Best Offroad GPS unit

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Here's my take on the GPS. IPad are probably great and all for offroad navigation (I don't use ours for navigation).

I use a Garmin 62stc. I like the fact that I can hook it up to my laptop and use google maps for navigation (I cache the area I will be going to before I lose the wifi). For large areas I create overlays using .JPEG's so regardless of having that area cached, I will have a map of the area I am in.

I can also take the GPS out of the truck and use that on foot if I had to. It also takes AA batteries so I know I can just throw some new batteries in there if it dies. If the iPad dies when you are on foot, now what?

Just my .02 on the issue.

Not saying to throw out your handheld gps... Just that the Garmins are not exactly inexpensive by any stretch.

Also fwiw, my cell phone gps (& not the cell phone network assisted crap) works with maps too and the mapping software is more actively updated and I also have in my rig a Garmin GPS for backup purposes. I typically bring a full brick of AA batteries as well.

4x4tripping

Adventurer
RamMount-ipad.jpg

For Road Navigation:
http://www.4x4tripping.com/2013/04/strassen-navigation-mit-dem-tablet.html

Like mentioned MotionX for Offroad Navigation:
http://www.4x4tripping.com/2013/05/offroad-navigation-mit-motionx-hd-ipad.html

Last edited:

RobRed

Explorer
Great info, thanks. I'm looking into Android options because I know nothing about them. My interest in the hardware based options is that in my experience, they just work better and more reliably, but the cost on those units continues to rise while their advantages shrink. That said, I have never had a single failure with my Gamins and the things that show up on the base maps constantly amazes me. I can't say the same about the iOS apps I've used. I used Trimble on a 1,200 mile trip through the Utah backcountry with detailed waypoints and notes. The program locked up and I couldn't recover any of the information.

You can run multiple apps at the same time and that said, likewise I've never had a failure hardware (3 different iPads) or software Motion X GPSHD. Trimble app = suck. Unfortunately you found out. My earlier point - a developer can come along and build the killer app for nav and you can add it to your iPad. Not the same for hardware based - you're stuck with whatever innovation Garmin decides is right and profitable. I have and use hardware based navs all the time for turn by turn so I'm not down on them but i haven't seen a hardware based nav for offroad that had the speed and flexibility of a tablet.

robgendreau

Explorer
I agree about being cautious about investing in a dedicated unit; mapping is constantly changing and your nav is only as good as your maps or charts. Again, find maps that suit your needs and THEN find the hardware to use them. Not all apps use the same content, and with the Garmin, Lowrance, Magellan dedicated units you are likely to be stuck using their proprietary maps, which may or may not suit you.

For example, I dumped MotionX when it lost Google. I have come to love their aerial photos, although Bing/MS has caught up. Using street view is amazing. Yeah, you can do without it, but why pay more for something and NOT have it? Some of my toughest navigation was in cities, or finding the turnoff, NOT on the backroads where things haven't changed in 50 years.

And there are SO many useful navigation apps besides just the GPS/map apps. Logging for photos. Logging for training. Sharing, including trip updates for safety. Surveying apps, like Theodolite or Sun Seeker, both of which use augmented reality (you see sun paths overlaid over realtime viewfinder video, useful for photography and camping in shade). Peakfinder, for IDing the mountains on the skyline. Various compasses, which make it easy to shoot bearings (and Theodolite or Spyglass). Clinometers; set your wheel's camber. Calculators and almanacs (maybe you use a sextant and wanna calculate your position from that). Range finders. Lap counters and timers, with video, for the track or just speeding. I am sure there are more. And I can buy most all of this for probably less than the degrees-minutes-second calculator and almanac I had to buy for celestial nav. It's amazing.

If you don't wanna commit to an iPad (and although I own one, I gotta say that Android may have it over Apple on this because of the ability to attach external GPS receivers at a higher refresh rate), just find the cheapest smartphone that maybe will work even without a data plan. It's still gonna be cheaper than a Garmin with maps. I still use an iPhone 3GS with cellular and find it useful as a data logger.

And there's also just a plain old GPS without maps, although those are getting harder to find. Just a LCD screen, waypoints, and some way to get them in. USGlobalSat still makes a couple. Use it with a Landmark Atlas or other paper map. Still works fine if you have basic routefinding skills, and if not, good way to learn. It will hold you over till you can afford a pair of Google Glasses.....:Wow1:

MrGrimm

Mall Crawler
Not saying to throw out your handheld gps... Just that the Garmins are not exactly inexpensive by any stretch.

And I agree with you 100% on the price but I use my GPS for more than just sitting in a truck. I just couldn't imagine carrying an ipad on a hike or with me on patrol. The reason I went with the 62stc over other handhelds is that is still receives a signal from inside an armored vehicle like the MRAP.

My handheld is normally carried in upper left hand pouch on my rig.

A23+Apr+25+-+7.jpg

RobRed

Explorer
And I agree with you 100% on the price but I use my GPS for more than just sitting in a truck. I just couldn't imagine carrying an ipad on a hike or with me on patrol. The reason I went with the 62stc over other handhelds is that is still receives a signal from inside an armored vehicle like the MRAP.

My handheld is normally carried in upper left hand pouch on my rig.

View attachment 168573

to be clear my recommendation for iPad as offroad nav is for vehicle use where a 7 or 10 inch screen is useable. for hiking or hand held use i would defer to a 62 or the like.

Snorkeld_Zuk

Adventurer
This maybe kicking at a dead horse, and I considered making a new thread but I am looking for something new. Currently I am using a bu353 USB GPS antenna with a 10.1" Asus EEE and Terrain Navigator software with USGS Topo maps. I am planning a touch screen LCD install in my dash, for now I will be running it off the netbook, with a full carputer install coming later. Terrain Navigator works, but isn't very touch screen friendly and it is kinda outdated. I only use it for exploring back roads, trails and unmapped wilderness. I would like to have even if separate a more city friendly navigation, with turn by turn etc but for off road I want it to use the Topo maps. Any suggestions for windows apparently that can accomplish my goals?

4x4tripping

Adventurer
Good news for the ipad / iphone MotionX Users :ylsmoke:
-
Here is a guide how you can copy files between Computer and Ipad. You can load Apps and you can load files to the Apps this way.
-
i-funbox.png

-
Filetransfer Ipad/Computer
-
Therefore you can load that Version of MotionX that you like - when you have backuped them - or find them somewhere - but that is not really "new".
-
"New" is - that you now have the option to download big areas of the world, and backup them to computer. You can load that part that you need. Therefore there is no limitation anymore. Now you can operate with real high-res Satellite-Images.
-
And you can use your Ipad as USB Stick. Maybe this is not new to you, like for me?
-
This work too with an iphone.
-

mosovich

Observer
Back to topic..

I to am looking for a GPS for my truck that I can load routes and track files to.. I've got friends that us the Montana 600, but it's kinda small for also daily use.. Any recommendations? I don't need cameras and all that btw..

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
4x4 offroading to me is usually wet dirty and remote

The oilfield operates in some of the worst areas on the planet

I carry a Garmin 60csx everywhere- logging trails- the airport- the nearest medial center... its been used to get me back to an airport multiple times when the driver gets lost or directed off his normal route by weather- crashes or missing bridges

In my truck I use a garmin 276

Internationally garmin and basecamp maps have been available everywhere I've been, wether direct from garmin or locally built.

I think for the US a tablet and the available software would be fine, but internationally I find garmin better supported

mosovich

Observer
So, can you down load routes into that friends have sent you? That's what I really want.. I've got friends who have all these routes, but need a Garmin GPS other than the Montana that I can use for them..

Trillium

While all the above can work very well I went full circle back to having custom maps made for each trip and Garmin 62s. I am a real sucker for the new Garmin 24k maps that are fully routable in the back country just like the city Nav. I put in two way points for my upcoming Utah trip and got routed through Dark Canyon, Beef Basin, Bobby's Hole and into the Needles District in CNP. The routed trip was awesome. Please let me know what back country routable apps you use so I can compare.

XploreBaja

Observer
I have run both, iPad Motion Pro and Lowrance 7200 / 540c's, extensively approx 40,000 miles on dirt roads up and down the length of the Baja Peninsula. The Lowrance is much more robust to rugged conditions and the dust / silt that is enevitable. Changing map data and file storage is less cumbersome in the Lowrance...just my two pennies.

While the Lowrance is no longer available retail, you can find new and used Lowrance units on eBay and many other online sellers.

:sombrero::sombrero::sombrero::sombrero:

Just returned late last night from another adventure surfing and riding motos down the beaches of the remote Pacific Coast...

SteeevO

The Lowrance 540c that you mentioned here is a very very dated Lowrance unit.
They have plenty of other units now that are far more capable.
Take a look at the HDS line by Lowrance. Starting with a 5 inch screen going up to 10 with regular buttons and up to 12" screen with touch screen.
A few are listed here: https://ruggedrocksoffroad.com/lowrance-m-482.html
All of HDS units are compatible with the new POINT1-Baja antenna which updates your location to the 10x per second. The Point-1 Baja antenna also has a compass in it so it knows where you're pointed without you having to move and knows this within a few seconds of powering on the unit.
Even when you're in reverse in your 4x4, the arrow stays pointed in the correct direction showing you actually reversing on the screen.

Also, New map cards with ham radio repeaters mapped out and sat imagery (1 Meter per pixel), trail heads with trail summary's, traced 4x4 trailsetc. are coming out soon.
Also teaming up with funtreks to convert their books to lowrance sd cards.

Here are some sample screen shots from my HDS 5M

index.php

index.php

index.php

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles