KTM North America Recalls KTM and Husaberg Motorcycles Due to Crash Hazard

ratkin

Adventurer
KTM North America Recalls KTM and Husaberg Motorcycles Due to Crash Hazard
[CPSC][5/29/2013 11:38]

Consumers should stop using this product unless otherwise instructed. It is illegal to resell or attempt to resell a recalled consumer product.

Recall date: May 29, 2013
Recall number: 13-203

Recall Summary

Name of product: Competition/Closed Course and Enduro Motorcycles

Hazard: During use, the throttle cable can malfunction and result in an uncontrollable throttle. This poses a crash hazard to the rider.
Remedy:
View Details
Repair

Consumer Contact:
KTM North America Inc. or Husaberg North America toll-free at (888) 985-6090 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. ET Monday through Friday, or online at www.ktm.com, then click on Dealer & Service and select Service, or at www.husaberg.com, click on Dealers & Service, then select Service, then click on Service & Safety Check for more information.

Report an Incident Involving this Product

Recall Details

Units

About 7,000

Description
The recall includes 13 models of KTM and Husaberg brand competition/closed-course and off-road motorcycles. Eleven 2013 KTM models are being recalled: 85 SX, 85 SXS, 125 SX, 150 SX, 150 XC, 200 XC-W, 250 SX, 250 XC, 250 XC-W, 300 XC and 300 XC-W. Two 2012 and 2013 Husaberg models are being recalled: TE 250 and TE 300. The model number is printed on the rear fender on both sides of the motorcycles below the tail end of the seat. The KTM motorcycles are black and orange and KTM is printed on the front number plate and on both sides of the shrouds covering the fuel tank. The Husaberg motorcycles are blue, yellow and white with Husaberg printed on both sides of the shrouds covering the fuel tank. Consumers can identify the model year by checking the letter in the 10th position of the vehicle identification number (VIN) on the right side of the steering head. The letter “C” is a 2012 model; “D” is a 2013 model.

Incidents/Injuries
None reported.

Remedy
Consumers should immediately stop using the recalled KTM and Husaberg motorcycles and contact a KTM or Husaberg authorized dealer to schedule a free repair.

Sold at
Authorized KTM and Husaberg dealerships nationwide from January 2012 to April 2013 for between $ 5,300 and $ 8,450.

Importer
KTM North America Inc., of Amherst, Ohio

Manufacturer
KTM-Sportmotorcycle AG, of Mattighofen, Austria

Manufactured in
Austria

####

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
This should include every brand ever made that have a standard single cable twist throttle. Improper cable routing or a twig catching the cable is all it takes to make it go or stick WFO. Is it odd that KTM ignored this and stayed old school for so long? I have two KTMs and personally I don't think they give a dam about consumers and this decade old problem proves it. I guess when you build the best bikes in the world you can screw the customers a little but these dam throttles have hurt a lot of riders over the years so shame on KTM.

gabepari

Explorer
I personally hate the second "lawyer cable" on my throttles... It causes more grief than good and in my experience has caused more sticking throttles than errant twigs. I Have never had or personally seen a single cable throttle go WFO unless my wrist was telling it to. I've heard plenty of second hand stories of stuck throttles, but I've also heard about these "magic" trees and rocks that apparently have the ability to "jump out in front of me" ;)

My $0.02,

Gabe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke