My Sherpa Build

ExpoScout

Explorer
Scored this today:

2irxe8y.jpg

XR650 IMS 4 gallon tank I got off a friend. It's old and used but serviceable. Should be perfect for my plans. I'm gonna try and get it mounted up in the next few days. I need to find a petcock for it. I'll also probably buy a tusk billet cap for it since the rubber gasket on mine is toast.

ExpoScout

Explorer
Had a full day to work on the bike and luckily the petcock came in for the tank so I hit the shop this morning.

I decided to start on the fairing first. Wasnt planning on starting it today but figured what the heck.

More or less I went at it like the KLR guys do. I split the fairing, added an aluminum spacer and riveted it back together. It worked out pretty well though I nicked up the paint, so might take it apart some time to fix it.

bjipz8.jpg

65v1b6.jpg

miyzgx.jpg

10nhvh5.jpg

It added a lot of room for more of a dash board at some point in the future.

Last edited:

ExpoScout

Explorer
As you probably saw in the previous pics, I also got the XR650 tank mounted up. Still have to leak check it and connect it to the carb, but it went on pretty easily. I used some PVC end caps with recessed fasteners for the front pucks. On the rear I welded a bolt upside down and used some spacers and bushings so its isolated from the bolt and should be fairly vibration resistant.

Obviously, it isn't the prettiest tank and is kinda faded but I don't plan on keeping the bike spotless.

10nhvh5.jpg

28jbhqu.jpg

20f6plf.jpg

108hixz.jpg

Still have to figure out how I am going to fill the gap between the tank and side plastics. Also, the side plastics front grommet no longer has a way to be secured since the stock tank had the rubber bushings...so I'm still deciding how that will work too.

ExpoScout

Explorer
Better outside pic today

r739g4.jpg

Gotta figure out how to attach the front of the side plastics...I have a couple different ideas. May work on it tonight some.

NorthernWoodsman

Adventurer/tinkerer
Exposcout, you're craftsmanship continues to amaze me. Those racks looks incredible and your spacers on the fairing look really well done. And that tank looks perfect on the bike. Not sure how much effort you want to put into those side plastics, but have you considered making new side pieces out of metal and just replacing the plastic ones altogether? You clearly have the skills to make that happen.

Last edited:

ExpoScout

Explorer
Exposcout, you're craftsmanship continues to amaze me. Those racks looks incredible and your spacers on the fairing look really well done. And that tank looks perfect on the bike. Not sure how much effort you want to put into those side plastics, but have you considered making new side pieces out of metal and just replacing the plastic ones altogether? You clearly have the skills to make that happen.

I have definitely thought about it and may end up doing just that. If I can come up with a good way to use the plastics though, I will.

Thanks for the compliments! It's definitely being done on a budget. But I find it difficult to spend a ton of money on a $1200 bike, even if I did get a good deal. So homebrew solutions work for me.

ExpoScout

Explorer
Fashioned this impromptu tank bag from an old molle pack system's buttpack:

bjfntd.jpg

Then went for a ride with a friend:

2nkho2e.jpg

You might notice the new fender brace/beak. I was tired of the wobbly fender, especially since I added the fender bag. This was what I came up with:

2n04y6c.jpg

We even got the tenere on some single track!

2euo7k9.jpg

GCRad1

Adventurer
I like your attention to detail and the rear rack/exhaust/storagetube cover rack is just plain cool!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94