The Ute II: E350 RB 7.3 ZF6

naterry

13 Cheeseburgers
Some more details for those considering the swap, a parts list:

1. CNC pedal, 3AN Fittings, 6ft 3AN line (This is the variable, can be done many ways.)
  2. SD Slave cyl.
  3. SD Shifter and Boot
  4. SD Manual Tranny Tin Engine Plate (The E40D adapter plate is cast aluminum and thicker.)
  5. SD flywheel (Note that a steel adapter boss sits at the end of the 7.3 crank. It's almost invisible, but a rubber mallet and some patience will get it loose.)
  6. SD Clutch and pressure plate. ( I went with a South Bend Kit P#1944-6OK)
  7. SD Throw Out Bearing
  8. SD Fork Bushing
  9. OBS Auto crossmember
  10. OBS Tranny Mount (Flip mount around backwards for better positioning.)
  11. SD 6Speed
  12. SD Manual Shift T-Case
  13. SD Trans and T-Case wire harness, for back up lights and 4x4 lights.
  14. OBS Starter works fine.

A few pics:

I used the E-Brake bulkhead seal for routing the clutch line, it's a good route that keeps it away from the exhaust and points it right at the slave:

DSC_0104_zps3ec02dbd.jpg

Fitting to the Slave Cylinder. I welded a male 3AN bung to the barbed OEM steel fitting:

DSC_0109_zpsc9e2ae5f.jpg

Transmission Cooler Lines. These are relatively low pressure so flaring the steel lines and using rubber hose w/clamps works fine:

DSC_0110_zps15522fe8.jpg

In other news, I don't see much plating being done on this forum so just throwing it out there. I chose to nickel plate the Drag Link and Crossover Steering Bracket. It's great anti corrosion and keeps the threads nice, like anti-sieze:

DSC_0116_zpsc2d318b7.jpg

DSC_0113_zpse94fa9fd.jpg

Loving the 6-Position Chip!:

DSC_0102_zps38274b94.jpg

It really is a simple swap, hopefully this fires up more people that prefer manuals to give it a shot!

E350

If you know, what about doing this in a 2002 E350 7.3L? Both our engines are Powerstrokes, are there additional complications because of different PCM's, etc. or not?

naterry

13 Cheeseburgers
If you know, what about doing this in a 2002 E350 7.3L? Both our engines are Powerstrokes, are there additional complications because of different PCM's, etc. or not?

The only thing I know of that changed is the turbo. Body and frame are the same, and all 7.3's accept a chip.

QCAuto

Observer
Love it! I have the pedals made on my "spare time build" 351W zf5 94 but now in no hurry as its been done....very well I might add

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Nice on the plating, I'm using a different drag link now that is coated. Plan to send the next batch of arms to be coated.

naterry

13 Cheeseburgers
Cheers!

I took the van out on a shakedown run this weekend along Big Sur and nothing broke... Crawling up and compression braking down the windy little roads confirmed my love of manual transmissions, all good.

DSC_0234_zpsb5a4899b.jpg

DSC_0158_zps3c66a9fe.jpg

DSC_0238_zpse51d6fcc.jpg

Check out this little fella in the bushes. I heard a squeak from the brush and had to stare a bit before I saw him, about the size of a basketball:

DSC_0151_zps0a0cf5c3.jpg

DSC_0153_zps6e067af5.jpg

packmule

Observer
Nothing like a few big trees to make a big van look small! :D Great pictures!

I missed it if you already addressed this, but are you planning to remove the automatic shifter or leave the steering column as-is?

naterry

13 Cheeseburgers
Nothing like a few big trees to make a big van look small! :D Great pictures!

I missed it if you already addressed this, but are you planning to remove the automatic shifter or leave the steering column as-is?

Yeah that's up in the air. Removing it would be easy but it's basically a free cable actuator ready to switch something on or off, just haven't figured out what yet. Transfer Fuel tank, air compressor, hot water valve, all of the above?

VANMAN

Observer
I have seen it done with a NV5600/cummins combo in a1975-91 OBS....and an NV4500 in post 1992 newer body style...

guidolyons

Addicted to Gear Oil
Very cool...tucking away in the files for later use. I was wondering about this same swap, I wasn't sure if the crankshaft for an auto with a flexplate would accept the flywheel, pilot bearing and clutch for a manual transmission. I love the 7.3L PSD with ZF5 that I swapped into my Scout, and would love to have the same drivetrain in a van/RV/ambulance, but all I've found are slush box autos. Excellent solution for the clutch master, too. When I was growing up, my Dad had a 1965 Ford Econoline "Super Van" with the three-on-the-tree.

QCAuto

Observer
I had everything for a gas zf5 swap but sold van for an 01 PSD cargo..6bills, now sourcing zf6, will do a 5 if I can get the 6. Also who's chip are you running?

86scotty

Cynic
Yeah that's up in the air. Removing it would be easy but it's basically a free cable actuator ready to switch something on or off, just haven't figured out what yet. Transfer Fuel tank, air compressor, hot water valve, all of the above?

Black tank dump! Very handy when someone is tailgating you. I don't even have, or want, a black tank but it might be worth having for that reason. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles