WreckDiver1321's 2003 Frontier CC SC

marty1977

Adventurer
Good luck x2

I was thinking to just throw it in here as for the gas mileage on Nancy. I'm not sure did you clean or got new MAF sensor as this will affect fuel economy and also Oxygen sensors as they also have something to do with fuel economy. I know you made your decision and it makes sense to get a better more powerful engine but maybe someone will benefit from looking in to that for fuel economy/better range wise when reading on here.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Good luck x2

I was thinking to just throw it in here as for the gas mileage on Nancy. I'm not sure did you clean or got new MAF sensor as this will affect fuel economy and also Oxygen sensors as they also have something to do with fuel economy. I know you made your decision and it makes sense to get a better more powerful engine but maybe someone will benefit from looking in to that for fuel economy/better range wise when reading on here.

Ah, right. This is a good thing to point out. The mileage I've been experiencing with this truck is not typical. Don't want anyone reading thinking it is. Usually these trucks handle fuel better, but for some reason this one just won't deliver what I'm looking for.

I have tried everything I can think of to be honest. I've cleaned the MAF sensor, and had a scanner on it multiple times to confirm that the O2 sensors are operating as normal. Which is why I am so perplexed. I hope someone out there can enjoy it and love it more than I can.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Sitrep.

The dealership who has the truck I want to see needs to fire their detail shop. It's still there, so I can only assume it's about a hundred miles away. Now, since I'm leaving town, I'll have to wait till Tuesday to see it. If it's not gone.

I'm annoyed.

bmart

Observer
Man this thread takes me back. I bought a bone stock 2004 CC XE N/A V6 extended bed Fronty in 2007ish. Although I didn't mod it much, I took that thing on long dirt road trips, canyoneering, Glamis, SAR missions, and even got some air under the tires on the stock suspension once. Other than a failed water pump and replaced timing belt, it was a fairly reliable rig. I paid it off and sold it in 2013 for the exact reasons you are, but mainly because it was heavily underpowered. With my pedal to the floor, it would still struggle up grades. After adding an ATV and dirt bike to the back end, it was downright embarrassing at times. I didn't have a SC, and was getting 14-15 pretty steadily in town. After I sold it, I moved up to a 6.2L V8. Now I have more power than I could ever ask for with only a small hit in fuel economy (13.5mpg average currently). Obviously you're more concerned with the MPG issue than I was, so I think you're moving in the right direction.

Reading these last few posts is like reliving my 2013 summer all over again. I wish you the best in your search, and can't wait to see what you end up with.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Time for an update!

The Fronty here in town didn't really work out. It's been off the lot for so long because it has a blown up transmission. I've got my eye on a few others, just waiting to see what's available. Planning on making a trip for a truck this weekend.

mortonm

Expedition Leader
Time for an update!

The Fronty here in town didn't really work out. It's been off the lot for so long because it has a blown up transmission. I've got my eye on a few others, just waiting to see what's available. Planning on making a trip for a truck this weekend.

That's funny because "out for detailing" and "blown up transmission" are on the opposite end of things wrong with a truck from my perspective

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
That's funny because "out for detailing" and "blown up transmission" are on the opposite end of things wrong with a truck from my perspective

You know, I was thinking the same thing.

+1. IMO, that dealership loses all of their credibility stalling like that.

I agree, they won't be getting much business from anyone who knows me from now on.

POTENTIAL MAJOR UPDATE

I have been on the phone with a dealer out of state, asked a bunch of questions, looked at a ton of pictures, and finally (hopefully) have a solution to my "nosecondgenfrontieritis." The dealer is holding a black 2005 Nismo with 112k miles and a nearly new set of General Grabber AT tires until Saturday when I can come and buy it (pending a test drive, of course). As long as they don't sell it between then and now, which they shouldn't because they are holding it for me, then I should come back to Montana on Sunday with a truck that already has an e-locker and the size tires I plan to run anyway. All of this for a very reasonable price.

I am excited :D

jpat30

Adventurer
Good luck on your hunt! I have read through your build several times and as much as I really like your current ride, you will love the 2nd gen Fronty. They are leaps and bounds more advanced than their predecessors. I had 08 CCLB; miss it very much at times.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Considering the occasion, I figured I would post some photos of Nancy's final hurrah.

She has been a great truck, and I have had a lot of fun with her. I have a lot of gratitude for all of the great service. Check out my new thread.

Dmski

Adventurer
I feel your pain with the gas mileage issue. I get about 250 out of a tank. Terrible. But originally I was doing terribly in terms of gas mileage and replaced the exhaust manifolds and fixed some gaskets and it seriously helped improve my range. If you have an issue with either of these maybe that could be the reason for terrible mileage.

I'm with you though on the 2nd Gen Frontier or X. Both awesome and will likely be my second vehicle after I have my way with my first gen X.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior