo / load space area to draw power from the aux battery, not the 12V socket in the front cabin (I assume you are referring to the one next to the cigar lighter?) That one is still wired to the main cranking battery, although it is always hot in my car as well - I removed and jumped the relay in the fuse box behind the passenger side glove box to do so. I need that one to stay hot and always recharge the spare battery of my e-cigarette, the smallest but most important battery in my entire car! :)

Last edited:

El Solis

Adventurer
Ah got it, thanks for the clarification. Yeah no E cig but as I said I want an always hot wire up front

umbertob

Adventurer
It should be relatively easy to splice into the wiring from aux battery to rear cargo area, somewhere under the driver footwell right after the wire goes through the engine firewall, and add another 12V source of power there without disturbing the existing 12V sockets. I am feeding power to my windshield mounted dash cam that way.

srschick

Adventurer
Looks good! It's definitely a lot of work, but feels good when you're done. I ended up adding a bunch of switches and some Anderson PP connectors as well. I located my aux socket in the exact same location as the stock charging socket, but on the opposite side. Then, I also installed some USB charging sockets on/near the media panels.

THAT is a really nice clean install you have there!

zelatore

Explorer
How did you change the driver's side 12V socket to draw from the aux battery? I'm planing on doing this to our 2013 LR4 (the triaxide kit w the anderson connector for solar and port for NL fridge) and would like to have an always hot port/wiring up front for the HAM radio that runs off the aux battery.

I've done it on my LR3 - quick and easy. They hardest part is getting your hands up to the box behind the glove compartment to reach the darn thing, but I'm guessing you've done worse...
At the next get-together I can show you which relay it is if you remind me.

jerdog53

Explorer
Looks good! It's definitely a lot of work, but feels good when you're done. I ended up adding a bunch of switches and some Anderson PP connectors as well. I located my aux socket in the exact same location as the stock charging socket, but on the opposite side. Then, I also installed some USB charging sockets on/near the media panels.

wiki1__PAS9585.JPG

What do the switches control?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94