Explorer
Before:

8yhzzm.jpg

After:

5l42rq.jpg

2rntxqa.jpg

ExpoScout

Explorer
Started a new little fab project for the sherpa today. Well, to be more specific, it's part 1 of what will end up being a 5 part project.

Basically I removed the stock heat shield off the muffler and replaced it with a tougher guard of sorts. This will accomplish a couple things. One, it replaces the stamped steel heat shield. Two, it will be a mounting base for a rack as well as panniers. Third, it looks cool and it was/will be fun to build.

I used the same chromoly as I did for the master cylinder guard. In the process I was able to remove the factory grab handles as well as the brackets for the turn signals. I did not re-integrate the turn signals into what I made today, but they will be added back on soon, in a location that will look a little more sleek than the factory spot.

Getting started:

2zfsnf5.jpg

Closer...

2wei7et.jpg

Pretty much done, just needs a little cleaning up.

2aj5las.jpg

All done ( for now)

34zypeb.jpg

2u77yb7.jpg

b6wo69.jpg

All in all it turned out pretty good. Basically from here I will add some tabs where the rack will be able to bolt on and off....same goes for the panniers. I'm going to get a larger tool tube and do a similar thing for the left side of the bike. The guard you see now, along with the one that will go around the tool tube will likely stay on the bike. The top rack I have planned and the panniers will be able to be taken off independently of one another. It should be a fairly useful setup with the goal being to have a storage system that is super low profile (to the contours of the bike) and works well. It should end up being pretty light. This guard weighs around a pound, if that.

NorthernWoodsman

Adventurer/tinkerer
This looks awesome!

Really love the new front fender. Amazing how different it looks now. I've always been on the fence about these bikes for looks, but I'm loving this. And your new muffler guard looks great. Good fab skills and aesthetics. Thanks for sharing.

ExpoScout

Explorer
This looks awesome!

Really love the new front fender. Amazing how different it looks now. I've always been on the fence about these bikes for looks, but I'm loving this. And your new muffler guard looks great. Good fab skills and aesthetics. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks! The new fender was the biggest aesthetic change I've made. Definitely gave the bike a completely different look. I'm super happy with the change....with the exception being the amount of water and mud that gets thrown at the engine and frame now. Trying to come up with some type of solution now.

ExpoScout

Explorer
So I've been sorting out my tool tube situation. My thought is that I wanted something similar to the size of the muffler so that when mounted on the opposite side, it mirrors the muffler and gives a bit of symmetry to the back of the bike....much like has been done by others many times before.

I first went to my local welding shop and found a bright orange welding rod tube. It was cheap and seemed ok but after getting it home I decided I wanted something a little more rugged and the bright orange was a little TOO hi-viz for my liking.

I decided on the PVC tool tube for a couple reasons. The PVC is easy to drill and mount, it's sturdy, simple, and cheap.

My plan is to mount it and make a similar guard as I did for the muffler. After the guard is built I'll be able to start on the top rack....so I'm pretty excited.

Here is the bright orange tube and the PVC tube that I'm gonna be using:

2mhyee0.jpg

I'm also contemplating what I want to do about the headlight. I really want to get a trail tech 8" light for the front, despite how pricey they can be. I might also look at an sv650 single front or something like that. Not quite sure and it's certainly not a priority right now.

ExpoScout

Explorer
So since I have a lack of anything cool to post on my end (at least for a couple more days) I figured I would at least share the helmet I got. I went with a Bilt Explorer Discovery from Cycle Gear. I know there are mixed reviews on cycle gear's house brands but it fit well, filled my requirements (I have admittedly low expectations being that Ive never owned any helmets before), and was on sale for $69.....so I figured why the heck not.

j08o78.jpg

It's pretty nice. The only gripe I have is that the face shield distorts my vision a little. From what I understand this is common wi dual sport shields. Also, this one doesnt have provisions for a sun shield....which is a little bit of a let down but my sunglasses fit comfortably under the helmet. Now I just have to find a jacket and boots....but obviously the helmet was the most important thing. The only helmet I have to compare it to is an AFX and the fit is virtually identical. I was looking at the AFX FX-39 and while the 39 has a few more features, it was about twice the price. I'll see how this one holds up for now.

I'm still taking baby steps with my riding and am getting better and more comfortable every day. I'm hoping to do some little mini trips soon. I'll probably haul the bike with the truck most of the way for a while until I get a little more confident.

ExpoScout

Explorer
Started working on the tool tube mount/left side rack:

2e243o8.jpg

6dtl6b.jpg

As I said when I did the first one, they are definitely beefy, but surprisingly light. They will hold gear and boxes eventually so it is partially preparing for that.

Tonight I will start on the top rack! Excited about it (and getting the rear turn signals back on)

Last edited:

ExpoScout

Explorer
Found a solution that I like better in regards to adding preload to the front forks. Instead of the PVC mod which only adds preload, reducing travel, I found some valve springs I had lying around. The primary spring is very similar (with my non-scientific five-finger gauge) to the size and stiffness of the fork springs. The difference is that there are also smaller inner springs that nest inside the larger ones...AND the retainers, which couple the springs together, are the perfect size to fit in the tubes.

Heres a pic of the stock washer that sits at the top of the fork:

mm7lu0.jpg

This shows the spring with the stock washer...perfect size!

o541au.jpg

Here's a pic of the inner, outer, and retainers:

28nfw5.jpg

And a pic of the springs together with retainers on each end....ready to drop into the forks on top of the stock spring:

2uy3us0.jpg

Got them installed and I really like the outcome. It lifts up the front end, obviously adding preload. When I lifted the front of the bike before, the forks would droop a little before lifting off the ground. Now they lift right off, so that slack is gone. Does feel a little stiffer, but the added springs should give where the PVC wouldn't. Haven't ridden on it yet but based off of sitting on it it feels good.

If anyone is interested in a set to try out let me know and I'll send some your way.

ExpoScout

Explorer
Got the top rack done. I designed it to flow with the body lines somewhat. Also it extends far enough back to protect the taillight:

al24ih.jpg

Here it is mocked up. Should have it mounted tonight. I will be bolt on/off:

14bq0k1.jpg

21oa1bb.jpg

ExpoScout

Explorer
Got the rack pretty much done. Mounted the turn signals on some brackets that bring them in towards the center of the bike from where they were in stock form. They sit below the level of the rack and should be fairly well protected, but they do stick out a little. Chances are that I will get some stubby versions at some point.

15hexld.jpg

2qc4bad.jpg

ExpoScout

Explorer
Got some paint on it. Eventually I will powdercoat everything but I'm gonna wait until I make the skid plate and the rest of the things I have planned, so it can be done all at once.

ano8ll.jpg

I will get better pics in the daylight.

I'm having a lot of fun with this little bike so far.

ExpoScout

Explorer
Got some better pics of the rack system in the daylight:

k3kx1c.jpg

64nolz.jpg

313hcp0.jpg

Oh and I should point out that some folks (as well as myself) had shown concern about the weight of it. I weighed the entire rack system and it only added 5 lbs over the factory grab handles, brackets, tool tube that I removed. Five pounds isn't bad for the versatility Ive added. If you count the passenger pegs the system is only 3lbs over factory.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier