PcCruiser's M101a2 build

I've owned a few M101A2's if you check www.steelsoldiers.com you can often find all the parts you need for these trailers. They also like expedition portal have military vehicle rallies where you can pick up parts cheap. I always found the 16" tires like Cooper 10 ply on rims for as cheap as $20-$50 bucks each in great condition. The trailer also uses the same rims and tires as the M1008 CUCV military trucks which are still very plentiful. Good luck! I sure miss mine.

Pccruiser

Observer
Well. Had a few nibbles but no bites. So I sand down the bad spots, knocked of flaking paint and got rid of rust. Then I bondoed the low spots on the lip so a lid could sit level. Then I finally painted it!

The smoke gray was lighter than if thought but once I bed line over the lip and on the lower fender flare and lip line I think it will break it up nice.

eneqypuz.jpg

hune8a3y.jpg

Next up is bed line. Then I'll take the tub off and flip it so I can paint frame and underside black. Run lights and weld on some trailer hitches on the sides a la Mark Harley.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Pccruiser

Observer
Fully primed inside of the tub. Will put bedliner on Thursday or Saturday.

qy7ama9y.jpg
made6yhe.jpg

Pccruiser

Observer
Got the hitch receivers welded on. Painting the frame and running the bed liner today.

Not the prettiest welds but for a beginner welding above me I'll take it. Tested and they are very strong.

ynajetur.jpg

nu2una5u.jpg

qanenyma.jpg

RagnarD

Adventurer
Looking good. Glad you decided to keep it. Funny how motivating a little progress is.

That is the break away lever. Look like it is in the correct position for operation too.

Pccruiser

Observer
Here's some crappy pictures of the bed liner one. I'll get more later that show the frame and the wheels painted etc later. This is raw. I haven't put on the freshly painted reflectors or d shackles yet in these pics. The tail gate Isn't even on. Didn't have time with fathers day.

guzy7e4y.jpg

3ysu2aju.jpg

Pccruiser

Observer
Pardon the mess. I am a messy project doer. All I have left are the wheels and running the led brake lights for the restoration bit. Didn't have time before vacation tomorrow.

juta4aja.jpg

y4e5e6uz.jpg

pegu9ypy.jpg

Once I finish then it's on to the fun projects like building the lid, installing water tank and pump and putting in the tongue box with batteries and electronics.

And of course coming up with creative ideas for the modular hutch receivers on the side. I think side mount kayak racks are a must.

Pccruiser

Observer
Looks good. Any reason not to grind off the old NATO plug holder on top the frame?
Because I wanted that stinking thing black! lol. I will grind it off once I get a tongue box but in meantime it's not an eye sore.

following the mantra: you don't have to start perfect. just start.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online