Hackster's Backpacker Trailer

hackster

Adventurer
Well some of you have been following my crew cab build in the full size and domestic forum.

This is phase two of our Alaska prep build.

Kristi (my wife) and I have been planning on heading to Alaska for about a year now so last year I took on the task of building a rig that I thought was capable of making the haul from Portland Or. up to Homer Ak.

You can read all about it here...

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/86312-Hackster-s-crew-cab-first-gen-cummins

For those that dont want to read it all, here is a pic of the close to finished product.

69CDB028_zps4afea651.jpg

AE328E39_zps82843a0a.jpg

Here is the finished product of lots of planning both in my head and with the guys at Three Feathers in LaGrande Oregon. When talking with these guys originally I was going to do all the frame and tube work and have them build the camping portion but when we started to get into the planning Dave at Three Feathers was totally up for the fab work and did an awesome job.

We wanted a smallish trailer that we could still get out in the weeds with so I penciled everything out and met with them a couple times to make everything work.

All said and done there is a laundry list of really cool stuff. Here are a few highlights.

15 Gallon on board water storage tank
On Board propane hot water heater
Outdoor shower
60x 80 sleeping area finished with a fantastic fan 12 volt lighting 110 volt outlets and satelite hookup
kitchenette area in rear with 12v pump hot and cold water and storage
12 v lighting above cabinets and under cabinet lighting
1.5" DOM tubing for the side steps and diamond plate top plating
spring over 3500# axle
2x4 .120 main frame rails and cross members
adjustable front hich with Pintle option
On board battery
Dual Propoane tanks
1.5" aluminum rack on top
Flush rear trailer support stands
Flush front trailer foot
15x8" Black aluminum wheels
33x10.50x15 BFG All Terrain tires

So this is the start, I am adding on some parts and pieces, spare tire carrier, outdoor shower curtain and changing area (finished that last night).

Ill try and keep this updated as I make more progress. We are taking it out for the first outing this weekend. Should get some photos of it out in the woods tomorrow.

I would highly suggest talking with the folks at Three Feathers, they have never built anything like this before and I think they did a beyond outstading job on it.

Sean

rangerdogg

Adventurer
What does inside look like.What are the measurements of inside /width & height. I have a 5X10 that I will be doing it too some day.

hackster

Adventurer
What does inside look like.What are the measurements of inside /width & height. I have a 5X10 that I will be doing it too some day.

Inside measures out at 60" wide and 80" long. There is plenty of room inside for us and out 25 lb dog to sleep and hang out pretty comfortably.

I have not been able to snap any descent photos of the inside of the trailer yet. Ill take some this weekend when we have everything all setup and are camping.

I went out to a friends house yesterday and we sewed up a pretty cool awning for it. Not water proof, but plan on putting some spray on waterproofer on it to keep it from soaking us in the event of some rain. All in all though it is coming together pretty well we can't wait to get out and use it and figure out what we still need to get.

Sean

hackster

Adventurer
How much??$$

I worked directly with them to help put this package together so my price was a little on the low side. I just talked with Dave there at Three Feathers and he said a similar layout to mine with similar options would be $11,200.00

Comparatively, there was nothing out on the market that came close to this for the amount of features I got for this kind of price.

That was fully loaded with everything but wheels and tires. That was another $500.00 for the pair and $750 including the spare that I bought.

Continued loading it up last night and towed it around behind our Trailblazer SS. It was like there was nothing even back there at 1,588 lbs.

Pics Tomorrow of it all setup and ready to use.

Sean

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior