2003 E350 4x4 Diesel Ambulance for sale

I just wanted to get your opinion on this ambulance. I had chosen a 09 Tacoma DC for the platform for our Pan Am journey, but I came across this today....03 Ford Diesel 4x4 ambulance for $7500. The only thing that really turns me off is the odometer - 250,000km. Not a ton of km by some standards but its been through harsh winters in Newfoundland with lots of salt on the roads.
They told me the conversion alone cost them $25,000. It comes inspected and a fresh white paint job will be done prior to sale. What do you think?

Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    554.2 KB · Views: 147

Off Duty

Adventurer
If it's inspected, the engine is good, and there's not a ton of rust on the body/frame, I'd look real seriously at it.
If it has the 7.3, you're golden. That mileage is noting for a well maintained 7.3.
If it's the 6.0, look at the maintenance records for any/all repairs. Look for head studs, and some of the other well documented 6.0 issues.

The high top is a great starting point for travel and comfort.
As a ambulance, it should have the HD suspension, cooling and charging systems already in place, Oil coolers, and any other HD features that they may have added while in emergency service.
May save you some $$$$ in the long/short run.

And if they're willing to paint it too.....:)

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
That is a bargain if it is a 7.3. Just get someone to run the diagnostics on the engine. You will need to get a code reader that pulls more than the normal ODB11 codes (ford reader or Autoenginuity) they can read all the codes and also run the diagnostics on the engine including cylinder contribution, injector buzz test. Apart from that it is the normal vehicle inspection stuff. If this rig has the inverter etc still in it you are a long way ahead.

Just as a reference Maaco in Phoenix charged me $1600 to paint my box style ambulance (full color change).

If you get it and before you leave on the big trip I would suggest adding a fuel filter under the van as changing the one on the engine is a pain.

And give us a yell if you are heading through Phoenix on your way south. We lived in Newfoundland for 18 months (Duckworth St St Johns) and after the way the community took us in we will always have a place in our home for a Newfie.

Hey thanks for this extra info as well. I thought I deleted this from the SMB section when I realized there was a 4x4 van section.

imperiaus

I just wanted to get your opinion on this ambulance. I had chosen a 09 Tacoma DC for the platform for our Pan Am journey, but I came across this today....03 Ford Diesel 4x4 ambulance for $7500. The only thing that really turns me off is the odometer - 250,000km. Not a ton of km by some standards but its been through harsh winters in Newfoundland with lots of salt on the roads.
They told me the conversion alone cost them $25,000. It comes inspected and a fresh white paint job will be done prior to sale. What do you think?

Thanks!
что то больно много за краску хотят.

flightcancled

Explorer
I would have a body shop look at it before going to paint. If my ambo is any indication there could be layers of paint and vinyl on there. Worst case you have the body shop do some work then let them paint it.

Is there a way to make the red panels on the high top clear? I've been really curious about that for a while now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey sorry for the late reply. I did buy the vehicle!
This is how it sits now...
zuhe6a5e.jpg

After I bought it I spent many hours removing the decals, cleaning the exterior and interior, removing ambulance equipment and trying to devise a plan for the build. I don't have a garage to work on it and February weather in Newfoundland is less than ideal for working in the driveway so I'm waiting for the warm weather to hit before I start most of the work.

The goal for the build is to make a self sufficient, 2 person expedition vehicle that's Pan-Am capable. Most of the work will be done myself with the support of some local shops. The target date for departure on a minimum 8 month Central/South American journey is late September.

The focus right now is figuring out what the necessities are and how to go about it. Reliability for the 6.0 is at the top of the list and I've already been in contact with Chris at UJOR about that. A custom rear bumper that can take 2 mountain bikes is on the list along with 2 way fridge, water system, and basic custom interior build.

I'll start a build thread once I dig into it a little deeper. In the meantime, if you all have any suggestions or advice than let me know.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would have a body shop look at it before going to paint. If my ambo is any indication there could be layers of paint and vinyl on there. Worst case you have the body shop do some work then let them paint it.

Is there a way to make the red panels on the high top clear? I've been really curious about that for a while now.

There's no way to change the color of these unless you paint them. I was thinking about removing them, but it's too much work so I'm just going to put a white vinyl wrap over most of them.

flightcancled

Explorer
Actually not entirely true. I talked to my neighbor who makes prosthetic limbs and he heat forms plastic like that all the time. He said making clear ones should be a walk in the park for someone in his field

Actually not entirely true. I talked to my neighbor who makes prosthetic limbs and he heat forms plastic like that all the time. He said making clear ones should be a walk in the park for someone in his field

I guess there is a way to do it, but I think I'll just stick to the plan of covering them up with vinyl.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior