Southern Washington Trip in my Audi

G0to60

Observer
So this trip isn't anywhere close to some of the great ones on here but this is my first dip into the expedition style camping. My wife, brother, and I decided to do the first southern part of the Washington Backcountry Discovery Route (WABDR) last weekend. Ever since I bought my Audi allroad I thought it would be perfect for some fun trekking through the mountains of the PNW and, if that went well, perhaps traveling farther. Anyway, enough of the extended prologue. On to the trip.

We got a late start out of Portland, OR on July 5. My brother was coming over from Astoria so we met up to grab some groceries and talk about the route we would take. The plan was to start off in Carson, WA and head north along Forest Service roads from there. I had driven the lower portion a couple of weeks ago on a day trip and found that the roads were in great shape.

We weren't sure which campground we wanted to stay at. Council Lake was tops on our list because it was a little more remote and it was free. :wings: Because we were late in getting out of Portland (around 4:30) we got in at Council lake around 8pm or so and found one of the last camping spots. For a free campground it wasn't too bad. It had an outhouse, fire rings, and good access to the lake. Here is home for the next couple of days.

After a little unpacking the dogs decided to fight over who was going to sit near my brother. It was a stale mate.

The next day we decided to check out the lake. This is a great little alpine lake that looks to be only fed by the snow pack. I couldn't find any in-flow and the water was so clear and surprisingly warm(ish).

Andy (my brother's dog) got right into it and was checking out the water. This was his first time up in the mountains at a lake as my brother got Andy when he lived in New Orleans. He had a ball.

My wife and my dog Romeo was not too amused with the water. He's a Chinese Crested (ie hairless dog) so he's not a fan of the cold but he is a trooper and was trudging through the bush like his larger friend. It was exhausting so we all took a nap for a bit back at camp.

I decided to take to the water for a little tour of the lake. It's not a very big lake but big enough for some good exploration. There was very little wind and the water was perfect for paddling. I also got to see an Osprey (I think) going after a Bald Eagle that got too close to it's nest. I tried to get some pictures of them but I'm no photographer so they aren't the best.

So we settled in for the evening around the fire and I decided to play with some of the settings on the camera. Believe me. The fire was not exploding out of the ring but the effect is pretty cool.

The next day we decided to pack up the cars and hit one of the other lakes on the way out when I saw that we had a "little" stow away on the hatch.

So we head up the road a bit more to check out Takhlakh Lake and get some more boating. On the way we got some great views of Mt. Adams peaking through the trees.

Then we got to the lake and got a much better view of the mountain. Last year a group of friends and I climbed that mountain so I could see where we ended up.

G0to60

Observer
After some lunch we decided to hit the water so the dogs donned their life jackets and we took to the lake.

This was Romeo's first dip into kayaking but after some trepidation he got a bit more comfortable and was having a blast as we tooled around the lake (you also get a shot of my ugly mug).

We got our fill of the lake a decided to hit the road. My brother was meeting my parents at another lake near White Pass, WA that same day so he wanted to get in before it got dark. On the final stretch there are some great lava piles near the road and some great mini-water falls right near the road.

After we got to Packwood we parted ways with my brother and headed home. It was a great trip, aside from the mosquitos, and I learned a lot on what I need and what I don't. Tops on the list is a folding table. We had to make do with either cooking in the back of the Audi and on top of the cooler. A fridge would be nice as well. Also, the Audi did great and didn't even break a sweat on anything we took it through. I plan on trying a few longer treks in the future.

Also, I went through the pictures and realize that we have A LOT of pictures of our dogs but that beats pictures of our charming faces. Sorry for the overload of canine. I hope you enjoyed the pictures and we are sure to do more of this in the future.

One last picture, finally back home and waiting for what everyone hates. The unpacking.

G0to60

Observer
Looks like I put this in the wrong spot. :-( I didn't see the "Completed Adventures" section so if a mod wants to move this to that more appropriate section that would be great. Sorry for the clutter.

jackkent

Wow! You definitely got an amazing adventure. Thanks for sharing us your pictures. It seems that your dogs are having fun. I have a dog as well and he's such a good buddy. If I will be given a vacation then I will definitely bring my dog along with me.

G0to60

Observer
Not too many dog pictures. That's nothing compared to my thread. Great area. Thanks...........

Yeah, I love the pictures of your dogs in the wheat fields. Such great pictures. If you make it out this way (I've been following your thread) check out the area. I think you and the dogs will love it.

G0to60

Observer
They make a new one now but it's no where near what the original was. It has slightly taller suspension and some different colored bumpers and flares. And it's based on the smaller A4 chassis and not the A6 that the original was based on. Kind of a bummer since Europe gets the real, larger allroad.

schmaged88

Nice trip!! I live in beaverton, my wife and I are buying a suburban to go exploring with, have you made it down to the central Oregon area? I love the desert area myself but the high lakes are awesome!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz