Hackster's Backpacker Trailer

Monday

TooTall-

I feel like I've hijacked Hacksters thread here [so someone let me know if a new thread should be initiated]. This is Monday/David. My unit is more stock but FWIW the Ball to axle length is about 100 inches. What do you consider optimal? For my purposes a short rig helps with storing it on my small in-city lot.

hackster

Adventurer
Damn, I thought this thread would be dead by now.

Glad to see someone else got one of these. Still very pleased with the trailer. Have about 10,000 miles on it and roughly 30 nights in it. Works great for what we need it to do. No major plans for it this year for us, just some long weekends, next year though, we are planning on trying to hit 21 states in 21 days.

Need to do some mods to the trailer soon to get it geared up for that.

Sean

SteveG

Adventurer
Sweet trailer! I love the outdoor kitchen.... we go camping to be outdoors, not stuck in the trailer/RV.

Monday

Just thought I'd post some pics of the interior which I think is finished [for now].

Wardrobe/hanging locker with fold out dining/computer table:

photo-8.JPGphoto-6.JPG

Shoe locker/"side table":

photo-2.JPG

Storage under bed/sofa:

photo.JPG

Now to figure out the rack - a more permanent "con-fer" style or just a couple of Thule bars.

Last edited:

Monday

Rack update.

Got lucky on CL with a used ConFerr that fit perfectly for a couple of hundred. Mounted ot to the steel frame of the trailer - no roof penetrations into plywood!

photo-14.JPG
photo-13.JPG
photo-12.JPG
photo-11.JPG
photo-9.JPG

crawldit

Adventurer
Glad I found something about these trailers on the Expo. Ran across some of these on the Portland Craiglist from an outlet for a decent price. I bought a Westfalia to refurbish last Fall, but my wife was diagnosed with brain cancer, so the Westy project has to go along with my F150. My new "tow" vehicle is my 2010 Mini Cooper Clubman S, which ironically tows between 1,500 and 2,000 lbs.

What are your towing impressions?

Monday

Crawldit-

Very sorry to hear about your wife.

As far as towing impressions...This is the first trailer I have ever towed. That being said I find it very easy to manage and maneuver. I tow with a Xterra. I was coming down the Columbia last weekend with 50mph headwinds and was able to stay on the road - but then the Xterra would be a bit heavier up front. As far as mileage goes the ScanGuage suggests that it is costing me about 1-1.5 mpg [but that may - probably is - compounded by the stack of windsurf equipment that is also on the rig].

I go through the Portland area regularly on the way to the Gorge so let me know if you ever want to see it in person. It would be super easy. Also, where and how much did you see these for? I get questions about the rig most places I camp.

Take care.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94