Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Off Road South Island New Zealand.

Default Off Road South Island New Zealand.

The idea of getting a 4x4 was driven by my desire to take the dogs away from the public areas a little. Perhaps we could just go up the river a bit?
    There is a great tale to be told about selling my '67 Firebird Convertible and using the cash to buy the 1978 BJ40 . But I think that's for another thread.

First thing we did was join the local 4x4 club . This was the Land Rover Club and several members were a bit miffed at having a jappa in their midst especially as it was only 3 yrs old and their trucks were closer to 20yrs. The controversy was still alive 10yrs later , despite more Cruisers, Nissans and Suzuki joining. But I digress .....

The truck came via Japan and Australia , it was fitted with Gleeson diffs (front and rear) , power steer , monsoon shields , bull bars , wide wheels , snorkel , Recaro seats , CB , overhead console , centre console etc.

We were thrown in to the deep end , first trip out .
    A days fun up the Ashley river , we go down the Okuku , to the confluence with the Ashley , then down stream to some random exit track . Sound good.

First thing , we have never done a river crossing and the okuku is in flood

Trevor "the submarine" goes for a short walk , looks at the crossing , mutters something unintelligible under his beard , gets back in his truck and dives right into it

PHEW ..... Well if thats how its done ............... "what gear should I be in?"

And so the day progressed in fact , so the years with the club progressed . Huge fun ., lots of learning , more fun . I hope you find some of the pics of interest.

Erewhon/Mistake Flat trip

Last edited by Dusty-NZ; 06-27-2013 at 03:42 AM.

Camping out .

Esk Head

Waipara River

On one of the trips up the Mathias River , it snowed and the rivers came up so we had to stay an extra day before it was safe to leave.
    Story ... Markus was Swiss , so in the morning after the snow , he ran up the mountain behind us ('cause he could) his tale when he got back ... said with proper swiss accent " well we have the good news and the bad news, the good news is , we can see the Rakaia , the bad news is , it has only one crossing "

The Rakaia river is a mile wide up there , that was a LOT of water. So we waited while it went down enough.

First there got the musterers hut

Late comers camped in the snow ...

Last edited by Dusty-NZ; 06-27-2013 at 03:59 AM.

The weather gradually cleared

To become a stunning day

Of course , we still had the river to contend with

The closer we got the the south bank (Glenfallock Station) the dryer it got

more later.

Assorted Lake Daniels trip pics

The track follows Station Creek, to Thompsons Flat , where there is a hut.

Thompsons Flat

At one point , the flat was going to be sold to a timber company and we all feared that the great Lake Daniels trip would be lost. So a group of us formed the Wilderness Lands Co. and bought the Flat and a new hut has been built at the other end.

More Lake Daniels trip action

Thats ok , I'll just go around here and give you a tow ......... oops ....

Did you see the spring shackle protectors on the new bull bars.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast