Hackster's Backpacker Trailer

hackster

Adventurer
So we spent our first two nights and three days in the Backpacker this weekend.

We were beyond impressed with how the little trailer worked. My awning, although not perfect worked well for some shade and giving us a little outdoor living room.

The kitchen are worked great, water pump was great, good water pressure at the sink and the cabinets held all our stuff with ease.

Water heater is great, both hot water at the sink and the outdoor shower. Fold out shower curtain worked well and I had a quick shower in it on Sunday morning, hot water is such a good feeling after a couple days of wheeling.

Lights all worked perfect, doors seal tight and it was very quiet inside, there we others that were tent camping and not exactly the most quiet folks, but once we were inside with the doors closed we could not hear a peep.

We need to figure out our cooler ice meat situation as just a couple days in the wild and we needed to get more ice. Doing that for three weeks is going to get old fast, we are looking into the engel and ARB fridges but they are just so damn expensive. Any other options out there?

Sean

bftank

Explorer
very nice setup hackster, although i have to admit i was a bit disappointed to find out it wasnt another of your builds.:drool:

hackster

Adventurer
very nice setup hackster, although i have to admit i was a bit disappointed to find out it wasnt another of your builds.:drool:

Thanks Man!! I had a long conversation with my very understanding wife and she said to me, why can't you just buy something like a normal person? I really wanted to build it myself, but I spent the time traveling for work and using my rigs for fun.

I have at least one, if not two projects in the works for the next couple months.

Stay tuned =)

Sean

Septu

Explorer
We need to figure out our cooler ice meat situation as just a couple days in the wild and we needed to get more ice. Doing that for three weeks is going to get old fast, we are looking into the engel and ARB fridges but they are just so damn expensive. Any other options out there?

I'm using a Waeco. The model I have is only 25L - so fairly small. But its enough to keep milk, meat, cheese, some fruits and whatnot and a couple beers cold (I re-stock beers as I drink them). So for 1 person it's more than enough. I paid $450 a couple years ago, but it's worked perfectly for me.

SGStriglos

Sean

I bought a 50l Dometic and was very pleased with it's performance in Moab earlier this month. Made by a top RV appliance mfg and 1/2 the price of the arb and 1/3 of the engle. Made it through multiple days of 90deg heat.

http://www.waeco.com/EN/3122_484.php

Bought it from PPL for 580 no ship or tax and got it in 3days.
http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/

Aspen Trails Trailers

Supporting Sponsor
Dometic/Waeco on this site was rated ahead of all those named. I can not think of the top rated one, but it was over 1500 for a 45 quart. These are very fair in pricing and are world wide. I use the 45 quart in mine and had one in my FJ for two years prior. Still works great, is digital on the read out. Bad thing with mine it is under the counter and you can hardly see the digital readout. Great stuff. You can buy them on line, very easy to find.

The only concern I have Hackster is the location of the water heater. The rear corners of these things take some serious hits, when dropping off ledges and such. The rear door is there so most likely you are fine, but just noticed that. Take a look and be sure that it is well protected.

Bob

Monday

Sean-

Love your trailer!!! I'm chatting with Mel at 3Feathers now to see if I can get a Backpacker from him. I'll have to go much more stripped down for my budget - but hope to add to it as funds allow. The rack on there is way cool! Did they weld that up? Also, can you comment on the frame/body construction - that is, does it look durable enough for offroad use [maybe not rock crawling but bangin around some unpaved washboard roads]?

Regarding a fridge - have you thought of Truckfridge [also available through Westy Ventures with free shipping]. It IS an Italian made IndelB [Labeling/instruction manual are all Indel]which usually sells for much more. Nice unit. I'm thinking of having the Backpacker made without the cabinets so I can build around the fridge. Oh, I got my 51l for 540 shipped.

This is my first post here - YEAH! I've lurked here for some time as I've gone round robin on the ultimate adventure vehicle. I'm definitely leaning towards the expedition trailer - you've inspired me.

David

Monday

Backpacker update

Actually, I've been meaning to post an update. I did get one but towards the end of the year so only had a few nights with it. But over the winter in between the rains here in the PNW I've been working on a few mods on the interior. I'll post some pics - inside and out. When I got mine I had the dealer flip the axle which they did for NC - almost don't know why they just don't do it standard on this one. Haven't had it on a forest service road yet but on the road it tows real easy.

I've been e-shopping for an awning for this. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Monday

So here we go with some bad pics. I'll take better ones once the project is finished.

For now it's just me and the dog so I am setting it up as a single berth affair. [With provisions for if I ever get another GF]. The bed will be raised so it can function as a couch [which is far more comfortable than sitting on the floor]. Under it will be storage, to the aft will be a small side table/shoe storage and to forward will be a small wardrobe with a fold down table for eating/computer use. There is plenty of room on the interior of this unit.

photo-2.JPGphoto-1.JPGphoto.JPG

Crush Jeep

Adventurer
Is there an option for built in cooking with the trailer (cook top next to the sink or something)? Also maybe I missed it but how much water storage do you have?

Monday

Wayne

I just bolted a butane burner to the shelf:
photo-3.JPG

As far as water goes. I think I will initially use bottles/jugs but ultimately I plan to order a tank. It should fit nicely under the "couch" and would be immediately on the other side of the bulkhead from the sink:
photo-4.JPG

I am thinking of making a roll out cutting board under the sink. One thing to note on this rig is that as you raise the ride a step stool starts to become a necessary galley accessory quite quickly.

My unit is much less tricked out compared to Hacksters. So I have some work to do to catch up. :) Here are the tweaks that are on my list:

Awning - actually thinking of two [one over the galley which could be supported by the doors - this one might just be a tarp; and one on the side]
Larger wheels/tires
Jerry can holders
Water tank
Slide out cutting board
Debating cutting away the drawers for a slideout fridge. [Although I do also like the idea of leaving that in the truck so I can have cold food and drink when away from base].
Some enroute charging system - anyone know of a good system??? Also thinking of a solar panel.
Insulating the bottom.
Roof rack - hoping to carry bike/SUP/kayak
Possible reinforcing fenders so I can stand on them and/or adding steps - to aid in getting said toys on racks.
Would love to put a pintle hitch on it - but that might be last.

Oh and I added a tongue box - the $150 one from costco fits perfect.

Yikes, I have to get busy. Glad you bumped this - it's giving me motivation to get on it!

Cheers-
David

Crush Jeep

Adventurer
Dave it looks like you have some sort of a roof rack already on there (a good start). Reinforcing the fenders or maybe putting some kind of a ladder on the front or side might be helpful for loading and unloading.

Hackster,

What is your "ball to axle" length of the trailer? I have found that short is bad but 12 ft is too long but very easy to backup!! Curious if you went into the build with a target trailer length?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior