2000 Ford 7.3L Motovan build (225's build cont'd)

Village Idiot
Update:

I finally got the turbo out. Turbo isn't leaking, I don't think.

I tried to wiggle the intake manifold that's connected to the intake plenum's, it moved very easily. So I'm thinking that's the issue.

Village Idiot
Here is the turbo out of the way:

pgv7csJh.jpg

See how the oil looks like it's being blown away from the turbo? It's everywhere. Hard to make a decision on where the leak is coming from.

FDM2012

Adventurer
I had a mess like that on mine. I finally found that the crossover rail line had a pin hole
in it (from rubbing on the head of a bolt or something) and it was misting.
After talking to the guys at NAVISTAR, I guess it it somewhat common,
and might be worth looking into here.
I replaced it with the HPX from Riff Raff Diesel.

Since it was already torn down, I also replaced the intake boots, added crush sleeves,
and eliminated the AIH for better air flow.

It's only time and $$, Right? lol

Presentation1.jpg

pgv7csJh.jpg

See how the oil looks like it's being blown away from the turbo? It's everywhere. Hard to make a decision on where the leak is coming from.

Last edited:

Village Idiot
I had a mess like that on mine. I finally found that the crossover rail line had a pin hole
in it (from rubbing on the head of a bolt or something) and it was misting.
After talking to the guys at NAVISTAR, I guess it it somewhat common,
and might be worth looking into here.
I replaced it with the HPX from Riff Raff Diesel.

Since it was already torn down, I also replaced the intake boots, added crush sleeves,
and eliminated the AIH for better air flow.

It's only time and $$, Right? lol

I'll order a HPX for good measure, and I am deleting the AIH also. And putting in a new glow plug relay, since it's easy to get to right now.

The next day.....

I cleaned the plenum boots, and the intake manifold. Prepping for gauge taps. I'm putting the boost sensor tapped in the intake manifold, and the EGT sensor on the Y unison on the exhaust side right before it goes in the turbo.

I had to order new up pipes because the bolts broke off in the Y and I've read those need to be replaced after a while anyway.

Since I had the turbo out, I went ahead and ordered a wicked wheel 2, SCT tuner to go with the exhaust system. Hopefully this week, I'll have her running again. Hopefully.

Plenum boots cleaned and back on:

DTtYCNhh.jpg

Clean intake, ready to get tapped lol:

sSMrbaah.jpg

Dirty girl needs cleaned:

3cArs34h.jpg

I'm also going to clean up the engine valley once I get the intake manifold back on.

Village Idiot
Nice. Pretty much the same stuff i did. You will love the results!

Thanks, I've been working my butt off on the thing.

Pulled my headliner out while waiting on parts. Covered it in black suede. The front section, I'm gonna do in some crazy pattern for the hell of it.

Zf1XkqLl.jpg

Look how fancy:

1ZOiQCcl.jpg

Exhaust is out:

hqJKYJLl.jpg

Stupid brown truck still hasn't showed up today with the new exhaust.

Installed all the gauge sensors and will wire them up tomorrow. I really hate crawling under a van.

Last edited:

clarkh

Observer
So that curly thing in the intake y is the AIH? Was wondering when I had mine out

pgv7csJh.jpg

Village Idiot
So that curly thing in the intake y is the AIH? Was wondering when I had mine out

Yea, that's it. The way I did it, was pull the AIH out, the cut the coil off just behind the threads. Then follow the red wire to the relay and unplug it, and tape up the ground and re-install the AIH plug. My boost gauge sensor is tapped right next to it.

Exhaust finally came in last night. I was surprised how big it was (lol). It also came with an extra section in case I want to delete the muffler. But the muffler is very small. So I think it will be fine.

VLFmlUnl.jpg

That downpipe is yuge.

mxL1l24l.jpg

Shiny 5" tip.

2aZsdoul.jpg

It was kinda a pain in the butt to install. I had to drop the transmission cross member to get the down pipe in. The dropping part was easy, putting the cross member back was a different story.

Now, waiting on new up pipes, turbo wheel, and tuner. I can't wait to crank this bastard up.

Village Idiot
The tuner and compressor wheel came in. Just waiting on the up pipes to show up tomorrow, and I'm off to it.

Wicked Wheel 2:

rIT5rbDl.jpg

Kinda cool looking:

S2uHVmel.jpg

I'll post a video tomorrow once it's going.

Village Idiot
Hole - e sheet. She runs. GOOD.

Went for a ride on me bike today, and stopped by UJOR. Such a good group of guys. Buy everything you can from them.

FDM2012

Adventurer
Yeah, all of that stuff, (including Bill Hewitt's Performance Mods) really woke mine up.

Glad it worked out fer ya! :victory:

How you like that whistle?

Village Idiot
Yeah, all of that stuff, (including Bill Hewitt's Performance Mods) really woke mine up.

Glad it worked out fer ya! :victory:

How you like that whistle?

Thanks, I can't hear the turbo whistle outside at all, but I can inside. And I figured it would roal coal more, it does, just not as much as I thought it would.

Here's the startup video. I'll get one next time I go out of it hauling butt lol.

FDM2012

Adventurer
I highly recommend contacting Jodi for a custom tune. He seems to be the SHIZNIT on 7.3 tunes.

https://www.dp-tuner.com/contact-office.html

What tuner did you get?

He probably won't remember me, but tell him Eric sent you! lol

If you feel the need to roll coal, I'm sure he can accommodate that.

Eventually, I am going to take my rig to him, so he can do a "Live Tune", for optimum results.

Right now, it is probably producing more torque/power than I really need, so I will have him tweak it out.

Either way, it sounds like you are doing well on yours! Pics of gauge set up?

Village Idiot
I highly recommend contacting Jodi for a custom tune. He seems to be the SHIZNIT on 7.3 tunes.

https://www.dp-tuner.com/contact-office.html

What tuner did you get?

He probably won't remember me, but tell him Eric sent you! lol

If you feel the need to roll coal, I'm sure he can accommodate that.

Eventually, I am going to take my rig to him, so he can do a "Live Tune", for optimum results.

Right now, it is probably producing more torque/power than I really need, so I will have him tweak it out.

Either way, it sounds like you are doing well on yours! Pics of gauge set up?

Thanks for the info. Gauge pics coming as soon as I get back from Chicago this weekend.

Here are a few pics before we left.

I went to the local van rally, and U-Joint Offroad showed up with all their sweet rigs.

Honda Element outfitted:

e40rGlFl.jpg

ElvCINPl.jpg

This one was cool:

flInTu6l.jpg

Mini van:

iN07pxYl.jpg

On to the UJOR cool stuff:

h0mVvjll.jpg

qK4V8XGl.jpg

What my van will look like;

ry3fzpKl.jpg

M1IArKKl.jpg

Village Idiot
I pulled the suede headliner because it looked like junk.

So I decided to make a little addition.

Plan A, didn't like it:

8oswLBfl.jpg

Plan B:

Component speaker pods in the headliner about a foot behind the front seats:

PELayDDl.jpg

bJGJDJ9l.jpg

LYhQAPTl.jpg

I'm going back to work tomorrow, so I put it up until I get back:

GHHO9Ddl.jpg

And.... the front headliner. With a LED strip as the dome light, suede visor wraps:

UwEsLvNl.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior