The Ute II: E350 RB 7.3 ZF6

Pattywagen

I read more of the thread over the past few days. I love how much detail and how many photos you provide! Very helpful. For clarity, is the adapter boss installed between the crank and torque converter and something to be removed for manual conversion, OR this component is on the required parts list and is to be used with the flywheel? My assumption was the latter, but there was talk of removing it.

Trying to get all of my pieces together to minimize down time.

naterry

13 Cheeseburgers
The adapter boss is only used for autos, between the crank and flexplate.

The talk of removing is pertinent because it is the same OD as the end of the crank and does not appear to be a seperate part at first glance. In other words, if your crank looks like it protrudes past the end of the pan, the boss is still there.

Hope this helps!

Pattywagen

Ok, thank you! I haven't torn into one of these (at least not that far) yet. Initially I cursed excessively at the van for it's limited space under the hood while doing pulleys/tensioner/AC service, but after comparing the room on the SD truck chassis, I think the rear access provided by the doghouse makes up for the confined front.

Jasper Jones

Observer
Dude, I've been following your van for a while, and now I just found out (I am pretty sure) my life-long friend just bought your car! Did you sell a white car to a guy named John from MI in the last few weeks? He was telling me about your van, and then mentioned your name, and I was like "I know that guy from ExPo!!"

naterry

13 Cheeseburgers
Wow! Small world. What are the odds!?

Yeah, John was great to have around. We went on an awesome rally through the local hills and had a burger at Alice's Restaurant. Good times. Tell him to keep the shiny side up! :ylsmoke:

Pattywagen

So I convinced myself to go through with my conversion. I've ordered a clutch kit and solid flywheel, reverse swing clutch MC pedal, and picked up my trans and t-case this past weekend. I'm going to start a build thread of my own and though I will be doing a few things a little differently, your build thread and sharing of pictures/info has been a tremendous help. Thanks again!

Sent from my SM-T377P using Tapatalk

naterry

13 Cheeseburgers
So I convinced myself to go through with my conversion. I've ordered a clutch kit and solid flywheel, reverse swing clutch MC pedal, and picked up my trans and t-case this past weekend. I'm going to start a build thread of my own and though I will be doing a few things a little differently, your build thread and sharing of pictures/info has been a tremendous help. Thanks again!

Nice, Congrats! We spent the last few nights up in the Eastern Sierra at ~10k ft. Having the gearing going up and down those trails was great. No regerets going manual.

Pattywagen

Did you wire in a clutch pedal starter switch? Or will it start in gear? I've got everything together, and have the original transmission range selector plugged into the harnees and it starts that way. It just looks a bit unprofessional. I understand that you used a 6 position tuner, but did you do anything with the transmission wiring harness? There are lots of write ups for F series conversions, but I'm not certain the wiring correlates to the vans.

One other thing, how's the pedal pressure with the cnc MC? I fabricated one from scratch and it works great, but is a bit stiff.

Last edited:

naterry

13 Cheeseburgers
Right on!

I haven't tried to start it in gear, but presume it would (no clutch switch). Does that make it an electric vehicle?

Regarding the transmission harness- I just unplugged it, sealed it, and zip-tied it out of the way. Nothing special.

IMO pedal pressure is not an issue but these things are subjective. Let's just say I've never thought about it, so it can't be that bad. Note that my specific clutch pedal force is based on the specific combination of parts installed. i.e the motion ratio of the CNC pedal assembly, CNC MC bore size, and south bend pressure plate stiffness.

Hope this helps!

Corneilius

Adventurer
Hey Naterry - any chance you have more photos of your 8020 interior build online? Photobucket nuked em all.

There is a Plug In for Google Chrome and Firefox browsers to fix broken photo bucket links. I don't have the name handy but if you google "photo bucket plug in" I'm sure it will come up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne