1998 Dodge Durango Expedition Project

MrCoffee

Hey Everyone,

Been lurking for a while, and I thought it was time to start posting, now that I have moved beyond the "wishing" stage, into an actual building stage. So many awesome vehicles here, my own projects seem a bit.... lame in comparison.... :/ I haven't seen any Durango's here on the forum..... maybe I just haven't looked in the right place yet?

Like the title says, I am taking my old daily drive, and starting a restore/build project. Since both time and funds are very limited, and because of some special considerations (explained below), this is going to be a very mild build. I am going to try and stay pretty close to stock for the most part.

Here's an older picture of the truck, will get some more current ones to add to the thread.
FB-Durango.jpg

The rig is completely stock, except for slightly upsized tires, or at least upsized according to the dealer. It is a standard SLT package, with the 5.2L V-8. I am running generic 31"X10"X15" AT tires. The dealer says that the stock size is/was 235/75/15, but the books says 31's on the SLT package. Either way, I have no rub, and plenty of room with the 31's.

The good:
106k original miles (I have owned it since 30k)
Engine, transfer case, transmission, axles all solid, no drive line issues.
New ball joints, tie rods, front brakes.
Floors, tailgate, quarter panels all solid
Decent mileage, avg 18-20 if I am gentle on the pedal.
After market towing package installed.

The bad:
Front Bumper rusted through, needs replacing
Drives door shot, rusted through
Steer has tons of play, lower column needs replacing
Exhaust rotted through at manifold
Rear brakes shot, pads are non existent, drums are pretty bad too
Gas tank skid plate missing, no idea when it was removed or why, just noticed it was gone one day... :/
Headlight lens are junk, cloudy to the point of useless, fog lights are dead
Paint on hood scratched threw to bare metal
Dead battery
Screwy master door locks/window control switch

So it isn't a bad list, nothing huge or unrepairable.

One of the biggest problems with the project is I am not mechanically inclined at all. I don't mind doing the work, I actually kind of enjoy it, but I am not very good at it, nor do I have any experience. Because of budget, I have to do the work on this myself, with friends helping. The steering is my biggest concern, then the exhaust.

The basic plan is to correct all the mechanical problems, replace the bumper and door, and then start adding to the rig for overland travel, but not anything too extreme. I have driven this rig off-road a number of times, taken it on the trails that I use to travel with my TJ and YJ's, and I have found it to be pretty capable. Nothing to extreme, because it was/is my family mover/daily driver, still I have a solid feel of what it can do.

Upgrades/add-on's:

Brush Guard/pre runner (?)
Rooftop cargo rack
32"X11"X15 (?) or at least MT rated tires (maybe better AT tires?)
Nerf Bars/rock sliders (the stock running board rotted off)
Skid Plates
Tow Hooks/Recovery gear
Rear lighting
CB and dual band 2m/70cm radio's

Some considerations I have to keep in mind with this build/project. One, I am out in all kinds of wild weather, as a member of ARES/CERT, but also because I am in New England we get the full gambit of weather. Wind is a major concern, as I travel a good section of highway to and from work that is known for dangerous cross winds. I spend a good deal of time during the hurricane Irene pulling stuck cars out of huge puddles. Second, my youngest child is special needs, and has trouble getting up into the Durango at it's current height. So I do not plan to lift this rig at all.

The truck has great cargo space, one of the things I love about it, but with 3 dogs, 2 kids, plus myself and my wife, that space gets used up very quickly. We have a Hi-Lo camper, and I need to keep that in mind, for towing. (only a a 14ft, but it is 3800, empty!) Most of the time for exploring we'll be using a small utility trailer and not the camper. Being in New England, the trails vary a lot, and I am not really interested in hard core rock crawling (can't with my son anyways), but exploring class 4 roads is more what we'd like to do.

I looked at recovery gear, and a winch plus the brush guard/mount combo, and the pricing is way out of what I can afford. I am going to install additional tow hooks, front and rear, get a solid set of straps and a come a long. That is the best I can do with my budget.

Anyways, I hope to have this project up and rolling by the time the Vermont Overland Rally/Workshop rolls around in a couple of months. Will post up pics and info as I work on the project.

Cheers!

nasty nate

I am looking forward to your progress! I too am the proud owner of a bone stock 1st gen Rango. love the truck, and plan on slowly building it, but my lack of fabrication skills will slow me down. as I'm sure you know, these wonderful trucks have slightly less than zero aftermarket support.

srch4me

Adventurer
Decent mileage, avg 18-20 if I am gentle on the pedal.

I have the same vehicle. 18 -20 is wishful thinking with these engines. Still a solid expo platform though. One of the best mods is a traction aid. A Detroit locker or a track-lok LSD do wonders for traction.

Some maintenance to do is to make sure your not sucking oil through the plenum into the intake. This is one of the major issues with our trucks.

A great add on is a knn air filter system with the conical filter

The steering us probably the gear box. Buy a new one and its four bolts and two hoses to change.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

MrCoffee

I have the same vehicle. 18 -20 is wishful thinking with these engines.

Funny... cause that is what I was getting for mileage out of it driving to and from work daily since i bought it..... the list of upgrades, that all makes good sense, thanks for the input :)

Look forward to this one, the Durango is pretty underated.

I agree, so much so, I am thinking of calling it "Project Underdog" :D

i love this body style.. Had to find clean ones here. They are rotted out and beat to hell

Yup, welcome to Vermont (I work in VT, live in NH)... freaking road salt/sand kills the Durango's faster then you can say Bondo......

Kohburn

Adventurer
i've got a 2002 withthe 4.7 and the longer towing gears - i always got 15 mpg city or highway - its more like 13 these days
still its a good vehicle and has served me well for years.

maddmaxx

Observer
Let me know if you need any help Not very far away.. I live in brattleboro. Access to full garage with a pipe bender :)

Eds98Durango

my Durango

I am also the owner of a 98 Durango very close to yours, i have done some minor body work on my durangos hood i have replaced the headlights with new smoked headlights from ebay, it has no rust! i currently have a brush guard that inwas told would fit my durango but i have found that my brush guard is not the size that fits my "Rango" other than that i love my rango! But i do have plans to put in a brand new create motor. V8 318 the same that is in it now! Im adding a Summit racing cab visor with lights soon and i have flat blacked my hood! To reduse glare! And it looks pretty cool! More to come!

I have to post some pics of my work soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94