Operation Oxcart AKA Gini's Burden-A Four Wheel Camper story

contento

Observer
I've always liked the S.S. color scheme but thought it would be too dark for the interior of an already small pop up camper, but those panoramic pics don't make it seem to dark/stuffy/small at all. I do still hate the black lift panels though, hopefully FWC can do something about those some day...it's like 2 giant windowless black holes at both ends of the camper. Maybe have the composite factory mix in some lighter colors or something

How do you like the Arctic Pak? Does it noticeably cut down on condensation?

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
I've only had the camper about two weeks and have not used it for real camping therefore I can't comment about the condensation. I've read about it but am not sure where it forms. I think under the mattress and on the walls. The end panels provide the vertical support when the camper is popped up. I wish there was a way to have windows on the ends with the panels and there are other companies of pop-ups I've seen with windows on the ends. I forget what they did for vertical support. Seems you could fab up matching panels in a different material and color. I'm good with the black.

clcoyle

Explorer
Since I didn't go out to Mojave this weekend as originally planned I went to a local area with a view. Really wanted to get a sense of the camper. I am more than pleased. I popped the top, put the table together and opened some windows, vents and the door. I had some work to do and the table is a good size. Hopefully a Lagun table mount is in the works. Waiting on a PM/email from a member on WTW. I also checked the passenger side turnbuckles(drivers side storage area is packed) and tightened the forward one a bit.
Here are a couple cell phone pics. Gotta love the panoramic feature of the Samsung G4...

I really like the proximity to the storage cubbies when the bed is extended. I can put my headlamp, glasses, water, etc within close reach. Also nice having the window right by my head. Not as great a view as the Flippac but still pretty good.

Eric- the setup looks great man.

Jeff Wanamog

Off Road Camper Guy
I love the new back door. The next time we meet, I will show you how to make the Arctic wrap for cheap.
Really looks good on the truck. What does the honey think?
Be careful of cranking down on the turn buckles. She needs to move a little bit and you can exert a large amount of force cranking them down.

Jeff

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
Thanks Chris. The set up wasn't my idea. It is the brainchild of PTO. I really like the way he went about thinking it out in a relatively simple way.

Jeff I already have the factory arctic pack but am looking forward to your insight. So leave the turnbuckles a bit loose!
The honey can't wait to get out of town with the new setup. We will at the least be doing something in the Owen's valley next week. Her semester is done this week.

Jeff Wanamog

Off Road Camper Guy
Not loose, just don't keep cranking on them.
When you stop to check them, one should be loose and one tight.
Just tighten the loose one.
Resist the urge to wank on them.
Jeff

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
Which should be loose? Front, back, right, left?
Not clear on what ''bringing down the latch" means. I got the turnbuckles taught and gave them another small turn. From your descriptions I'm going to loosen them a bit.

Jeff Wanamog

Off Road Camper Guy
Which should be loose? Front, back, right, left?
Not clear on what ''bringing down the latch" means. I got the turnbuckles taught and gave them another small turn. From your descriptions I'm going to loosen them a bit.

You are ok. I just didn't want you to think you had to keep checking the turnbuckles. The first time you check them after putting the camper on the truck and driving for a while, the camper will self center it's self. Tighten only the loose turnbuckles which ever ones they are. Then leave them alone. I put wing nuts on the standard thread side of the turnbuckles so I could lock them down with a quick twist.
IMGP0033.jpg

When I insulated the bottom of my camper, I put wings on the bottom so that as I slide the camper into the bed of the truck the wings would center the camper between the wheel wells. But I did this because the camper was on and off of the truck on a regular basis.

Jeff

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
I've been thinking about your insulation. How much does it improve the inside temps? Does it raise the camper up higher in the bed of the truck?
What happens when it rains and water gets under the camper? Even without the insulation I see trouble having some moisture under the camper.

Last edited:

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
My apologies. I was thinking roof latches, not turnbuckles. :smilies27
Yes PTO did mention not to tighten the roof latches too much. Kinda worries me a little. Seems like they could come undone and then what?

P.S.
Just ordered the Lagun table bracket.
I'll use the stock table for now. It is kinda heavy and scratches easily.

Last edited:

Jeff Wanamog

Off Road Camper Guy
I've been thinking about your insulation. How much does it improve the inside temps? Does it raise the camper up higher in the bed of the truck?
What happens when it rains and water gets under the camper? Even without the insulation I see trouble having some moisture under the camper.

There is a better rigid insulation that Lowes now carries. I think it is R-8 and is foil backed. The picture I posted above was taken prior to the plywood being sealed. You do not need to worry about water getting under your camper unless you let it set outside and don't use it. And in that case, I will be down to take it away from you. The next time you pull the camper, drill two 1/4" holes at the low points at the front of your bed. The furring strips and insulation raised the camper 1/2". But the model Eagle I had (weep, weep. I wonder where she is) required me to raise the camper so that it did not rest on the bed rails. The biggest difference I think was from insulating and sealing the access doors leading to your....oh no....turnbuckles. The ones under the seats, not the ones that clamp the top down that you should never forget to latch before you start moving!

Jeff

craig333

Expedition Leader
My roof latches have never once come undone. Worst case it pops up and everyone around you starts pointing at you :) Its happened before. More embarrassing than disastrous.

Super Doody

Explorer
I am so proud of you. (said with a tear in my eye).
And now the fun begins.
If you are ever interested, I kept the air bag set up I made from the All Pro flip kit.
IMGP0973.jpg

It made leveling out in camp real easy.

Jeff

Sorry this may be a little off top but, is the air bag connect on bottom with the bumper stop? It doesn't look like it which is good for offroad. If that is the case I'm interested in installing some airbags in addition to my rebuilt deavers leaf pack due to the weight of my Eagle FWC.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles