Adventure Brigade's Teardrop Trailer Build

SWbySWesty

Fauxverland Extraodinaire
That's right, we got a trailer! It's a decent start, but it needs some help which we're happy to give it! Here are some photos as it sits now and as we're working on it right now.

photo.JPGphoto 2.JPGphoto 3.JPGphoto 4.JPGphoto 5.JPG

We are reworking the galley area with sanding, new paint, faux marble, tiled backsplash and coverings. We'll redo storage at a later point to add drawers for the stove, fridge, etc. The counter is a little on the high side, so that'll change in the future as well. The interior is a simple stained wood interior, so we are going to repaint it as well. Some of the wiring is in shoddy shape (speaker wire used as primary wire) so we'll be rewiring a lot of the trailer and cleaning up sloppy connections (or making them worse :elkgrin:) and trying to hide wires in a less conspicuous fashion with coverings. Keep an eye out!

We're glampers now! We're taking it out for four days camping this Friday!

Last edited:

SWbySWesty

I need input. I want to carry my motorcycle in front of the trailer. Totally doable as I can lift the trailer one handed. Currently the battery is in the rear, but it's easily moved. I had thought of mounting my solar panel on the roof but let's face it, I'll probably try to park it in the shade. With this in mind, I thought to put a "porthole" in the rear of the trailer so I can have a place-able panel. I could also go through the floor or rear and add a plug like a winch connection or jumper connection. OR I could put a second panel in sequence, mount on the roof and forget it since I really don't use a lot of power! Maybe just mount the single panel and see if it's enough.

What do you think?

SWbySWesty

I got all the interior parts taken out and sanded the walls, cubbies and cieling. We're heading out tomorrow morning so I don't think we'll finish painting it, but it can be rough for the first trip. We won't let that get in the way of the deserved R&R. Sam is almost done painting the galley. Just need to do the trim and then I can install the backsplash. We've decided to lacquer a map to the galley lid. We'll either pin it for where we've gone or it'll be a larger map for looks. The windows, doors, lid and floor needs to be resealed in the corners so it'll be a little more insulated (there is no insulation - later project?). That can wait, but it'll definitely need to be done.

I think I'm going to go with the panel being mounted on the roof - I really want to arrive in camp and be ready to go. Minimal setup and takedown.

Aspen Trails Trailers

Supporting Sponsor
The panel mounted permanently is best for the panel, not so much for you and your family when camping. It has to be parked a certain way/direction, really requires moving to get the most out of it. It appears you might be able to mount one on the inside of the galley door. I have thought about that several times. I would have it moveable. Keeping your options for shade at a premium. I use a female 110 plug end on my solar panel, about 8 inches of cord. Then use a Marinco shore power plug in the vehicle, any drop cord will work, just not the lightest. I have a 75 foot 12 gauge cord that I normally use with no problems. I can be in the shade, keep my panel moved and following the sun during the day.

Bob

www.aspenXtrails.com
951 692 0958

SWbySWesty

To make it even easier, what about just installing a waterproof cover that open to a hole in the side? I can leave my length of wires in the storage box in the rear (hooked to the charge controller) and just pop the cover, slide out the wires and voila. One hole modification! Not super slick, but quite budget friendly!

Jeff Wanamog

Off Road Camper Guy
If you can pick up the tongue by hand, you might be too light. 10-15% of total weight.
I think if we extend the receiver and change you to a Max Coupler, we can put the bike across the front.
I am sure we can add supports to the frame.
Have fun.

Jeff

Aspen Trails Trailers

Supporting Sponsor
The battery in the back is your problem, as it appears the axle is close from the picture. And I do not agree on the lifting of the front end of the trailer by hand. All of mine can be moved by hand. It is the counter balance of the trailer that makes it tongue heavy or not. I can actually take mine and move them to a 45 degree angle and hold it with one hand. But I am a believer and have been for many years that the tongue should always be lower than the back by two inches. It is not going to hit that much if it does. Tongue weight causes more problems than does good as far as I am concerned. I can tow my trailers at 100mph and they tow straight and never ever swap. I take a lot of time setting each trailer up with the options they have and the placement of them. Axle location is very important to weight distribution, but the 60-40 rule is not always correct. As seen by looking at your trailers axle placement.

I would try to set the bike on the tongue with a regular bathroom scale under the front jack before and after.

The battery in the back and if it is at the rear affects the tongue more, the closer to the axle the better if behind. If it was not designed to be back there, that could be the reason the tongue is so light though. You do not want to make the tongue to heavy, when they are they are a muther to move off road when disconnected.

Bob

SWbySWesty

The trailer pulled great out to the hot springs. Granted this trailer isn't designed to do wild trails or rock crawling, but it did the fire roads just fine. The weight seems to be OK. I definitely agree about the MaxCoupler - the ball setup is not only loud, but I just don't trust it offroad. The frame is steel so we should be able to strengthen it with a few welds and add the moto rack (maybe a bolt on?). I'll also be airbagging my Jeep since it sits low with the bike on the back - and the gas tank is already pretty low. I've got the Airlift bags, I just need to space to drop the rear control arms.

Before we left, I made sure to install the solar plug - I decided to keep the panel moveable as I want to camp in the shade. The connection is a watertight fitting from West Marine (Perko brand). It can take up to 15amps in 12v. The WestMarine branded one couldn't handle the load. The wiring is held in with little screws so it'll be fine with the vibrations. After testing this weekend with scary movies in the woods and music during the day, we ended up with more charge than what we started with.
photo 1.JPGphoto 2.JPG

We put in the faux marble, and painted around it thinking that we'd like it, but as it turns out, we don't. We're going to laminate the blue as well as the shelf bottom. The back walls will get a darker faux brick laminate after Sam paints the trim.
photo 3.JPG

So off we went to the hot springs with the trailer in tow. Slept like rocks and in the morning when the sun came out, we opened up the vent and windows with a slight breeze.

IMG_1135.jpgIMG_1137.jpgIMG_1140.jpg

Aspen Trails Trailers

Supporting Sponsor
Sounds great, looks like you have the most important camper happy. Always helps!!! Camping in the shade is not over rated. Glad you did it that way. Sunwize makes great products.

Bob

Jeff Wanamog

Off Road Camper Guy
Get down with your bad self!
Sam looks very happy.
Sure beats no tent poles and sleeping on the ground doesn't it?

Jeff & Vic

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior