Newbie with questions

CCC

Hi All

First Post so here goes.

Been looking for a truck camper for a while but have struggled with knowledge about these rigs......well that has been solved since I stumbled across this great site. I still amazed at the info that you guys have put on this site,its been a great help!! .

A little about me, I live in Northwest Western Australia, Have lived here for about 8 yeasr and plan to leave here in 2.5 years for a trip around Australia. When I say trip around Australia I'm talking about selling everything and travelling until we get sick of being on the road:).

That leads me to a few questions that I have in regards to a Isuzu NPS 300 (Year 2000) that has come up for sale. I've checked it over and the mechanicals are all good but there are a few bits of concern that maybe you guys can help me with?

It maybe nothing but a second set of eyes would be good. Overall the Chassis has no cracks or damage and appears to be in good condition but there is some spots at the rear where there is a little rust where plates are rivited to the chassis. The rust is wedged between the two plates. Same problem on the rear axle. My thoughts was to pour some rust converter type product over these areas then paint? Whats your thoughts (se pics below)

Could be more hiding behind here/

Second question relates to the super singles that are on it. My understanding is that the only approved rims are the All Terrain Warrior ones. I got a quote from them to do the full conversion with Engineering(Nice guys,happy to go with them if need be). Thing is it already has Super Single so would be nice not to have to buy them again,would still need to do the air tank,speedo etc. Anyhow I dont know who made the rims. They are stamped with "WIL E DOT 19.5x8.25AA 0172" . Does anyone know how I could find out there rating etc.

Thanks in advance....hope I posted this in the right place if not let me know and I'll move it.

Cheer
Chris

bee

Observer
Sorry for the late response. Here we call that rust jacking, when the rust actually pushes the two pieces of metal apart. From the photos I wouldn't be all that concerned about it. Of course I am just guessing based on the photos.

No idea about the wheel issue, DOT stands for "department of transportation" here in the United States, indicating that it is street legal. I would contact the DOT perhaps they could tell you how to translate the code to find out what the specifications are.

Fugly

Adventurer
CCC,

Mate have you had a look in the Japanese Heavy Truck section of this forum....
I seem to recall there is some info on this problem....
Also from a bloke in the NW of West Oz Karratha I think ...
Have a look ....lthink he was advised to remove the rivets and clean the area and replace the rivets with grade 10 bolts and Nyloc nuts......

Hope this helps...

Cheers Fugly

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles