Expedition M116 Pioneer Tool Trailer Build Thread

chevyexpotruck

Observer
Well the M101 is a CDN military trailer. I bought it up here.

As for not being able to export, that is not true at all. You can export anything UNLESS it has an EUC (End User Certificate). I picked up my three pioneer tool trailers straight from the military base (after winning them from auction) and they clearly knew I was bringing them back to Canada. They had no problem as the trailers had no EUC attached to them.

Picked this one up in the fall without a problem as well (no EUC either).

20130414_161344.jpg

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Love this one The modern version of a pioneer. There is a build on here that uses one.
I see you have a container dolly too.

Are you a member on steelsoldiers.com?

Attachments

• 20130414_161344.jpg
    20130414_161344.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 558

Crush Jeep

Adventurer
Good looking build, what did you do to the inside if anything? Also I'm detecting a slight bit of sarcasm in your thread. :)

chevyexpotruck

Observer
Love this one The modern version of a pioneer. There is a build on here that uses one.
I see you have a container dolly too.

Are you a member on steelsoldiers.com?

That is a hydraulic tool trailer. Has (had) all the equipment inside to make/test/install hydraulic lines. It came with all the equipment inside when I bought it, but I recently removed it (as I don't do enough of that to justify committing a trailer for it).

That is another project which is currently on-going :peepwall:

Yes I am on that site. But I don't post much. Site has gone a bit downhill over the years the bigger it gets. Way too many "experts" over there if you know what I mean. But still a really good site for information.

Good looking build, what did you do to the inside if anything? Also I'm detecting a slight bit of sarcasm in your thread. :)

Thanks. Yes I have worked on the inside. I just haven't had time to do a write up on it yet. Second or third post might give you an idea ;)

Sarcasm? Yes I guess so. I find many people are just a little too serious when talking about their projects some times. Had a guy over today to look at a vehicle for sale and started telling me how the bolts on the tire carrier were not 100% original and that he only worked with 100% original parts on his vehicles, etc, etc. That sort of thing doesn't really impress me. I am not perfect (actually far from it), and I don't claim to be (hell I wouldn't have posted about dropping the trailer if I did). This is a hobby for me. Might as well have fun with it. I try to post what I have learned over the years from my mistakes so that maybe it will save others time and money. I actually get dozens of emails every year about another expo truck I built where people ask me how I did such and such, as well as asking my opinion on what they want to do (I just got another 2 emails today). If people want to listen then great. If not, then that is fine as well. Just wait. You haven't heard me talking about preparing for the zombie apocalypse yet! Then you can start to worry! :p

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
I like what you are building, I like the double hinge doors and rack.

I had gotten a lot of crap from the SS purists when I painted my M101A2 Red.
But after they saw my ideas and CHEAP conversions and builds some changed their minds.

FredB

Observer
This is a hobby for me. Might as well have fun with it. I try to post what I have learned over the years from my mistakes so that maybe it will save others time and money.

This.

I like it. If you ever have another one of those trailers, bring to Colorado for a wheeling, camping, drinking, profitable trip.

b63215b

Adventurer
Great job looks really nice, like the way you put some articulation in the lid on the trailer. Do you mind me asking what you paid for the initial trailer?

Cowboy59

Observer
Nice! Love the Pioneers

Great looking trailer. I have the same one. I went with a telescoping roof rack so I did not have to cut the doors. Only thing is I have to raise the rack to open the door. Swapped axles and did a spring under so my tent annex room was not too high off the ground.IMG_1289.jpgIMG_1326.jpg
I have not decided on a kitchen setup yet. Probably going to go the rear door with that. I have a 40 gallon water tank on the interior directly over the axle so that limits my kitchen placement. With 3 small kids they need a spray down every night! (if not hourly). I thought about doing a swing out kitchen on the rear so that it swings underneath my side awning. Don't know how that would go though...

chevyexpotruck

Observer
Haven't had time to do much with the trailer lately (been working on a generator trailer), but here is a pic of it setup (quickly) from last weekend (was about to rain and I didn't feel like pulling it open in the middle of the rain).

20140620_204118_zps41260d9a.jpg

Hoping to take pics of the kitchen setup next time.

Some pics of the generator trailer for fun.

20131020_130958_zps37151929.jpg
20131020_140317_zps74a23514.jpg
20131027_143504_zpsf3e04c53.jpg
20131116_130146_zps8bbf2750.jpg
20131117_155144_zps24f69752.jpg
20131124_135443_zps6dc6a5de.jpg
20140420_115709_zps93d6a838.jpg
20140420_115946_zps40081451.jpg
20140420_120044_zpsbc0445b5.jpg

Just gotta add fenders and some jerry can brackets and she will be ready to go.

Last edited:

Cbyxbee

I built a trailer very similar to this is well, glad to share my results of you are still active with this site. Cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles