New Guy

Willman

TigerPaw said:

^Thanks!

HPIM0132.jpg

:camping:

Robert Bills

Explorer
The purpose of rear receiver on my trailer is for a bike rack, D-ring, etc. It also serves as the mount for my rear "landing leg" to keep the trailer from tipping when unhitched in camp. (Don't have a photo of the rear landing leg, but I'll post one the next time the trailer is out of the garage and I can shoot one.)

kj4vyi

Cool trailer

Know this is an old thread but just had to ask a question on this.

Cool trailer been searching for ideas!!

What is the make of your propane tank and how is it plumbed?

Thanks

Chad

Robert Bills

Explorer
Wow. This is an old thread. And the question regarding my propane tank makes me feel even older.

The propane tank is a Manchester ASME horizontal propane tank, 11 or 12# if I recall correctly.

These tanks used to be common on saltwater power boats during the 1940s and early 1950s (before someone figured out that storing propane where fumes would sink into the bilge is a dangerous practice). When I restored my Bantam trailer in 2006 I wanted to replace the 20# BBQ tank I already had with something compact that would fit on the trailer tongue. I remembered seeing horizontal propane tanks on "vintage" trailers and boats when I was a kid, and also remembered some vintage wooden boats being restored in the 1970's (when I was in my 20's) that eliminated these in favor of more modern arrangements. My research indicated that the ASME horizontal propane tanks manufactured before 10/1/98 were exempt from being retrofitted with the OPD (overfill prevention device), so a horizontal tank seemed like the perfect solution if I could find one.

I searched old trailer repair shops and marine chandleries for several years before I stumbled across my tank gathering dust in a
corner of a trailer repair shop in Costa Mesa CA. I think I paid $25 for it, and another $25 to have it de-scaled, pressure tested, painted and refilled. Unfortunately, when I did a google search this morning the only photos I could find of the particular Manchester tank I own are photos of my trailer. Surely there must be more of these tanks still out there.

Plumbing is very simple. I use a "vintage" propane stove and lanterns that run off a manifold connected to a dual-stage low pressure regulator. I've thought about switching to a high pressure system (Partner Steel and Camp Chef stoves as well as most "modern" propane lanterns use high pressure), but my existing equipment is still going strong so there is no reason to change it.

kj4vyi

Robert

Thanks for the info on the tank

Mark also pm'd me another idea as well

I was thinking of my brother in law has a few vw bus campers that he is dismantling and selling the useful parts that i know there are a few tank that i remember seeing !! may try that

Your trailer and the many others here on the forum are great!! and all the great info

Thanks
Chad

Robert Bills

Explorer
VW Westfalia propane tanks are a good option if you can find a used one. I've been out of the VW world for a few years, but the last I knew used tanks were selling for about $100-125.

New tanks cost about $350!!
253070601D.jpg

Ar_Davis

I may have missed this but how much does your trailer weigh loaded? I'm starting to build a t3-c and the 10 leaf springs seem like they may be a bit much for one of these type trailers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior