INSTANT OVERLANDER: Mikey's Transitory Sprinter Camper

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Hi Mike, nice job and the whole thing looks great! Really impressed with your MPG too.

I haven't seen too many of these, there are some running around town. Saw one with the Benze emblem, another Dodge, so I was a little puzzled at first. Thinking they were a Benze in the passenger style I saw $$$$$$$, lost interest quickly. Then I saw some on CL, $4K for an 03, 200k, they range up to 15k for newer and fewer miles. so the Dodge seems very affordable. I now get it with the Benze 5 banger.

Anyway, thinking about selling my truck (12 mpg) for something more economical.

How reliable are these? The engines, I've not had a diesel but know a couple ex-Benze car owners who did, they had problems.

The other thing, looks like you have tons of room in there, how long is it inside from the back of the seats to the back door and what's the width?

Last question, how is the ground clearance, can the be raised a bit easily?

Oh, sorry, one more, I saw a 4x4 version could be had, what does the conversion run, approximately?

Thanks much, I really like your rig! :Wow1:

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Hi Mike, nice job and the whole thing looks great! Really impressed with your MPG too.
Thanks for the compliments and, yeah, the fuel economy has been freaky good. Pretty speed dependent. I'm guessing I'd lose a couple mpgs running at a constant 70, and maybe slip out of the 20s running 75. (Still not bad, though, for something that big.)

I haven't seen too many of these, there are some running around town. Saw one with the Benze emblem, another Dodge, so I was a little puzzled at first.
You have a right to be confused, because it's confusing.

Start with Freightliners. Freightliner was and is owned by Diamler-Benz, so ever since being first imported in 2002, there have been Freightliner badged Sprinters. Then there's Dodge. Dodge was owned for a while by Daimler Chrysler, and during that time there were Sprinters badged and sold as Dodges. That continued until about 2008, when the Daimler-Chrysler partnership broke up. So in 2010, Mercedes started selling Sprinters as their own at a small number of dealers (though the number has been growing). The urban legend (perhaps true) is that Mercedes didn't want all the plumbers and dog groomers and other van buyers mixing in with the S-Class prospects at the Mercedes showrooms, so even though the vans are Mercedes-badged everywhere else, the U.S. dealers didn't want them. But by now, the Sprinters are sophisticated swoopy-looking things with lots of upscale appeal--and it's easy to spend $50K-plus on one--so the outlook has changed.

HOWEVER, they are all made in Germany on a Mercedes assembly line, and except for the badging, there's no difference among the brands. And since the vans are MBzs everywhere else, it was easy to buy Mercedes grills and badges, so for a few hundred, it was easy to change the Dodge and Freightliner models into a Mercedes, which is why you can find lots of the old T1N models badged as a Mercedes. My first Sprinter was a Dodge, but you wouldn't know it because of the Mercedes badging.

How reliable are these? The engines, I've not had a diesel but know a couple ex-Benze car owners who did, they had problems.
Toughest question ever. It's probably not too helpful if I tell you it's a crapshoot. Some of the trucks, especially the ones with the inline 5 ('02 to '06), pile up legendary miles without incident. 300 or 400K miles is not uncommon and one guy has 850,000 miles without major troubles. But for every guy who writes in and says "Just passed a quarter-million without troubles," there's a guy whose "piece of junk has been nothing but problems." Of course, if I went to a Duramax, Powerstroke, Ford, Dodge, whatever, forum, it'll be full of people with problems, so you can't judge very well from the negative reports.

But in common with all modern trucks, the Sprinter is complex and computerized and can fail in ugly ways. My '05 was running perfectly, but when I loaned it to the AdventureDuo for a couple of months, they had three things go wrong. After I got it back, I never had a problem, and the new owners haven't had a glitch, either. Weird. My own opinion is that Sprinter reliability is generally good, but that they react poorly to a lack of maintenance, and that the small service network and the relatively low number of mechanics with long-term expertise hurts. That said, the advantages of the van over the competition usually make the tradeoff worthwhile. (And neither the E-Class or Express/Savana have been reliability wonders.)

The other thing, looks like you have tons of room in there, how long is it inside from the back of the seats to the back door and what's the width?
On both the T1N (old) and NCV3 (new) models, the cargo floor of the shorter model (ignore the super-short T1N) is about 10.5 feet long. but you can get a giant NCV3 with a load floor that's over 15 feet. A T1N is about 70 inches wide at its widest, the NCV3 is a couple of inches wider. The van body is very curved, so the width at the ceiling is considerably less (which makes for wacky overhead cabinets . . . a foot wide at the bottom, 4 inches at the top).

Last question, how is the ground clearance, can the be raised a bit easily?
There's an easy inch to be gained by going to taller tires, but nothing much beyond that. Recognize, though, that on my T1N, for example, there's already 9 inches of clearance at the suspension and 13 inches under most of the undercarriage. Those are good numbers out of the box (better than a Wrangler Sport), so ground clearance is probably not a major issue.

DSC01053 cropped.JPG

Oh, sorry, one more, I saw a 4x4 version could be had, what does the conversion run, approximately?
Figure $20-$30K. Really expensive, but it's all custom engineering, unlike where E-Class converters can use Ford pickup components and charge half that. Still, if I converted my Sprinter, I'd have a go-anywhere secure camper for under $60K, which compares favorably with a lot of less-comfortable alternatives. The reason I don't do it is that the 2WD Sprinter is good enough for most everywhere I'd want to go.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Well, my friends, it was "Mikey's Transitory Sprinter." But the Force is strong and I've once again failed to leave well enough alone. My "interim" Sprinter build, made up of camping gear, bits of plywood, and various leftover components is about to become a good deal fancier and less ad hoc.

It's still a stopgap Sprinter in that I'll continue to keep watch over the new Euro-type vans coming out, including the Dodge Promaster, Ford Transit and the 2015 Sprinter which might possibly have an all-wheel drive system. So in a couple of years, I may sell this one and spend big bucks on a new setup.

But this supposedly-temporary '03 Sprinter has worked out just fine. The performance is excellent, the van is solid, the fuel economy fantastic and, since swapping the cargo springs for the passenger version, it rides and handles exceptionally well. After having used the van for half-a-year, it's clear that using it as the basis for a nice camper will be no hardship.

The initial step was to get some light and ventilation for the van, which came with rear glass and a sliding door window, but none of them opened and it was still pretty dark. I would have liked to have put in Seitz-style double-pane acrylic awning windows like those I had in my first Sprinter. Unfortunately, the hassles involved with obtaining these windows, making sure they send the right size and hoping they don't get damaged in shipping were more than I wanted to mess with again.

Fortunately, a company called Peninsula Glass (which sells RV windows under the name Motion Windows) is only 40 minutes from my house. Peninsula Glass has, for a long time, made the windows that exactly match the cutouts on the T1N Sprinters. There's not a lot of variety in what they sell for Sprinters; all of the windows have solid glass in the top half and a 50/50 horizontal slider window across the bottom. You can chose tinted or clear glass--I picked clear because we have more gloomy days than bright days--and the panel where you want the window.

Sprinter glass in reduced.jpg

Anyway, yesterday, in a couple of hours, the inside of the Sprinter went from cave-like to greenhouse-like.

Sprinter glass inside reduced.jpg

The sheer size of the windows made the size of the sliding glass adequate for my needs; it's essentially a quarter of the cutout area, which makes the sliding window almost three feet long. As I say, I would have preferred awning windows, but this is a pretty good alternative. (The windows can't be full height because the Sprinter sidewalls are too curved for a full-height piece of glass to move without binding.)

So, now we've got windows, and it's time to get some insides. Perhaps not surprisingly, given the happy results from conversion of my EarthRoamer XV-JP Wrangler and the rear cabin of my LX470, I'll be headed up to partake of the craftsmanship of fellow Northwesterner, Paul Jensen. I've already bought a lot of the bits that need to go in the truck, and it's all loaded up for delivery to Paul.

Sprinter glass contents.jpg

I'll be meeting with Paul tomorrow and we'll keep you informed in a separate build thread.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Awesome Mike, looking bright and cheery inside!!

Looking forward to Jensen build numero tres!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier