Unsure what direction to go.

Samorkand

I recently traded for a 2000 F-450 7.3L Cab and Chassis. It was used in the Oilfield but has low miles and seems to run fairly well. It is my first Diesel. It isn't my first Dually. I plan to use the truck to haul my camper to the mountain mostly. I have looked all over the Net for Super Single rims to get away from the Duals. Most are crazy expensive for both the rims and tires. Not sure of the most cost effective rim or tire size to go with. Also the gears are 4.88's. Any suggestions on best tire hieght to make the most of the engines best power RPM? I figured this would be a really good place to ask and see what turns up. I also have been looking for a lift kit for it. Not much luck there either. I only want to go 4" at the most. Here's some pictures.

I traded a 1999 V6 Mustang for this Truck and $1500. Only wanted $4000 for the car so I figure I made out really well. Now just need to decide what direction to go. Any and all suggestions and help are appreciated thanks.

Betarocker

Adventurer
4.88s behind the diesel I'd suggest around 40"+ tires to get you revs on the highway that are normal. I run 4.10s with 37" tires and like that for where and how I use my truck. If I towed more or had an auto I'd have gone with 4.30s.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
4.88 is fine. You won't have top spend $$$$$ on gears! 35-39" should be fine with that gear.
-
I'd likely just run a 255/85 or 285/75 tire and keep her as a dually. Check out the f450 f550, and heavy dodge threads for giant SRW conversions. I've never done anything like that.

Samorkand

I appreciate the responses. If I was going to keep it mostly on pavement or good gravel roads I would leave it Dually. To be honest it will probably stay a Dually till I can afford the $600 or so per rim and I'm sure close to that per tire. I need to call Rickson and see what they recommend. The pickup has a few issues I need to get ironed out before I really decide what to do. May have an Oil Pan leak. If so from what I have read I will need to pull the engine. Really hope I wont have to. The clutch slave cylinder may need replaced. I want to pull it out and see if I can bleed air out of it. also has an issue with the glow plugs. If I go out and turn the key on to warm them and turn the engine over it wont start. If I cycle it a couple times then it fires up. I think I need new glow plugs. At first I thought it was the relay but the relay is fine. I need to get the clutch worked out to drive it to the car wash to clean everything off to find the oil leak.

I used a couple calculators online for the RPM/gear ratio/tire size. I figured id be stuck with 40"+ just wasnt sure if there was an optimum rpm range to get the most from power and fuel mileage. Main reason I got this was the towing and mileage. I drive a 1999 F250 with a V-10. I love the truck just not the 6mpg i get when pulling my camper.

That motorhome on that link is pretty sweet btw. Thanks again for the responses.

Bushcoat

one trail at a time
As the saying goes, "go west young man"

Awesome truck, Id love to own something like that. I vote sleeper cab, plus a flatdeck to haul 2 sleds, and 40x13.5x17s duallys, spacers.

BigTex

Observer
Maybe a long shot, but I vote to put that 70's era, extended cab ford cab on it! Then build a short flat bed for it, converted to singles of course. It could be a ford version of Hacksters build!

Samorkand

Yeah I would consider the 78 body on it but that pickup was my Grandfathers. He bought it in 1984 and drove it from Alaska to Wyoming when my Grandparents finally moved back. I have heard its a real pain to put the 7.3 in a pickup that body style too.

DeweyH

Observer
how hard would it be to put that body on the frame, i have done a few and its just making new body mounts...i know it sounds harder then it is

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Maybe a long shot, but I vote to put that 70's era, extended cab ford cab on it! Then build a short flat bed for it, converted to singles of course. It could be a ford version of Hacksters build!

This is in the back of my mind for when the body goes bad on my '98 Dodge 3500. Putting a Cummins in a Ford gets you a Fummins, so I think I would call my version a Fodge!:sombrero:

Samorkand

From what I have read on putting the 7.3l in that body style of pickup. A lot of the headache comes from the firewall on the earlier pickups. A few I have seen they had to replace the entire firewall making it recess back farther. One guy replaced the whole firewall and dash.

I found this link http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/ford/974963-1979-powerstroke.html kinda explains it. My Grandfather was a trucker for years. There are lights all over that 78. He converted it to a Dually and put a Holly Projection kit on it. It was back in about 1988 or so when Holley first came out with the add on fuel injection kits. He always talked about putting a diesel in it and went the Holley route instead. Someday I'd like to find a wrecked Dodge for a good price and put a 5.9 in it.

Thanks again for the responses.

BigTex

Observer
Yeah I would consider the 78 body on it but that pickup was my Grandfathers. He bought it in 1984 and drove it from Alaska to Wyoming when my Grandparents finally moved back. I have heard its a real pain to put the 7.3 in a pickup that body style too.

Well, what better way to honor you grandparents than to make their old truck like new...and hey, if it was easy, there'd be women and kids doing it! Hehe, I'm just messin' with ya....but it would be an awesome ride!

BigTex

Observer
This is in the back of my mind for when the body goes bad on my '98 Dodge 3500. Putting a Cummins in a Ford gets you a Fummins, so I think I would call my version a Fodge!:sombrero:

I like it! Or...Ford + cUmmins + doDGE = FUDGE.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke