Confession | Forward Control

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
So is now a good time to talk about the other Willys that will be on the trip too? :)

smugshot_7119745-L.jpg

I see my old rack off the Disco has found a new home eh? How is that running now? Crazy how well that chasis fits that body. Dayum.

TJDIV

Adventurer
It's a 4 speed.

Yes, Kristian- same rack. Runs great, fit like a glove. I know TJ is working away on the details as I type.
Going to be cool for sure.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
It's a 4 speed.

Yes, Kristian- same rack. Runs great, fit like a glove. I know TJ is working away on the details as I type.
Going to be cool for sure.

The wagon needs its own thread. Pretty sure that combo is a first, folks might find it interesting. Might start a heated discussion with loyalists. hahaha

tjtoytech

I agree with the need to keep the FC old school (at least, for a little while) . After further review, and off-road testing, the suspension and wheel/tire combo is perfect as it sits. The body is solid, and patina is legit. Everything works as it should in 1960.

In my opinion it doesn't "need" anything at this point! Nothing better than starting with a solid foundation. :smiley_drive:

This is going to be a fun one to have in the fleet :wings:

Silvanus

Observer
FC's Rock!!! Good call on keeping it in the 60's! Hard to believe it's in such good shape!

Buono Fortuna ( Good Fortune ) on your endeavor!

Carlo

Desert Dan

Explorer
Maybe they had overheating issues with the camper on the back. Doesn't the FC 170 have a vent at the rear of the cab to let out hot air?

TJDIV

Adventurer
Well, I spoke too soon on the running hot part. Not that it was running extremely hot, but more than we wanted to allow. After some coolant system mods it was in much better shape. However, it sounds like a valve spring went, so we need to dig into that.

On another note... the camper has seen its day. It rained the night I flew in from NYC and the ceiling collapsed ( not sure if the PO was just not paying attention, or flat-out lied about it, either way NBD )

The moment we realized we had to gut it ( and debated fixing it )
i-PfpGbVk-L.jpg

Mold was actually throughout the insulation :(
i-8Q6BHHb-L.jpg

Surgery & a plan:
i-GdCgGdh-L.jpg

5 straight SUPER late nights at the shop prepping for UPO2013:
i-2vgKXjG-L.jpg

Took the roof frame and welded it over the bed.
i-jDnVpdd-L.jpg

Two RTT's and an ARB Awning later and it was ready to rock and roll. But, with the value issue at the last minute we didn't take it on the trip.
i-M3cPC7G-L.jpg

Pics from this years Upper Peninsula Overland trip are up on our UPO Facebook Page too if you want to check them out.

More to come!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz

Members online