4WD Toyota Hiace Van

Di0n

Two years ago I set out on a 6 month roadtrip of my birthplace, New Zealand. This meant at the age of 20 I had to build my first expedition camper. As it was going to be my home full time for 6 months, I needed something that had a comfortable bed and enough room that I could stay inside if the weather was bad, but not so big that it bankrupted me at the fuel pump. I looked at a 1st & a 2nd Gen Toyota Surf (4runner), a Mitsubishi L300 and an L400 before I stumbled across 1992 Toyota Hiace 4x4. It was local and cheap with only 170000kms. $4000 and two weeks later it was mine.

The van was a 2.8 Diesel Manual with selectable 4x4 Hi/Lo ratio. It was also a fairly highly specd model with red velvet interior, separate front/rear A/C & heater, factory curtains and plastic or vinyl trims over all interior steel unlike the stripped out delivery vans.

As for modifications, I fitted 31x10.5R15 tyres and Toyota Surf rims and wound the front torsion bars up two inches. Then my father and I fitted a double bed in the back, along with a gas cooker, 240v inverter & dual batteries.

Although it was an absolute slug in the hills it was unbelievable in every other way. It went anywhere I pointed it, up banks, through rivers, down beaches etc.

ab1985

Explorer
I do. Check out Ruined Adventures build thread - it's a great example of a well appointed 4Runner sleeping two.

NorthernWoodsman

Adventurer/tinkerer
Great van! I love Hi-Ace's and really wish we could have them here in the states. Looks like a really fun trip and thanks for sharing.

Di0n

Thanks for looking everyone, I put up some more scenery shots of the trip soon.

I'm planning to buy another camper this Christmas, just trying to decide what. Tossing up between another Hiace, a 1st Gen 4Runner (Hilux Surf in NZ), or one of these:

Which should be fairly easy to convert to 4WD using Dyna truck or landcruiser parts.

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
Which should be fairly easy to convert to 4WD using Dyna truck or landcruiser parts.

A week or two ago I was on a thread about the litle CC 4x4 Dynas they build in Portugal. I couldn't quite decide what they based the 4wd system on. Looked like maybe 100 series, but could have been Hilux, too. Do you know?

Stone_Blue

Adventurer
I'm certainly no expert, but IIRC, the Hiace's have generally shared the drivetrains from the Hilux/Pickups, and the Dyna's are a little more heavy duty, and have generally shared the drivetrains from the Landcruisers....

I gotta say, all you non-North Americans get ALL the kewl Toyotas!... :(

BigOly

I don't know if I missed all the pics but do you have any interior shots? For some reason I am really diggin the look and functionality of this van! :)

nieldavis

Steering geometry

As for modifications, I fitted 31x10.5R15 tyres and Toyota Surf rims and wound the front torsion bars up two inches. Then my father and I fitted a double bed in the back, along with a gas cooker, 240v inverter & dual batteries.

Hi DiOn

Apologies for resurrecting such an old thread - I don't know if you're still posting on this forum...
I was wondering if you had any problems with camber/castor/toe, clearance on full lock, or rubbing at front/back etc with the Toyota Surf rims and the tyres that you put on?

I have recently bought what sounds like an identical Hiace to yours, and I'm desperate to get rid of the horrible factory steelies on it, but don't want to run into a world of pain with the new wheels that means I have to take a lump hammer to the wheel arches and chop the axle!

No one in the UK seems to sell new wheels with a 6 x 139.7 PCD and a centre bore of 108 mm, so I'm looking at rims from other Toyota's, just like you did.

There's a guy here in the UK that sells a kit for extended shackles for raising the rear leaf springs, and I can wind up the torsion bars at the front, so raising the van's not a problem.

I'd be very grateful for your advice buddy

Niel

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz