2001 Suburban K2500 - Summer Camping & Winter Commuting

snowblind

Adventurer
Ah yes, I've heard of that. I guess since my truck is garaged (and in MN) it may not get the heat build-up that seems to destroy the stepper motors in the gauge cluster. But even if it did, it's not an operation-critical deal....in other words the truck will still run and function just fine. And it's only $110 to have it completely rebuilt with all new upgraded GM stepper motors, including shipping. So when it does happen to mine, someday, it will still be less $$$ than changing synthetic fluids. No big deal.

In my opinion, that's no reason to skip the 03-06 models. The 03-06 has audio controls on the steering wheel, programmable functions, better trip computers, digital climate control, better heated seat controls, and better radios with the option for factory XM, aux inputs (iPod) and in-dash 6-CD changers. Not to mention better seats and better center console, better power seat controls with better lumbar. Not that the 99-02s aren't fine, but they aren't automatically 'better'.

Hey Kaisen.

I agree that the 03-06s have a lot of nice features and they shouldn't be avoided but I disagree with some of your points. I come from an import sports car background so I perhaps have a different idea of what good audio and seats mean.

IMO the 03-06 audio package still sucks and it will die eventually. When it does die replacing it is more complicated than with the 01s. I have steering wheel controls in my other car and I don't miss them much at all.

IMO the seats also suck. They are giant, flat couches and I don't see enough differences in the 03-06 models to think they don't suck. When my driver's leather wears through I want to add some thigh and kidney bolstering.

I think the best part about the 03-06 is that your more likely to find a used one with low miles. That and the cool little SAT NAV antenna on the roof. :)

Matt

snowblind

Adventurer
EdgeStar Portable Fridge

We have a 6-day long trip planned for the end of June. I have a couple of small, cheap coolers but nothing that can keep ice frozen for more that 20 hours.

I looked at ARB fridges and had decided that "maybe next year" I would buy one. The price was just too high. I figured I would drop $50-$100 for a cooler and call it good.

Digging around today on expeditionportal.com I found the thread on Edgestar fridges and found this 63qt model for $270. http://www.openboxdirect.com/FP630-...ault,pd.html?cgid=Appliances-Scratch_and_Dent I couldn't resist. Trigger=pulled.

So... I'll need to figure out mounting (slide probably) and a dual battery or solar set. With so many other members using these fridges there should a lot of good ideas out there.

FP630_vl1.jpg

Matt

Last edited:

michaelse

Love it! That's one of the cleanest Suburbans of this vintage I've seen.. and extremely low miles too. I have been considering buying one of these with the 8.1, and it seems they are actually going down in price -- I've seen decent condition examples with <175k miles for less than $7500. What are the primary differences between the 01-02s and the 03-06s?

Kaisen

Explorer
Love it! That's one of the cleanest Suburbans of this vintage I've seen.. and extremely low miles too. I have been considering buying one of these with the 8.1, and it seems they are actually going down in price -- I've seen decent condition examples with <175k miles for less than $7500. What are the primary differences between the 01-02s and the 03-06s?

Changes starting in 2003:
Dual stage airbags with front passenger sensor (will turn off front passenger seat when not occupied by adult)
LATCH child seat anchors/tethers
Stabilitrak
Electronic fly-by-wire throttle control with better cruise control
Power pedals
New center console with wider, taller, softer console lid that can be used as an armrest
34 function Driver Info Center (DIC) with display in dash
New family of double-din radios that no longer have a remote cassette deck in lower console
Audio controls and DIC controls in steering wheel, and new thicker/smaller-diameter steering wheel
Radio Data System (RDS) displays artist/song/genre
XM radio
BOSE audio w/ subwoofer
Duplicate audio controls for second row passengers in center console, w/ headphone jacks
Heated seats added third temp setting, and the ability to select backrests only or both back/bottom
Memory settings now include all programmable features in DIC and radio and power pedals
Seats are shaped differently, power controls are no longer in small panel with vinyl surround that balloons out/rips, seat bottom better supported getting in/out
Power folding mirrors
Auto-dimming driver's outside mirror
LED turn signals in mirror glass
Puddle lamps
Mirrors will tilt down in reverse (programmable for both, pass only, or none)
Digital dual-zone climate control, different temps for driver/pass
Different power window switches you "lift" for up (important with dogs/kids)
Autotrac transfer case now available for 8.1L
145 amp alternator
10 minute battery run down protection
Available Quadrasteer (not 8.1L)
Available power extending towing mirrors
Available factory DVD system (N/A 2000-2002)
8.1Ls got coated piston skirts in 2003
8.1Ls got updated cam position sensors in 2003 (though most 2001-2002s have had them upgraded by now -- if not better do it, only $65 part)
Transmissions for 8.1L were 4L80E for 2001-2002 and were upgraded to the heavier duty 4L85E for 2003-2006 (5 planetaries vs 4, hardened shafts, etc)

Kaisen

Explorer
Related note:
I owned a 2001 8.1L Sub before upgrading to my current rig, so I know the differences well

snowblind

Adventurer
Hey michaelse.

Thanks for the kind words. The 8.1s are a deal. I see them sometimes less expensive than the 6.0 and I find the 8.1 much more enjoyable.

Fuel economy is the only downside but if you're looking at a truck with a 4-speed auto then fuel economy is is short supply regardless.

Matt

snowblind

Adventurer
Nice list Kaisen! Very interesting.

I think my specific truck has a 180 amp alternator as an option. I have the window sticker. Delivery date January 2001.

Is there a difference between Autotrac and the Auto transfer case that my 01 has? Spec for the fluid is the same.

I'm still not sure if my door and seat belt chimes are part of the radio or not... I would like to disable some of that.

Matt

noJeepshere

Adventurer
The auto-trac case is GM's attempt at an awd transfer case setup as it will automatically engage 4wd when conditions warrant. Yours is an electronically actuated case with no auto mode. The auto case is better as it doesn't have an internal lubricating pump that drags power from the motor when in 2wd. That and you can convert the front and rear outputs to a fixed yoke rather than the slip yoke design for greater strength.

cent frum a smaert fone

snowblind

Adventurer
The auto-trac case is GM's attempt at an awd transfer case setup as it will automatically engage 4wd when conditions warrant. Yours is an electronically actuated case with no auto mode. The auto case is better as it doesn't have an internal lubricating pump that drags power from the motor when in 2wd. That and you can convert the front and rear outputs to a fixed yoke rather than the slip yoke design for greater strength.

Then why does my Sub have an "Auto" button?

RNB-901-062_xl.jpg

Matt

noJeepshere

Adventurer
Well that changes everything. I didn't know 3/4 ton GM's came with auto-Trac, I dun did learned something.

cent frum a smaert fone

BurbanAZ

Explorer
Well that changes everything. I didn't know 3/4 ton GM's came with auto-Trac, I dun did learned something.

cent frum a smaert fone

I dun learned it too because i thought the same thing that you did lol.

Nice burban though, really clean. How is the 8.1? ive had 3 Suburbans but all OBS style with all 3 engine options that were available. Im completely unfamiliar though with the 8.1.

RacerX29

There are a few mechanical needs I must address.

The current steering components seem barely capable of doing their job when new. Add 80k miles and the 285/70/17s and there is obvious slop and flex in the system. Steers a LOT like my old 1972 Jimmy... :Wow1: The steering box and high pressure lines all leak a bit. Probably replace the box with a RedHead one and put in new stock HP lines. I will lift the front 1"-2" via Torsion bar preload and replacement A-arms (thinking Cognito) with upgraded tie-rods, ball joints, pitman & idler braces, etc.

The shocks are all worn and the driver's side front shock is leaking. I'm thinking Bilstein 5100 shocks all around.

Regarding your shocks - do you have the "autoride" electronic shocks or regular shocks?

If you have the autoride, be prepared for sticker shocks if you try to replace them with stock parts. If you go with an after-market, you'll have to "trick" the sensor or else you'll get an error message in your computer display. I did a lot of searching on the web and found a way to beat the system by cutting of the leads to the shocks and wiring a resistor in place. I didn't know I had the autoride shocks when I bought my truck with approx 20k on the dial. The factory shocks are close to $400 each - I wanted the Bilstein 5100s. Hence a lot of research, a few resistors (sorry, I don't remember which one) and the problem was solved. By the way, I have a 2000 2500 with the 6.0 (and agree the acceleration could be better).

I've since replaced the entire front end with Moog parts (Cognito doesn't list the 2000s as fitting when I was doing the work), dialed up the torsion keys to level it out (did that both before and after the rebuild).

Next step is to get a new steering gear!

noJeepshere

Adventurer
Regarding your shocks - do you have the "autoride" electronic shocks or regular shocks?

Matt's Suburban is the 8.1, so should have standard shocks and leaf springs. The Bilsteins are a very good choice for a replacement in this case. If you want a self-leveling setup, Monroe makes OEM quality load-adjusting shocks, but I'm not sure if there are any for the 8.1 application.

Kaisen

Explorer
Matt's Suburban is the 8.1, so should have standard shocks and leaf springs. The Bilsteins are a very good choice for a replacement in this case. If you want a self-leveling setup, Monroe makes OEM quality load-adjusting shocks, but I'm not sure if there are any for the 8.1 application.

Both of my 8.1 Subs had Autoride. An option on any 00-up Sub, 1/2 ton or 3/4, coils or leafs, 2wd/4wd, any motor.

noJeepshere

Adventurer
I'm going to shut up now since it seems everything I ever learned about these rides is apparently wrong.
:facepalm:

cent frum a smaert fone

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94