Operation Oxcart AKA Gini's Burden-A Four Wheel Camper story

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
Finally pulled the camper off the truck. Primarily to do my Lagun table bracket installation. Took an extra day since the bolts supplied were either too long or too short. The top were too long and stuck out in the small storage cubby and the lower ones didn't even get past the two layers of wood on the side of the camper.
Here are a couple cell phone pics.

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
Oh YEAH!

:wings::friday:

With much help from Overland Hadley and others on WTW my roof lifting helper thingys are installed on the inside of my Finch.

I wasn't able to get pics last night since I finished after dark. The 50lb struts are perfect for my roof with the Yakima Tracks, nothing else up top yet. The roof lifts up easily and comes down easily. At first I thought the 50lb might be too much but it is perfect.

Within the last few days I thought I had it figured out. Popped it up and then was in a dilemma and didn't have a solution. I really thought with the Finch something was different. Well with some insight from Hadley I popped it up again yesterday and started again looking at lining things up. Well that did it. Got them installed in about 2 hours. Now mine isn't as clean since I used off the shelf 2x5 tie plates but I am more than happy with the way it turned out.

The parts:

Disregard the larger tie plates. I went back to the hardware store and got more of the smaller ones and they worked great. More pics tomorrow.

Parts were purchased from the following:
McMaster-Carr http://www.mcmaster.com/#9416K23
Struts: 9416K23 Gas Spring with Threaded Ends, 33.94" Extended Length, 16.14" Stroke $22.28
End fittings: Zinc Part#9416K88 $1.62

Bimini Fittings:
http://www.marinepartdepot.com/dehiwirepin.html

~$7.00 each

2x5 Tie Plates from L@we$ these were about $0.55 each
Small screws-various prices.

The dilemma:

The solution/finished product

stclair

Adventurer
Looks good! Question, the Eagle we just bought has pop top shocks in the same place as the ones you just installed. However, I see some campers with them on the exterior(front). are some folks using 2 pairs? I plan to add a Rocket Box, and Road Shower to the top of ours, and wonder if that would be a good idea. These things were a HUGE help raising the top on our Syncro.

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
Congrats on your Eagle. I think originally most people were doing them on the outside. Four Wheel Campers now installs them on the inside. If your future plans need more help raising the roof just get struts with a higher lb rating.

You will notice that my setup and Overland Hadley's both have the bimini fittings which allow us to remove the gas struts after raising the roof. This makes getting in and out of bed much easier than trying to wedge yourself through the struts.

camper101

Observer
Thanks for all the detail. 2 questions:
- When you unhook the lifters from the roof, do you unhook them from the side too (the lower attachment) or do they just lay down somewhere?
- I see that your bungee is attached to your arctic pack (or maybe it just looks that way and the D-hooks come through the arctic pack). Does that somehow also pull in the exterior vinyl when you lower the roof - like, is the arctic pack hooked up to the vinyl as well?

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
Welcome
1. The lifting struts detach completely from the mounts, upper and lower. I can store them wherever I want. At the time being they will be on the floor near my highlift which is wrapped in a moving blanket.
http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...Four-Wheel-Camper-Build?p=1128524#post1128524

2. The bungees attach to the vinyl through small openings in the arctic pack. The pack itself attaches top and bottom via velcro.

Thanks for all the detail. 2 questions:
- When you unhook the lifters from the roof, do you unhook them from the side too (the lower attachment) or do they just lay down somewhere?
- I see that your bungee is attached to your arctic pack (or maybe it just looks that way and the D-hooks come through the arctic pack). Does that somehow also pull in the exterior vinyl when you lower the roof - like, is the arctic pack hooked up to the vinyl as well?

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
Today I installed the rubber mounts to hold the lifting struts when not in use. They will go under the storage box on the passenger side. I also did the trim molding around the lifting panels like Overland Hadley did. I will take pics soon. It was dark by the time I finished.

Also the mount for the battery is coming along. Hope that is the hardest part of doing the second battery for the camper.

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
Installed my lifting strut/shock holders a couple days ago and the lifting panel edge trim...

I'm not sure I'm set on the edge trim for the lifting panels. It seems to create a new form of wear on the vinyl lining which may or may not be better than the prior wear. Hard to describe it.

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
The storage box which I mounted the pole holders to? Yes those are standard from FWC.

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
Today I got the missing trim for the cabover section done, cut reflectex for the windows and did more work on the 2nd battery. Still trying to figure out the tray. Once that is done hope to get it finished.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles