Duramax manual transmission combo...

Flagster

Expedition Leader
I found a low miles 2007 GMC sierra 2500 with the duramax/manual transmission combo...Still waiting on some pics to confirm but I thought the manual wasn't an option past 2003...so am wondering if he is going to send me pics of a manual transmission gasser or an auto duramax
What is the last year that the manual transmission was offered in the Chevy/GMC hd trucks? And how are these transmissions holding up?

Kaisen

Explorer
I found a low miles 2007 GMC sierra 2500 with the duramax/manual transmission combo...Still waiting on some pics to confirm but I thought the manual wasn't an option past 2003...so am wondering if he is going to send me pics of a manual transmission gasser or an auto duramax
What is the last year that the manual transmission was offered in the Chevy/GMC hd trucks? And how are these transmissions holding up?

I know for sure they made them through the 2006 model year, and I *think* they made the 2007 CLASSIC bodystyle LBZ with the ZF6 manual, but they did NOT make the 2007-up new body style (LMM) with a stick

Clutch

<---Pass
I know for sure they made them through the 2006 model year, and I *think* they made the 2007 CLASSIC bodystyle LBZ with the ZF6 manual, but they did NOT make the 2007-up new body style (LMM) with a stick

I *think* you're right. The 2500/3500's were a year behind the 1500's getting the newer body style.

The 6.0 gas had the 5 speed manual, and the 8.1 gas and the 6.6 diesel had the 6 speed manual and auto options. IIRC

Kaisen

Explorer
I *think* you're right. The 2500/3500's were a year behind the 1500's getting the newer body style.

The 6.0 gas had the 5 speed manual, and the 8.1 gas and the 6.6 diesel had the 6 speed manual and auto options. IIRC

No, GM did that stupid thing they do where both bodystyles were available the same model year, 2007, and they called the old one 'Classic'. Both 1/2 tons and Heavy Duty models in 2007. The big difference mechanically was the Classics still used the non-regen LB7 where the 'new' 2007 LMM complied with the 2008 regen emissions laws. GM didn't sell enough Duramax manuals to certify the manual with the new motor in the new truck.

Anyway, I think you could find a 2007 Classic with a 6 speed

The question would be "WHY"??

Clutch

<---Pass
No, GM did that stupid thing they do where both bodystyles were available the same model year...

Ahh so that was it.

The question would be "WHY"??

Can't speak for Flag-ster, but I prefer a manny over an auto, not that one is better than the other, just like driving them better.
It is actually a big dilemma for me, as none of the half ton trucks have manual trans anymore. I am in the market for a new truck,
and that is the numero uno thing holding me back.

Last edited:

Flagster

Expedition Leader
Thanks fellas...
I know all about that model year overlap "classic" crap since I have a sierra 3500 "classic" model year 2000...
As for the manual transmission...I knew I would get "why" since the other option is the allison...guess it's just for ********** and giggles...try something different

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I love my manual transmission, far better control over acceleration and braking than an auto, plus if the batteries ever die I can roll start it.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Yeah, those S6-650 ZF 6-speeds are pretty rare in GM trucks. Available from 2001 to 2007 in the GMT900 truck and up to 2009 in the GMT560 C4500 truck. ZF claims 2003 is supposed to be the highest population of trucks built with the 6 speeds over other years.

They are big and brutally strong
5368672466_9bcc8c52be_o.jpg

I have this trans in my 2001 8.1L Silverado. Can’t say that I am a big fan of this trans tho. The shift gates are horrible and the shift pattern is even worse. Reverse over near your knee…..how dumb! Reminds me of a Stupid Duty transmission (oh, wait!...it is).... Wish I would have bought this truck with the Allison when I bought it new. I’d take a NV4500 5 speed over the 6 speed any day. No NV4500’s behind Dirtymax’s though, if you must have a diesel.
5258494792_dd50f9558e_z.jpg

aardvarcus

Adventurer
When I was truck shopping a year and a half ago, I was looking for a 8.1 2500HD with a manual. I could not find one that wasn't either beat to death or drastically priced higher than an automatic. I very actively looked for 3 months within a 500 mile radius of East Tennessee. I got a LOT of false positives; apparently people working in car lots don't know a manual transfer case from a stick shift. I ended up finding a very nice low mileage Allison at a reasonable price that I couldn't pass up. Still wish I had gotten the manual, but the automatic is handy sometimes. If it is a manual and you decide you want something else, you shouldn't ever have a problem selling it.

chaos616

Adventurer
So, I know this isn't the point of this thread, and I am glad GM offers a manual transmission, but I have to agree with some comments of not liking the GM manual, I personally feel the same that I never like the shift pattern, its too close for me and too...non positive as in you just kind of hope you got it in gear right. I personally would love to toss my automatic from my 2007 GMC 2500HD 6.0L classic body style in the trash and get an NV4500 or something. I wonder how hard that would be to do with all the fancy electronics now a days? Any aardvarcus, yes it seems manuals are more expensive these days, i don't know how i feel about that.

Edit: I only have experience with the 5 speed GM manual, it would be interesting to try the 6 speed but its probably pretty similar.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I assume the ZF uses a dual mass flywheel clutch to kill engine spike induced resonance from the aluminum cased tranny as is the case with my G-56. When you do the smf conversion,the once silent tranny will make all kinds of racket especially poking through parking lots and the inevitable premature upshift.
In my case I switched the fluid from ATF+4 to Mercedes recommended Mobil Delvac 50. I thin with Amsoil 5-30 Synchromesh. This combination has proven effective in long haul applications and cuts the noise down considerably.
I've stood next to a Superduty with the conversion and it sounded like rocks were in the tranny.
I've ridden in GM's with the Allison and it's a nice dependable transmission.
www.thedieselplace.com is a good source of info for GM's.

Clutch

<---Pass
So, I know this isn't the point of this thread, and I am glad GM offers a manual transmission, but I have to agree with some comments of not liking the GM manual, I personally feel the same that I never like the shift pattern, its too close for me and too...non positive as in you just kind of hope you got it in gear right. I personally would love to toss my automatic from my 2007 GMC 2500HD 6.0L classic body style in the trash and get an NV4500 or something. I wonder how hard that would be to do with all the fancy electronics now a days? Any aardvarcus, yes it seems manuals are more expensive these days, i don't know how i feel about that.

Edit: I only have experience with the 5 speed GM manual, it would be interesting to try the 6 speed but its probably pretty similar.

Maybe Larry would know, I would like to get a late model GM with the 5.3 and toss in a NV4500....not having any luck on my intergooglemachine searches. Pretty
sure it will bolt up, it is the computer that is the problem.

Did find a guy who swapped in a 6 speed in a Avalanche, said the the clutch pedal mounting points were even there.

http://chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php?topic=90504.0

Last edited:

Flagster

Expedition Leader
Yeah, those S6-650 ZF 6-speeds are pretty rare in GM trucks. Available from 2001 to 2007 in the GMT900 truck and up to 2009 in the GMT560 C4500 truck. ZF claims 2003 is supposed to be the highest population of trucks built with the 6 speeds over other years.

They are big and brutally strong
5368672466_9bcc8c52be_o.jpg

I have this trans in my 2001 8.1L Silverado. Can’t say that I am a big fan of this trans tho. The shift gates are horrible and the shift pattern is even worse. Reverse over near your knee…..how dumb! Reminds me of a Stupid Duty transmission (oh, wait!...it is).... Wish I would have bought this truck with the Allison when I bought it new. I’d take a NV4500 5 speed over the 6 speed any day. No NV4500’s behind Dirtymax’s though, if you must have a diesel.
5258494792_dd50f9558e_z.jpg

Thanks and good to know about the shift patterns...
Turns out the truck was an auto (so many false positives when using car.com/autotrader/etc)...so the search is still on.
Not set on a diesel so a gas option might work out better with the 5spd

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior