bike beginner

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
I'm in the same beginner situation - looking for a bike - with a mission to ride to Laborador. There are two things I've heard again and again: Firstly, your first bike won't be your last. Secondly, you won't know what you want until you've been riding for a while.

I think it makes sense to get an older cheaper bike first and sell it when everything becomes clear. Or keep it.

I'm looking to start small and light: A DR200/250/350 or XT225/350. I can put both feet comfortably on the ground on a DR200. I sat on a DRZ400 and with my 5'7 and 30" inseam it feels really heavy tilting the bike over to get a foot down. Apparently a DR650 is between the two for seat height but heavier. Of course I have no idea what that really means...

Cheers,
Graham

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
grahamfitter said:
I sat on a DRZ400 and with my 5'7 and 30" inseam it feels really heavy tilting the bike over to get a foot down.

Don't lean the bike over to get a foot on the ground....slide your butt off to one side of the seat...that will gain you plenty of inseam.

flux

Observer
Yeah, the DR350 is a good starter bike. Personally I would look for one with electric start. That being said, I have a buddy who is selling a nice kicker. ;) They are pretty easy to find, too.

We used to have an XT225 and it was just a little too small for my tastes. But it was a nice reliable simple bike. My brother learned how to ride on it and it suited him well but he outgrew it quickly.

Clutch

<---Pass
WhereTheHellIsJames? said:
The CRF is now what Honda calls most of their off-road/motorcross bikes, but there are great differences between them. Some are air colled "woods bikes" While some are liquid-cooled motocross bikes.

Yep, I know, I had a CRF450R at one time. Why Honda starting calling the old XR's, CRF's when they did the palstic redo...I have no idea...kinda lame if you ask me.

WhereTheHellIsJames? said:
Dual-sports are a lot like the Chevy El Camino or the Ford Ranchero: Half car, half truck, not really useful as either one.

Seriously, if you get a chance throw a leg over a 950SE, I think you can have both. It will never be a single track demon, but, if you could only have one bike, I think it is it. Throw some supermoto wheels on for long pavement rides, great dual sport bike! My buddies raced one in Baja. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=290307 I am riding with Tim this weekend. He was keeping times with the A guys on 450's, on the escargot course the last National on a 990 ADV. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhowXDAzY3o The loud mouth on the video is my buddy Bob.

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
cpg said:
Kermit said:
Yep, I know, I had a CRF450R at one time.
How does it compare to the 450?

Which 450?

I have a KTM 300XC now, never going back to a 4-stroke dirt bike, unless a gun is pointed at my head. ;)...even then, I would put up a fight. I would however like a 4-stroke for Baja, it is a pain to carry oil. Maybe the 09 Husaberg....they look sweet, should handle quite well too.

I really liked that Honda, but, the maintenance and weight are the major drawbacks. I had that and a WR450, after rebuilding their topends and fussing with valve adjustments....I went back to 2-strokes. The 300 is a great bike, loads of torque and flat out power, ease maintenance, top ends are cheap ($200) compared to the new generation 4-strokes.

I know a lot of guys who bought the 450's are going back to 2-strokes. I pretty much like all brands, but, the KTM's are like works of art. Highly adjustable too, three differnt springs for the power valve, plus you can fine tune each spring tension, for different types of terrian. Plus dual CDI map, the low setting takes the bark out of the motor, so in low traction terrian, you'll get less wheel spin. Very happy with this bike.

Last edited:

cpg

Adventurer
Kermit said:
cpg said:
Kermit said:
Yep, I know, I had a CRF450R at one time.

Which 450? The CRF 450 you had

I have a KTM 300XC now, never going back to a 4-stroke dirt bike, unless a gun is pointed at my head. ;)...even then, I would put up a fight. I would however like a 4-stroke for Baja, it is a pain to carry oil. Maybe the 09 Husaberg....they look sweet, should handle quite well too.

I really liked that Honda, but, the maintenance and weight are the major drawbacks. I had that and a WR450, after rebuilding their topends and fussing with valve adjustments....I went back to 2-strokes. The 300 is a great bike, loads of torque and flat out power, ease maintenance, top ends are cheap ($200) compared to the new generation 4-strokes.

I know a lot of guys who bought the 450's are going back to 2-strokes. I pretty much like all brands, but, the KTM's are like works of art. Highly adjustable too, three differnt springs for the power valve, plus you can fine tune each spring tension, for different types of terrian. Plus dual CDI map, the low setting takes the bark out of the motor, so in low traction terrian, you'll get less wheel spin. Very happy with this bike.

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
goodtimes said:
Don't lean the bike over to get a foot on the ground....slide your butt off to one side of the seat...that will gain you plenty of inseam.

I know nothing so I just followed the dealer's instructions - lean the bike and weight the uphill peg - actually I was a bit worried I'd drop the thing and set off an expensive domino topple! Both dealers I went to gave me completely different "what bike" advice so its hard to trust either of them given I don't know what I don't know.

Cheers,
Graham

Clutch

<---Pass
cpg said:

You're a man of few words...:D...eh?

Sorry, hard to tell what you were asking over the net.

They are two completely different beasts, the 450 will excell in the tight, the 950 in the wide open. I was shocked how well the 950 handled....and power...well, it might been a bit much. If you wack the throttle open, the rear tire will break loose, then try to come around on you. For aggresive riding, you have to stand, try to keep it pointed straight, and let the rear swap a bit.

It's a big bike, but, wasn't so big that I felt uncomfortable, felt very KTMish, like a rather large 525. I am only 5'8" with a 30" inseam, I didn't have a problem with it's tall seat height. Tim Hilslamer is slightly shorter than me, he didn't have a problem with it either racing in Baja. (He is a Arizona Semi-Pro, though;))

I am trying to have both, a light weight single track bike...(the 300)...saving for a big bike, either that 950SE, or it is going to be a 990ADV. I see wind protection being an issue on the SE, that and small fuel tank....or it might even be the new KTM 690. After owning a few KTM's now...I tend to bleed orange.

The Japanese companies are abandoning the 2-Strokes...(probably because they are making a ton of money off of top end parts)....I refuse to buy anything Honda, because they donate to the Sierra Club....too bad they build nice bikes, it's more of a principle thing than anything. The Sierra Clubbers are killing what I love in life.

I'll recommend their bikes, but, they won't get any of my money any more.

Last edited:

cpg

Adventurer
Kermit said:
You're a man of few words...:D...eh?

Sorry, hard to tell what you were asking over the net.

They are two completely different beasts, the 450 will excell in the tight, the 950 in the wide open. I was shocked how well the 950 handled....and power...well, it might been a bit much. If you wack the throttle open, the rear tire will break loose, then try to come around on you. For aggresive riding, you have to stand, try to keep it pointed straight, and let the rear swap a bit.

It's a big bike, but, wasn't so big that I felt uncomfortable, felt very KTMish, like a rather large 525. I am only 5'8" with a 30" inseam, I didn't have a problem with it's tall seat height. Tim Hilslamer is slightly shorter than me, he didn't have a problem with it either racing in Baja. (He is a Arizona Semi-Pro, though;))

I am trying to have both, a light weight single track bike...(the 300)...saving for a big bike, either that 950SE, or it is going to be a 990ADV. I see wind protection being an issue on the SE, that and small fuel tank....or it might even be the new KTM 690. After owning a few KTM's now...I tend to bleed orange.

The Japanese companies are abandoning the 2-Strokes...(probably because they are making a ton of money off of top end parts)....I refuse to buy anything Honda, because they donate to the Sierra Club....too bad they build nice bikes, it's more of a principle thing than anything. The Sierra Clubbers are killing what I love in life.

I'll recommend their bikes, but, they won't get any of my money any more.

Thanks for the description from your earlier post I was unsure if the big KTM was replacing your CRF450 and did the job fine.

I like riding a bigger bike long distance/dessert/highway, but always want to explore goat trails off the larger trails. A bigger bike would have a good chance of getting destroyed on and not be able make the long haul home.

Hard to balance all of the trade offs.

Clutch

<---Pass
cpg said:
Hard to balance all of the trade offs.

Nothing wrong with having multiple bikes...;)...4 sounds like a good number.

Light weight 2T for the single track, big bore 4T for open desert, plus an extra super moto set up, naked hooligan bike (think Speed Triple or Super Duke)...then a long haul trucker type bike...(think 990 ADV or BMW GS1200)

98sr5

Observer
if only it was in florida its hard to find lots of offroad stuff here that they have in the west. mostly for bikes its just moto or streetbikes hayabusa thingys not any inbetween. and for trucks its all mud this mud that and thats all they are made for or good at. not alot of people are into goin camping here or going out in the wilderness cause it gets extremely hot and muggy. but i am starting to find more people willing to go trail riding its hard to get too far away from the pavement where i live it takes about 4 hours traveling north bound just to get away from the city and thats extreme hick territory.

wow that was a long rant sory lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles