Traction / Ladder Bars For Full Size Rigs

D45

Explorer
So........what full size truck owners are running which?

I was originally using CPP bars, which really increased the overall dive-ability of the truck.

http://www.cumminsperformanceparts.com/cpptrba.html

It felt much more solid and the power was being transferred to the ground..........but they were solid mounts and the suspension was binding.

I took them off the sold them

I was looking at these, but %@$* they are $800:

http://www.glacierdieselpower.com/dept.aspx?dept_id=11-001

Anyone running the cheaper Pro Comp or Tough Country bars?

bob91yj

Resident **************
I need to do something to my Dmax one of these days. I've learned to control it over the years, but every now and again I still feel the rear springs wind up and it starts hopping. I've thought of fabbing my own, it's not like they are rocket science. Articulation is not a huge concern for me. The truck is just to get me and all of my crap "there", basically it's dirt road capable, once "there" the Jeep takes over for the fun stuff!

I've had little success with the quality from anything I've ever purchased from Pro-Comp over the years, a crack in a pitman arm for my YJ (rock crawler) along one of the splines where it fits on the sector shaft was the final straw with them. That one could have really been ugly if it had completely failed while travelling at speed. I'll admit that I'm hard on equipment, especially my Jeeps. Maybe I'm not being fair with Pro Comp, parts failing at the mall is one thing, parts failure where I go can be a whole 'nother story. (I now carry a spare pitman arm!)

Last edited:

D45

Explorer
I am going to give the Pro Comp bars a try.......

Mounting Kit: #72098B
Ladder Bars: #72501B

Both will be about $450 shipped........very good price!

I would just drill and tap the bushing sleeves/mounts for some grease fittings

I really like the polyurethane bushing design, but like the axle-end mount design event better

I am not a fan of the u-bolt style axle clamp on mounting method that most have.....nothing is securely locking the mounts into the axle.

Without a few tack welds or a full solid weld, the u-bolts just can't hold 1,000+ ft lbs of torque

Plus, the Pro Comps do not hang absurdly low on the axle

I really like how Pro Comp designed the axle mount bracket for their traction bars, because it is held on by both rear axle leaf pack u-bolts:

brackets_zps8b79b121.png

Install:
http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/instructions/exp-72098b_inst_5_19_08.pdf

Revco

Adventurer
Built my own for an old Dodge dually diesel. 1.75" DOM, adjustable bushing ends with grease zeros. Swing shackle pointed up at frame mount and 3/8" plate double mount at axle. The shackle allows for a bit of movement so its not harsh like a solid mount, but still pushes the chassis up at the front, resulting in weight transfer to the rear axle for better traction. Shackle/pivoting bushing also allows more articulation for normal driving and won't bind up. This was on a high hp daily driven 2wd truck. Didn't know they were there while normal driving, but you could feel the axle plant as soon as you laid into it. The longer the better, goodbye wheel hop.

D45

Explorer
The longer the better yes, but it should also be at or near the front ujoint area(s) on the rear driveshaft, to minimize binding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior