bike beginner

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
I had a klr a 300. GREAT beginner bike. When I needed to have more power I went to a monster. A yz426. It made me a worse rider. Not for me and way above my level.
I like the more mellow power of the enduro bikes.
I have an XR400 and have had it for years now. By leaps and bounds the best compromise of all the bikes I've owned, rented, borrowed, ridden.
It is a jack of all trades. I find myself riding with the really tight single track guys that ride ktm 200 2 strokes or the guys who go to baja.
Its not the best at any of them, but I smile in my helmet when people are working on their bike or kicking it over a bunch, or the bigger 650's run out of gas and I feed them from the petcock.
I hate doing lots of maintanence too so love that its not tempermental. I change the oil/filter every 3 rides. (I would a lot less if I was riding easy on the road with clean air being sucked in)
I change the plug once a year, but dont have to even then. I just don't know what else to do!

There is my sales pitch. Not for my bike, its too far away from you anyway :oops: ,but for the xr400 or xr250 for a first bike. The DRZ400e is a great one also, but I have no experience with it. (accept crying in my helmet that they have electric start)
Good luck and happy riding!

MuddyMudskipper

Camp Ninja
Kermit said:
Nothing wrong with having multiple bikes...;)...4 sounds like a good number.

Light weight 2T for the single track, big bore 4T for open desert, plus an extra super moto set up, naked hooligan bike (think Speed Triple or Super Duke)...then a long haul trucker type bike...(think 990 ADV or BMW GS1200)

There he goes. Working his way to earning the gold plated fiddle.:shakin:

rathackman

Best for a beginner...

Go with your original choice, a TW200. Everyone I know that ha one just loves it. For your application, you have chosen right. All this other stuff is guys b.s.ing about bikes. You can listen to this stuff forever and not be any further toward getting a bike. Your gut told you right.
Brian in NM
....over 50 years riding motorcycles....

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
cpg said:
That is funny!

Those air cooled XR's are bullet proof.
Absolutely! :wings:
The only time I wish I had the e-start was after a ton of falls. (i.e. Tired and beat up and maybe a flooded engine while on the side of a mountain where you can't get a good spot to kick it)
I just had a flash back! (to this hill. Bradshaw trail. Only hikers and MTBikers should be there!)
P1010194.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles