Older Trooper Q's/Feedback

CLynn85

Explorer
91 Trooper, v6, manual tranny. I know the aftermarket is scarce, what about parts availability. Any known problems/caveats? How strong's the drivetrain? Boxed frame?

There's one here for sale for $800, body's a little dented but good running order. Considering it for a special project.

Scott Brady

Founder
Not recommended. The 2.8v6 is problematic.

If you could find one with the 2.6 4, the recommendation would be different :)

CLynn85

Explorer
Thanks Scott, just what I needed to hear. I believe that 2.8 was a GM motor. Think I'll let that one slide on by and keep looking. On the other hand, that means a nicely built little 4.3 should bolt right up....:ar15:

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
I second Scott's statement, I've heard nightmare stories with the GM 6. I owned two Troopers, first was an '87 (last year with out EFI) and an 88 SE with the fuel injected 2.6 and five speed. I loved that truck. Great use of space inside. It always seemed a bit flimsy to me but it was relatively light for it's size. The motor had a good mix of power/fuel economy. The only problem with these engines is that they have a tendency to crack heads if driven hard for long durations. I had to do several head swaps on my two, and did one on my dad's '86 for him too. If there is a kit available, I'd recomend doing a suspension upgrade to increase the payload as the spring rates were too soft. Other then that though, as a daily driver and vehicle to bring alot of gear to the trailhead, they make great vehicles. I did take mine offroad alot, but on easier trails like White Rim and unimproved road type surfaces. There are just so few good ones left due to how prone they are to rusting.

david despain

Adventurer
if that is the same gm based engine that was in the rodeo of the same era then i have another bad comment to add. my motherinlaw had one with about 80k miles that died on her. loss of oil pressure and power and bad heads etc. required replacement. unfortunatley she was already upside down on the thing and had to put another 3 grand into it for the eng replacement so she could get to work to pay the thing off.....:( got lousy milage as well. just my story though, but it sounds like others have had the same experience

datrupr

Expedition Leader
I have to agree with Scotton staying away from that particular V6, but if you can find one with the 2.6 I4 that is pretty much rust free, then go for it. I had a 95 Rodeo with the 2.6 and this motor was great. Very torquey, decent power, and decent mileage and it should last for close to forever. Mated to the 5 speed manual and it was a pretty fun truck to cruise around in both on and off road. There are plenty of aftermarket parts available for the older Troopers, and OME makes a few different suspension set ups for them that will run you around $400 or so. If you can find a good deal on a 4cyl then go for it, it would be a cool project to watch you build up.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Also, the holy grail of early troopers is the diesel version that was sold in the states, but not in any large numbers.....

datrupr

Expedition Leader
upcruiser said:
Also, the holy grail of early troopers is the diesel version that was sold in the states, but not in any large numbers.....

I'll second that. If you can find an 87 or 88 diesel it will be like you have struck gold. A couple of months ago there was one for sale on Ebay for about $1500, and it looked to be in great shape.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior