Why are Military gas can so darn expensive????

Village Idiot
I cant find a military plastic Jerry Can type gas can for under $100.....!!!!!!!!!!!

It's a freaking gas can!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why are they so pricey?

summerprophet

Adventurer
Due to new (actually a few years old now) CARB regulations on fuel canisters, the typical NATO style Gas cans do not meet the new regulations. Primarilly the vapor venting restriction.

As such, the old Jerry type gas cans are even more desired, and people aren't selling theirs. Typical case of supply and demand.

summerprophet

Adventurer
Plastic Jerry Cans

Scepter is Good. Still in use by NATO forces, the UN, US, Canadian, and British military. If these guys aren't destroying them, pretty likely you and I wont be.
These are also pulled from the shelves in the states, so you have to order out of Canada, or find old military stock.

As with anything, beware of no name chinese knockoffs. They are stocked in my local surpluse store, and from my inspection were thin plastic and didn't seal well. (Tightened the cap and stood on it.. air leaked out)

DUTCH

Curmudgeon
Beware of the newer Moeller Scepter cans currently being sold in the US. In photos they look like they're almost the same as the Scepter MFC's. They're not.

They are made of thinner plastic, have different fill caps that don't seal as well as the MFC, and they are wider at the bottom - probably to make them more stable when standing on the ground. As a result, they will not fit in a standard Jerry can holder.

jeffjeeptj

Adventurer
I bought 9 scepter mfc a few years before the bs carb bs. A few of mine started to leak at the cap when the internal cap gasket retainer had failed. I was pretty unhappy, but lived with it for a few years. I recently replaced the cap parts with genuine stuff from someone in Florida. Leaks have gone away. It appears the gaskets had swelled and may have been a non-gasoline gasket material based on swelling and curvature compared to the non-leakers. Obviously, the carb rules have made parts hard to get too.
I have hauled the scepter mfc cans across the country literally East to West and back, and from Florida to Maine and currently to Virginia. Tied them to the side of my cargo trailer thru rain, mud, hail.
They do hold up well, once I eliminated the non-gas gaskets.
I would buy them again, but do not like current prices. Supply and demand is tough when import rules have to be worked around.
Long story short, I'm glad I have them.

DeMented Toys

Adventurer
You can get the new sceptor 5 gallon CARB compliant cans at Bass Pro and Cabelas for around $30. I think Amazon.com has them too. They also have them in blue for potable water(around $20) and yellow for kerosine. I've been using them for 2 years now with no problems. Different style spouts are available if you don't like the spout they come with.

DinéMetalworks.com

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier