My Sherpa Build

ExpoScout

Explorer
So recently I picked up my first bike. It's a 2000 Super Sherpa. Thanks to some members here and some other places around the web I decided on the Super Sherpa.

I decided on it for a couple reasons. One, it should be good to learn on. It's light, simple, etc. Second, as far as 250s go, iit's difficult to find something that even remotely fits a person who is tall like myself. This wasn't too much of a compromise in that regard. Third, it was inexpensive and should be reliable.

I am pretty active and do a fair amount of exploring so it was only a matter of time until I ended up with a bike. Also, it was a bit of an anticipatory buy as I'm planning on being in WY in the next few months. If you've been to WY you can understand why I'd want a bike.

Anyway, I'm not under some false understanding of what the super sherpa is and what it's capable of. I'm not going to try and make it something it's not. I plan on doing some mods that will make it a little more adventure friendly (which admittedly, it doesn't need much) and having some fun along the way.

My background is as a mechanic and fabricator. I worked for one of the bike shops that was on the Discovery Channel's biker build off shows a few years back. I built engines, frames, handlebars, exhaust systems, etc. I say that to point out that I'm not completely new to bikes, but embarrassingly enough, I've never ridden much at all.

I look forward to the sherpa being something I can do some fun little fabrication projects on for various parts and pieces while keeping it light and useful.

Here she was when I picked her up:

309u2s5.jpg

I got her from an older guy who put 6700 miles on her since he bought it new. He kept tedious maintenance records and evidently babied it. It was garaged and likely never saw any furious bursts of speed (is that even possible?) or redline. I'm pretty sure the tires are original and there really wasnt even a scuff on the bike. I guess we will see how it does!

ExpoScout

Explorer
Since I got the bike home I changed the spark plug which was probably original. I had to replace a turn signal bulb that was out. Apart from that it was pretty much good to go maintenance wise being that the oil had just been changed.

I'm gonna bleed the brakes soon and get a new air filter even though it looks ok.

First official mod:

Fancy shmancy reflective tape. Had it lying around. Meh.

348gdwj.jpg

I also took off the sprocket cover and cleaned it out. It had a fair amount of grease packed in lower corner. That ignited my OCD and I started cleaning all the nooks and crannies I could find. Didn't find anything too bad. It seems that the valve cove gasket on the front left is a little leaky but not enough for me to go pulling off the valve cover yet.

ExpoScout

Explorer
Despite that the tank was super clean inside I thought it might be a good idea to put a clear inline filter in the carb feed line, just for peace of mind. I ended up finding a filter that will trap most of the big stuff. I believe it's only 140 microns or so. Not really a "filter" as much as a "screen". I'll see how it works. I can always drop a Visu-filter in there in about 2 minutes.

I also used clear fuel line so I'll have a little more idea of what the fuel looks like.

309or4o.jpg

The lines sort of look kinked, but they aren't. I gave it a good test run today and it's working just fine. I figure anything's better than nothing. You can't tell by the pic but it's actually tucked back in there and shouldn't get snagged on anything. Loosely zip-tied in place and is nice and secure.

I also took the rear pegs off as I won't ride two up for a long time. My wife would do it, I just don't feel comfortable by myself yet, let alone with someone else on the bike.

ExpoScout

Explorer
Tonight I decided the little reflectors on the upper sides of the fork had to go. I cut them off the headlight frame in such a manner that I could re-attach them pretty easily if necessary.

dpbse1.jpg

It looks a bit cleaner and as far as reflectors go I prefer reflective tape. I find that it works pretty good and of course its lighter and snag free. :p

Future plans are as follows:

-might try a high fender...Im thinking acerbis supermoto...not sure yet
-handguards
-bar riser...I'm really close to being ok with the stock height, but 1" would be great
-larger tool tube
-even with my limited time on it, I think a SC seat would be great...ATV seat pad might hold me over for a while
-IMS xr650L tank
-better mirrors
-larger foot pegs
-round headlight/windscreen...the round headlight isnt necessary, but it sure looks cool...and I've never been a fan of the rectangle lights

Of course right now I've got bigger things to worry about like moving, so the more expensive items may be on hold, depending on funds. For the time being I've got a shop and welder so I may make some small items like a master cylinder guard and things of that nature to fill my spare time...plus fabrication keeps me sane.

ExpoScout

Explorer
Had a little time in the shop tonight for a fun little project. I work midnight shift and being on this schedule affords me uninterrupted time (from the wife mainly :p) to work on stuff.

I saw a master cylinder guard the other day and thought it would be a cool to make. Should serve a purpose and be something fun to drink a beer and make. Welding is good for the soul.

Anyway, I started with some old chromoly v-twin pushrods. I had them lying around and as you know, chromoly is good at being light and strong:

e1wfa.jpg

Little cutting, bending, welding...add some flat stock:

elcyt2.jpg

Did a little test fit, function check, etc:

10g09qq.jpg

Everything looked good. Now for some paint. A little krylon for now. I have plans for some other parts. Once they are all done I will likely have then all powdercoated. But for now this will work just fine:

2zgccw2.jpg

I worked out well and when all was said and done I bet it only weighed 4oz. or so. I did swap out the stock hardware for some 10mm head longer bolts. One of the things I will have to say is I hate the over abundance of Phillips headed fasteners on the bike. They strip out too easy so I likely will begin the process of swapping them out as I go for stainless hardware. Not sure what Kawasaki was thinking on that one except maybe ease of maintenance....at least they could've used higher grade hardware.

Thanks for looking. It was a fun little time waster...I'll have to see what I get the itch to make next.

jkam

nomadic man
Welcome to Sherpa ownership. I really like mine.
Keep the mods and updates coming, nice to see someone with skills having a go at one.

Garbinator

SeekTheMoneyTree
I don't even own a sickle? But I most certainly enjoyed reading, and viewing your detailed custom fab work. It is an art, and you have that gift.

<<<

ExpoScout

Explorer
Not much to report except that I bled the rear brakes. It's a good thing, the brake fluid was pretty dark and nasty. While I was at it I swapped the piece of hose to some nice braided stuff I had around and added some stainless worm drive clamps instead of those little springy clips.

akx4dl.jpg

I also decided I couldn't take it anymore with the chrome heat shields. I prepped them and hit them with some BBQ paint. Much better. I hate chrome.

mtt56c.jpg

I have some goodies coming in today, so I'll have some more interesting updates next time.

ExpoScout

Explorer
I got the goodies I referred to earlier in today. I got a set of moose hand guards, an acerbis supermoto fender, and some other little odds and ends. I'll have some before and after pics later, but I wanted to post this pic of the fender mounted with the factory low fender mounted as well. It illustrates the differences pretty well:

9k40w7.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne