1960's "Expedition Trailer"

Robert Bills

Explorer
While looking through some old photos, I found this one of a Bantam trailer used by a member of the Chuckawalla Jeep Club in the 1960s. Several members of the club used Bantam trailers set up similarly. I remember these from when I was a kid. They were the ultimate setup at the time.

Unfortunately, this one has seen better days, but I know of at least one that has been maintained in it's original condition which sometimes appears at California Association of 4WD Clubs events, towed behind an early CJ. It always draws a crowd.

chuckwalla1.jpg

Robert Bills

Explorer
IH8RDS said:
Here it is

That's the one! Thanks for posting the photos. I never seem to have my camera when it surfaces.

Do you have any information about the owner/club affiliation/location of this trailer? I had this trailer in my mind while I was planning the restoration of my trailer. Until I managed to persuade the founder of CanBack to make a top for me, the top on this trailer was the basis for my design ideas. I would like to correspond with the owner, as I know the original owner of that trailer and the original owner of mine were acquainted. They weren't in the same jeep club (he was in the Chuckawalla Jeep Club and the original owner of mine was in the Drifters Jeep Club from Pomona CA), but each club had it's own ideas of how to set up these trailers and attended many of the same events).

PS - Would it be possible for you to forward copies of these photos to me by e-mail? I would like to add them to my collection of trailer photos, but can't seem to manage downloading them from this site. Thanks.

Last edited:

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
Robert Bills said:
............. I would like to add them to my collection of trailer photos, but can't seem to manage downloading them from this site. Thanks.

You should be able to click on the thumbnail to bring up the larger image. Once the larger image is displayed, right click on the image and you should get a small window with options. Use the "save as" option to save that image to your PC.

Hope that helps.

IH8RDS

Explorer
I can email them to you. Just PM me your address. I originally saw it in a 4Wheel Drive & Sport Utility magazine article a while back. But unfortunately I do not have any more info for you. I will look for the old magazine, but I don't know if I still have it.

I too considered going this route, but after being on this site I will probably end up fabrcating a lid and installing a RTT. When I first saw you trailer it reminded me of these trailers. Yours looks allot lighter
:camping:

Lynn

Expedition Leader
Cool trailer, Robert!

I wonder why they hinged the chuck box lid to raise up, rather than drop down to create a work surface?

Inquiring minds want to know!

BMAN

Adventurer
I've had the pics of the first one in my archives for a while now. That 2nd one is SICK!

Robert Bills

Explorer
IH8RDS said:
I can email them to you. Just PM me your address.

PM sent.

I originally saw it in a 4Wheel Drive & Sport Utility magazine article a while back. But unfortunately I do not have any more info for you. I will look for the old magazine, but I don't know if I still have it.

Thanks.

I too considered going this route, but after being on this site I will probably end up fabrcating a lid and installing a RTT. When I first saw you trailer it reminded me of these trailers. Yours looks allot lighter
:camping:

My recollection is that the guys in the Chuckawalla Jeep Club used top bows from early CJ Kayline tops with an aluminum skin. The canvas was a cover for the entire unit and needed to be removed in camp rather than rolling up the sides/rear. The fold down beds were from military ambulances.

The reason the chuck box lid (in the trailer photos I posted) folded up rather than down to make a work surface was because the box was in the front of that trailer a fold down lid would interfere with opening the cooler mounted to the drawbars. The photos of the "good" trailer you posted show a chuck box with fold down lid on the side of the trailer, hence no limitation on how the chuck box lid could open.

Robert Bills

Explorer
expeditionswest said:
I am a sucker for classic kit.

Me too. That's why it took so long for me to restore my trailer and design the modifications. I wanted to keep it true to original (with modifications that could be unbolted and original parts re-installed), and I wanted the modifications to be "retro" and consistent with the jeep trailers used in the 1960s when I first encounted the "Chuckawalla" trailers pictured.

If you find my very first post here, I explained that my trailer was purchased from the original owner by my father in 1966 and has been in the family ever since. In the last 40 years it has been all over the American Southwest and Mexico (including to Cabo before there was a highway).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles