New to bikes and know nothing.

Joanne

Adventurer
Reliable little standard, the tu250x
They had about 20 of these new, at the MSF range when I took the course last month.

Love those little bikes! Disk brakes, fuel injection, and a nice feel. I don't need another bike, but it would be a fun one to putt around town on. I wish our MSF program would trade in alll of our Nighthawks for the TU250s. Get the riders on bike a little closer to the technology that they will most likely be riding on their first bike.

Joanne

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
what gear list would you advise?

I've been riding 31 years and I'm pretty sure I haven't spent $2,000 on all my riding gear, put together, over that time. :p

Modern textile gear is as good as leather for most non-racing riders and as a plus is usually waterproof, meaning you don't need a separate rain suit like you did in the old days. It's also lighter and considerably less expensive than leather.

You can find a decent jacket for <$200, Snell-approved helmets start around $125, a pair of decent riding pants will run you ~$150 or so, gloves anywhere between $50 - $100, and boots maybe a bit more (though I wear Army-issued combat boots that didn't cost me anything and they work fine.) So I would say $500 is about the minimum you should invest in your gear, although you can shave that a bit if you are willing to buy used (check CL.) Personally, I would never buy a used helmet because you don't know what it's been exposed to, but I would have no problem buying a used jacket or pants (actually the riding pants I wear now I purchased from a guy in my club who didn't want them anymore.)

Of course you can spend more if you want to, but what you are buying is not protection, it's features. For example, a $600 Shoei or Arai helmet will not protect your head any better than a $125 helmet, assuming both are Snell certified (I think the latest is Snell '05?) However, the more expensive helmet might fit better, might be quieter, might be lighter, might have more features like ventilation or quick-change face shields, etc. But don't think you are inadequately protected if all you can afford is that $125 HJC or Scorpion (BTW, I wear a Scorpion, have for about 4 1/2 years, and love it.)

Jackets and such are about the same. Most are rated to CE standards and will protect about the same, but some may be warmer, or better ventilated, or have more pockets, or a better liner, etc. Most modern jackets and riding pants have removable armor pads for the shoulders, elbows, knees and back. From what I've seen, a motorcycle shop is about the worst place to buy your riding gear. Their selection is often poor and their prices are significantly inflated. Some cities and towns are lucky enough to have brick-and-mortar stores that sell gear only (IOW, they don't sell or repair motorcycles) and these are often good places to go with a good selection of gear at decent prices. Also they will often have a "discount rack" that you can look at for remaindered-out gear at great prices.

If you want to save money there is a web site called "New enough" (Newenough.com) that has discontinued or otherwise discounted MC gear.

Good luck!

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Thanks!

I wear tall sizes which limits my options a bit, but ended up buying a helmet and summer jacket at Cycle Gear locally (their Bilt labeled store brand) and have since bought some Joe Rocket winter/wet weather gear (top and bottom) I agree that it doesn't need to break the bank - I was in maybe $220 to get started riding with decent helmet/gloves/jacket and wearing jeans.

I had not known about the newenough.com site, will check it out!

wordsmyth

At 6'3" I suggest you look into something with a taller seat height. (On the smaller bikes you would end up with your knees up in your armpits).

The WR250 has already been mentioned. The Honda dual sports, and the Suzuki DR650 would be worth considering.

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
You can never go wrong with a Dyna Glide. I have a '07 Dyna Wide Glide that is a great ride and pretty reliable.

To carry on the back of an RV (see original post)???!?!?! I would have to say you CAN go wrong with a Dyna Glide - and putting it on the back of an RV would be a perfect example.:sombrero:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles