Best Offroad GPS unit

Dalko43

Explorer
A current iPhone will be able to track your location 100% even without cell signal since it doesn't rely on cell for GPS function. I drove from Arizona to California through the Mojave desert and had tracking and way point reference the whole way.

1) I'm not convinced the built-in GPS units in modern cellphones and mobile devices are as capable as what you get in the dedicated standalone GPS units. I've used an iphone with a built-in GPS and I've used my Garmin Inreach quite extensively for off-the-grid navigation; my inreach generally is much better at getting and maintaining GPS signal, especially in mountainous and wooded terrain.

2) I recognize that most modern phones and mobile devices have the ability to give a location when out of cell range. My earlier post was pointing out that cell phones aren't as durable for outdoor or even in-car use (as earlier posts noted overheating issues). My iphone has overheated in the past as well, its vulnerable to moisture and it's batteries can drain very quickly in freezing temperatures. My inreach has been subjected to all kinds of abuse and weather, and I've never once had to worry about it breaking down.

If someone is planning on exploring really remote areas, either by foot or by vehicle, a dedicated GPS, at least as a backup, is a much safer bet than simply relying on an iphone or ipad...my 2 cents, but then again, I frequent areas in upstate NY where even a GPS unit doesn't always work and map/compass work is a required skill set.

Seems to me

I have had low ranch units for years they are great much better than the farming I have the Baja unit or whatever they call it now is about 500. And as much as I like them for the same 500 I could get an in reach for real problems. And use a tablet for every day stuff. However if I had $ to spare I would probably have a lowrancevand an ireaach

DanCooper

Adventurer
Agree 100%! Last month, in an act of total stupidity, I managed to roll my Yamaha Kodiak ATV on a steep mountainside. It tumbled about 50 yards before ending up in a deep gully. My Montana was in its cradle on the handlebars as per normal and took the brunt of the impact each time the quad rolled. Amazingly, once I cleaned off all the dirt - had to dig out the grit that had become lodged up under the edges of the screen - it worked just fine.

Which is more than I can say for myself...still recuperating.

Wow! Hoping for a speedy recovery!

martnH

I have been using Garmin for the last ten years
First a etrex 30 now using Oregon 650

I find the Garmin topo map great for 4wding. Plenty of details and accurate details too.
Much better than my hema map

I usually take my Garmin GPS and a physical map with me

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

martnH

The latest Oregon 650 can charge it's battery using USB. Which is an improvement

In my opinion, it is best to have a dedicated GPS unit that is reliable.
You don't want to watch movies/play games on a device you will rely on in the wilderness..

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

having owned several GPS units including a very early Soni, a pioneer, a Garmin and 3 lowrance the lowrance has everything I tried beat hands down and by a country mile.

I have had

2 of the Baja and I cant remember but it was a big one mounted into he dash of my chevy truck

Attachments

• chevy truck.jpg
    chevy truck.jpg
    311.1 KB · Views: 27

verdesard0g

Search and Rescue first responder
I use GPS for search and rescue, Garmins have been my choice since I first started using GPS. Only because I'm familiar with them. But even within the Garmin line up there are many differences, sometimes confusing. Garmin maps are pathetic, I get and load maps from gpsfiledepot.com. There you will find local and world wide maps, most are free and much better than any that will come with a new GPS unit.

dstock

Explorer
It appears Lowrance doesn't have any Offroad category anymore on their website, only Marine products listed. Not that you couldn't make one of their chartplotters work of course.

I have one picked it before I hit the road from Ma. to MOAB and it wasnt all that impressive it was hard to use and the graphics were not what you would expect on a 600 unit. JMO

deserteagle56

Adventurer
I use GPS for search and rescue, Garmins have been my choice since I first started using GPS. Only because I'm familiar with them. But even within the Garmin line up there are many differences, sometimes confusing. Garmin maps are pathetic, I get and load maps from gpsfiledepot.com. There you will find local and world wide maps, most are free and much better than any that will come with a new GPS unit.

Same here. I have the gpsfiledepot maps loaded on my Montana and my Nuvi 5000 and RV760LTM.

Shots of the map detail available on the gpsfiledepot maps as seen on my RV760LTM. Historical sites, springs, ranches, are all noted on the map. The green is public land, the tan is private. The Garmin map shows only roads and elevation lines.

I do have both the Garmin City Navigator maps and 24k maps - because they are routable, which the gpsfiledepot maps are not. Using the Garmin maps and Basecamp I can create a track to follow in a minute or so and then load that track onto the Montana. That track shows up just fine on the gpsfiledepot maps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles